Mark Engelbrecht

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Introductions :: Who Are You?
August 12, 2013, 07:43:42 PM
Hi Guys
My name is Mark Engelbrecht, I am from South Africa.
I have read a great deal of the posts on this site and have learned a lot - Big ups to all the contributors, thanks.
I have gone on a few small scale GT trips and am totally hooked!
Here is a pic of a small GT I caught in Mauritius, I am using a STSW 10k, JB 60LB and a Smith 80P so matches Geets of this size somewhat.
Cheers
Mark

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 12, 2013, 07:51:02 PM
You probably don't realise it yet but that fish has just cost you a fortune and caused many sleepless nights.

Regards,

Trevor

Mark Engelbrecht

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 12, 2013, 09:29:37 PM
Hi Trevor
I think Im starting to realise, my (modest) lure collection costs more than all my previous fishing outfits combined
Even with the bad reviews on the SWB, I want one or two and I am starting to see justification in Carpenter Rods (well the cost thereof, same for RF / Fisherman / and so on) - this type of fishing is an illness!
ha ha
Cheers
Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:33:32 PM by Mark Engelbrecht

Jack Benson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 25, 2013, 03:06:28 PM
Hello to all on this awesome fishing forum.
I live in Darwin,
Northern Territory where we are finding it very difficult to find any information on the local GT population.
There is however many likely looking places to find GTs and have been playing with very small GTs and brassy trevallys to around 22 pound which has been awesome
Our goal at the moment is to find GTs in the 20-30 kilo range and heard bits and pieces on where to come across fish like this.

It's great to see a forum like this where everyone seems to help out each other to progress the sport as opposed to other forums where it's all about telling everyone how good you are!

The search continues and hopefully will have something to contribute in the future cheers from the north !

max renigado

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
September 06, 2013, 07:32:40 AM
aloha from hawaii! I'm max, I fish primarily on the island of maui. Landbase is my preferred method to catching a GT.

on Facebook, I run a group called Plugging Hawaii.

If any one here wants a crack at landbase GT fishing in Hawaii, this group of fishermen can  help you catch one on your visit.
Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:28:32 PM by max renigado

Jason Haack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
October 14, 2013, 08:50:07 PM
Hi All,

New to Dampier WA coming from Darwin. Thought I might try this GT thing out to see what all the fuss is about and man I have been blown away with how much fun and pain can be had in one day. My new rig only arrived in August so have only been at this for a short time. Wife is concerned how much I'm spending on gear but I'm convinced she'll get over it :o.
Will post a trip report showing some local action.
Turning into a total GT addict but hey there's nothing wrong with that is there?

Cheers

Jason.

Lorenz Seebauer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 17, 2013, 10:21:28 AM
Hi guys

my name is Lorenz. I'm 24 years old and from germany. I have been reading here since months and as I just came back from my first saltwaterfishing trip I decided to show up here. This forum was very helpful for preperation and I would like to thank the users and administration. I will do my best to come up with some nice pics and storys in the future. 

This time I only caught one GT on a sebile stick shadd 182 and unfortunately it was totally inhaled with both single hooks gripping...

Best regards Lorenz
Best regards Lorenz

Chris Rowbottom

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 12, 2013, 03:31:32 AM
Hi All!
This site is phenomenal!
I live in Boston and I am hoping/dying/trying really hard to get to the South Pacific to get some good diving in and especially popping for some GT's!
You only live once, right?
Thanks for a a terrific resource!
Chris
 :)

Willem Johan van Eerden

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 14, 2013, 03:27:41 AM
Hi, my name is Willem Johan, I am 27 years old, I come from the Netherlands and I'm new here. Have a fair amount of experience in freshwater fishing but not a lot in saltwater fishing.
Saw a few videos of GT and Tuna popping and now I can no longer sleep at night haha (Far Out - Popping the Laccadives and Jurassic Park Socotra) Absolutely cool videos!! I believe one of the guys from Far Out is a Dutch guy right? Have already been reading quite some articles here but still have to find my way around. Looking forward to catching up with this awesome form of sportfishing.

Kind regards,
Willem Johan

Rob Powell

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 10, 2014, 09:56:56 PM
Hi,

Rob Powell from Sydney, Australia.

Love the bluewater and marlin fishing especially. My biggest GT and dogtooth are currently circa 1kg in weight respectively. I hope to find some big ones as they bucket list for sometime!

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
February 18, 2014, 03:02:59 AM
Gerhard Delport from South Africa, working in Saudi Arabia...

I have not had the chance to target GT's before although I have a lot of salt water lure fishing experience around the ME and Africa.

I have done some jigging for AJ's in Angola in the past...

I am planning a trip to the Mussendam in April and then a trip to Vanuatu in September this year...

I am pretty sure I will be able to share some GT photos and maybe some Doggie's as well by the end of 2014.

I am reading and learning a lot here about the soon to be new obsession...
Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:38:17 AM by Gerhard Delport

Hector Robles

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 24, 2014, 09:36:31 AM
Hector Robles
Live and work in Kailua-Kona, HI

Recently got into launching plugs from the coastline. I haven't caught anything yet but occasionally launching a plug for 30 mins on my way to and on my way back from work with hopes of hooking up is good fun.

Thank you to everyone for contributing to the wealth of knowledge in this forum. I've learned A LOT from reading through the posts....

Best regards,

Hector Robles

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 01, 2014, 09:11:26 AM
Hector Robles
Live and work in Kailua-Kona, HI

Recently got into launching plugs from the coastline. I haven't caught anything yet but occasionally launching a plug for 30 mins on my way to and on my way back from work with hopes of hooking up is good fun.

Thank you to everyone for contributing to the wealth of knowledge in this forum. I've learned A LOT from reading through the posts....

Best regards,

Hector Robles

Thank you!

We believe this is the best single source for information on the pursuit in existence...past present and perhaps future :)

Patrick Tomkins

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 14, 2014, 01:52:11 PM
Hi everyone,
My name's Patrick Tomkins and I'm 25 and from Melbourne. I love lure fishing of all types and after recent trips to the Cook Islands and Vanuatu I have well and truly caught the popping and jigging bug. I've just gone back to uni to do a PhD in marine biology which has its pros and cons - it means i spend a lot of time near water (and I never leave the house without a rod of some description) but it also means my relatively meagre scholarship is quickly disappearing as my collection of equipment grows. I'm going on a trip to Swains Reef next month and am slowly building up my gear, hoping to catch my first doggie and first 20kg+ GT. This is an amazing forum and I've learnt so much from it, so thanks to everyone who has put in the hard work to get it up and running. Hopefully I'll have a successful trip report soon!

Cheers,
Pat

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 03, 2014, 08:47:54 AM
Hi everyone,

First of all thanks for the add!
I'm a GT virgin but hope to change that soonish. Awesome forum, many of you obviously really know what you're talking about.

Have done a bit of almost everything in terms of fishing with a trout and pike background in Germany. Moved to Sydney 4 years ago and LBG from the NSW rocks really reignited my love for fishing. Not in my dreams did I imagine catching gamefish from shore. Although I enjoy most kinds of fishing weather on terra firma or boat, the intense experience with the elements below imposing cliffs, sometimes live baiting and mostly casting lures at kingfish or tuna has become an obsession as my better half puts it ;)

Tight lines,
Felix