David Reverdito

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Introductions :: Who Are You?
May 09, 2007, 05:02:44 PM
Hi

Name is David, mainly a fly fisher but interested in the jigging and popping scene, love to catch big fish. My usual forum handle is duckbill, but it's nice to use proper names for a change  ;D  ;D  ;D

No popping gear as yet, just lurking really and trying to make my mind up. Got so much fly fishing tackle that I don't really have any room for other stuff, well not until the house gets an extension, then it's a different story  ;)  ;)  ;)

It's all about big fish though, my biggest fly caught fish to date is a 76lb cobia, I hope to add a big GT to the list some time soon ;D  ;D  ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 09, 2007, 05:13:01 PM
76 pound cobia on fly?!  :o
What a great effort! How long did that take to land?!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

David Reverdito

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 09, 2007, 06:45:10 PM
Brandon

Took around half an hour, on a 13 weight rod. Leader was jigging style 80lb mono - buggers live close to beacons so it's a bit touch and go but once away from the structure you can really get stuck into them. Had to have the drag plate on the reel replaced after though  :-[  :-[  :-[

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 09, 2007, 07:03:42 PM
Welcome to the forum David.

I've enjoyed your exploits over on Nat's forum.

Hope you can learn a fair bit and hook up with others - some pretty good info from some wise blokes going around in here.

Cheers,
Luke

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 09, 2007, 07:05:39 PM
wicked black king very impressive on fly
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Perrie Thomas

May 11, 2007, 12:36:03 PM
Hey guys, Perrie here AKA 'HOTRODS' on  other sites...2 thumbs to the team , great site...
its good to mingle with some fishing brains for a change..as a rod builder located on the far south coast of NSW its handy (and cheeper) to keep up with the trends online for my R & D side...ill just sit back and watch for a while and offer advise where i can...cheers HR

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 11, 2007, 01:07:28 PM
Hey guys, Perrie here AKA 'HOTRODS' on  other sites...2 thumbs to the team , great site...
its good to mingle with some fishing brains for a change..as a rod builder located on the far south coast of NSW its handy (and cheeper) to keep up with the trends online for my R & D side...ill just sit back and watch for a while and offer advise where i can...cheers HR

Welcome to the forum Perrie. Hope you (and us) can learn a thing or two off each other.

Cheers,
Luke

Chris Wong

May 12, 2007, 10:07:08 AM
My name is Chris Wong - ChrisW on other forums.  Cam suggested visiting here so thought I would register and join in the chat.  Nice to be talking about fishing a tad closer to home and also seeing a few familiar guys here.

My love is jigging although would love to indulge in some GT poppering some time. I'm involved in the NZ tackle industry.

Mark Savage

May 12, 2007, 06:00:44 PM
Hows things fellas! Mark Savage here aka 'sheds'.
Got the GT popping bug working in Gove, NE Arnhemland in the NT 6 years ago and it hasn't worn off. Some big trucks to be had up there and i was under-gunned for most of the time. Hoping to get into a few on my now annual pilgrimage to Exmouth in a few weeks.

Cheers,
sheds.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 12, 2007, 06:21:30 PM
Hi I'm Jay and I live in Karratha, north-west WA. I'm 18 years old and just getting into the GT popping and jigging scene (and loving it!).

The gear I use at the moment is;

Popping
Stella 20000/Saltiga GT86

Jigging
Stella 8000/Jigwrex PE5

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 12, 2007, 06:34:04 PM
G,day jay just curious on how you like the jig wrex i have a t curve and am allways looking at getting new stuff.Some nice gear you have ,stellalover go the stella
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 12, 2007, 06:49:50 PM
G,day jay just curious on how you like the jig wrex i have a t curve and am allways looking at getting new stuff.Some nice gear you have ,stellalover go the stella

G'day Cam. As far as value for money goes the Jigwrex is great. At 6' the PE5 is a bit long for my liking though and I would have prefered the PE6 (which is one piece). The PE3/4/5 are all two piece and the butt joint is nice and snug, no problems in that department yet.

There are a lot of much better jig rods than the jigwrex if you're prepared to part with the cash but it's certainly a much better rod than the T-Curve you're using at the moment.

Here's a pic of the PE5 loaded up to a trevally.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 12, 2007, 07:07:24 PM
Jay - what have you found that they improved with the Jigwrex over the T-Curve? I've used both rods although I don't own either. I've always thought the T-Curve to be tremendous value for money and the Jigwrex is the same if you shop around. In comparison to the Smiths I normally use , I've found that the Smiths may feel a little better balanced and probably have a bit more guts down low but I don't know how much of this is the placebo effect considering it cost me so much money!!   :D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 12, 2007, 07:37:44 PM
Thanks 4 the info Brandon i havent used any but the t curve but i have had a tug on the smiths in Duncuns shop they are simply awsome.
Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 01:17:23 AM by Cam Foley
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 12, 2007, 07:54:04 PM
Jay - what have you found that they improved with the Jigwrex over the T-Curve? I've used both rods although I don't own either. I've always thought the T-Curve to be tremendous value for money and the Jigwrex is the same if you shop around. In comparison to the Smiths I normally use , I've found that the Smiths may feel a little better balanced and probably have a bit more guts down low but I don't know how much of this is the placebo effect considering it cost me so much money!!   :D

G'day Brandon, I've never actually used a T-Curve deep jig but those who've used both have mentioned the Jigwrex to be a more superior rod.