• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Introductions :: Who Are You?
March 10, 2007, 02:49:15 PM
Please introduce yourself for the benefit of the other forum members.

This will help us to build the forum for where Australian poppers & jiggers go for their information and to share their experiences. International fisherman also welcome ;D

You may also want to include some pictures of your best/favourite catches (and release ;))

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Introductions :: Who Are You?
March 11, 2007, 07:27:22 PM
Left a reply under Hi' I'm Bernie! Im didn't know which subject to put it under?
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 11, 2007, 07:34:52 PM
Left a reply under Hi' I'm Bernie! Im didn't know which subject to put it under?

No worries Greg.

That's fine ;D

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 11, 2007, 10:17:05 PM
Hi all

Nickname is squidgie, and you will probably see it all over in different forums. Im into spinning a lot of lures around sydney and south coast off the rocks, and livebaiting. I like using surface lures alot, and have been picking up all kinds of tips form the GT forums so I can target my fav fish around here-kingies' aka yellowtail kingfish....

Pretty ordinary season for me this summer. Bad planning has seen me out in crap conditions alot with not much to show. Been drilled a few times and what I have landed has just barely been legal. Going to be concentrating alot with poppers now that I have some decent gear. Hoping to head north again soon and get stuck into some big GTs too....

Andrew

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 11, 2007, 10:54:32 PM
Hi all ,

My nickname is Sportfisherman and my real name is Jon , I live mostly in Jakarta - Indonesia and Bali whenever my presence in the office is not needed . I started GT popping in 2002 after meeting a few Japanese anglers , namely Mr. Mogi n companies ( Grouper boys ) and have fished with a few GT anglers from all over the world since then and my favourite GT fishing spots are Komodo and Sumba . I fish for YFTs with popping technique too , there is a good place to fish for YFTs not more than 3 hrs drive from Jakarta in the Indian Ocean shore of South Java , some GT can be found there too but nothing spectacular in size .

I have fished PNG but that trip is marred by tropical cylone Larry , we did not reach the intended fishing area and had to seek the calmer area along the Morobe coasts , would love to return to PNG again but that is not up to me because my PNG based friend will have to be the one to determine the time .

I am affliated with Carpenter rod manufacturer and only deal with this brand , we attempt to give the best advise on which rod that will suit each individual angler but without being able to see how one casts , it's difficult to judge what one is capable of with such and such rod , past experiences with such and such rod
will help narrow the choises .

I am not a young bloke , 57 year old who has been fishing from the tender age of 5 year old with mono line wound onto a condensed milk can , starting with tilapia n carp and then on to more serious target . Used to troll extensively but now I tend to doze off while trolling but come very much alive when popping , especially when the schooling fish is visible as such in the case of YFT popping . I fish freshwater lure fishing too and my favourite casting rods are G Loomis in IMX/GLX and my reels are a mix of Daiwas and Shimanos .

For me , fishing is my hobby and the other sports ( tennis ) is just to keep in physical conditions , it's been awhile I played tennis though !

Jon . 

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

superfly

March 12, 2007, 12:40:55 AM
Hey all,

Superfly here..AKA Capt. George Harris

Just getting started with this style of jig/pop fishing....

I operate a light tackle charter fishing operation off the coast of Maine in the N. Atlantic.
Specializing in fly-fishing the flats for Striped Bass, and run & gun fishing for BFT with fly & spin tackle. Also Avid fly-tying instructor and casting instructor

I have exstensively fished both coasts of florida. Snook, tarpon, redfish are my favorite targets for inshore fishing

Have started to become obsessed with GT fishing and the tackle required to land them...I will mention that I have never caught GT...but hope to fix that in the near future.

Hope to gain valued info from this forum and to share any fishing experiences that I have had

Neil

March 12, 2007, 10:17:25 AM
G'day all

I have been jigging and popping for a number of years now and I also have a long involvement in the tackle industry, so I hope I can provide some tips and answers to tackle questions.

Neil

Matt Hill

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 13, 2007, 10:19:31 PM
hi guys my name is matthew hill and i am from brisbane. just found this site/forum and already see some familiar names from other sites like this one. good to see an aussie one thats for sure. just starting out in the jigging and popping scene and living in brisbane  options are a little bit limited (not totally tho!!). keen on messing with some gt's and some serious ajs this season coming up. great start to a site and keep the info coming.

cheers matt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 13, 2007, 10:29:54 PM
hi guys my name is matthew hill and i am from brisbane. just found this site/forum and already see some familiar names from other sites like this one. good to see an aussie one thats for sure. just starting out in the jigging and popping scene and living in brisbane  options are a little bit limited (not totally tho!!). keen on messing with some gt's and some serious ajs this season coming up. great start to a site and keep the info coming.

cheers matt

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining.

We encourage 'noobs' here as we want this forum not only to service those who are experienced but those that want to embark on this kind of fishing :D

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want without hesitation...we are all here to help and learn from each other :D

Brisbane, i wouldn't be complaining mate. As Neil once told me "Queensland is a popper and jig fishermans oyster"  ;)

Cheers,
Luke
Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:31:51 PM by Luke Wyrsta

lonhro

March 14, 2007, 06:56:08 PM
Hi Guys,
           My name is Randy, i signed up to this site becuase i am very interested in catching a GT and popping in general. I am a uni student that is a late starter into the fishing scene as i have been fishing now for only 2 years so i have plenty to learn. I have found that members of this site have some very very reliable information and their advice obviously works. In the process of learning more about fishing i would love to make some more friends that have a common interest with me.
I hope that i am able to learn more about fishing and hopefully be able to help other people in the future who use this site. (one day)

cheers Randy

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2007, 07:50:14 PM
George - great to have someone here from the other side of the world! Love to hear of your captures over there jigging and popping

Hey all,

Superfly here..AKA Capt. George Harris

Just getting started with this style of jig/pop fishing....

I operate a light tackle charter fishing operation off the coast of Maine in the N. Atlantic.
Specializing in fly-fishing the flats for Striped Bass, and run & gun fishing for BFT with fly & spin tackle. Also Avid fly-tying instructor and casting instructor

I have exstensively fished both coasts of florida. Snook, tarpon, redfish are my favorite targets for inshore fishing

Have started to become obsessed with GT fishing and the tackle required to land them...I will mention that I have never caught GT...but hope to fix that in the near future.

Hope to gain valued info from this forum and to share any fishing experiences that I have had
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Matt Harvey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 15, 2007, 12:21:28 AM
Hi guys - My name is Matt Harvey ( as you may have deduced from my username  :P )  - I'm a pommie who is currently exploring the mysteries of the River Thames and uncovering some gems there......  ;) 
However I have also travelled the world quite extensively including 9 months travelling Asia, living and working in Sydney for 8 months, 3 months in Perth, 9 months in New Zealand and 6 months in South Africa.

I fish the salt when I'm abroad and recently lost what I think was a GT on a trolled Popper off the waters of Brazil, it took nigh on 300 meters of line and cause the boat was not too nimble (a big old traditional wooden fishing boat) we couldn't chase it quick enough, so had to put the brakes on and the wire trace I was using came apart  :-\ :-\  :'(

I really want to catch a decent one though so will use this for hints and tips for my next trip overseas.

Cheers

Matt-H

MarkR

March 19, 2007, 04:50:11 PM
Hi guys,

I'm Mark Richards from Singapore. Nice forum with some interesting topics already...hope to pick up some tips on GT popping here.

Cheers,

MarkR

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 19, 2007, 06:38:30 PM
Hi my name is cam i live in new zealand [tauranga] i did once live in australia a fished alot of mooloolaba i must thank Greg Burt for my addiction to jigging.I love to jig and mooved to NZ to tackle big king fish .The older dude is my dad he loves to jig and hunt
Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 09:05:52 PM by Cam Foley
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

voodoo

March 25, 2007, 10:35:16 AM
What a great forum!

Very glad I stumbled across it when looking for some info on jigging and popping outfits.

My name is Josh and I live in Sydney. I enjoy land based angling as well as getting out in my mates boat when I can.

I mainly target kingies around Sydney, but every year I head up towards Cairns to target black marlin, wahoo, dog tooth and GT's.

Look foward to chatting with you all soon.