Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
hey guys, I would like a popping rod targeting kingfih up to 20kg off the rocks, my budget is 500 aud, so ive nail;ed it down to the following rods and wondered what ypou think it the best value for money rod

saltiga 86- $550
Shimano Caranx KAIBUTSU S8012 DM- 8ft pe8-12- $550
Shimano Caranx KAIBUTSU S8208 LC- 8ft2 pe6-8- $550
daiwa monster mesh popping rod- $300
shimano t curve GT Special   8'   PE 3-8 $300
Shino GT POP PE8 8ft 6, pe8, $350

Obviously i like the idea of the shino, monster mesh and tcurve because of the price, is it worth the extra money for the shimano and saltiga rods? how do they compare with each other?

I would be fishing 60-80lb braid and would like the flexibility of casting a range of weights from 60-200 is this possible? if not what;s my best option?

Havent used these rods so just wanted you opinion on them. Im not familiar with the shino rods, how do they compare?

thanks guys

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
For the money and use off the rocks a monster mesh or the gt special are fine. I use a monster mesh for poppering and gar spinning and its served me well so far..

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Kaibutsu all the way in my opinion. If 20kg or so fish are your main target go with the long cast. Fine grit sandpaper the top bit before assembling the rod though or it will become a one piece rod before long. Use a fair bit of wax to ensure that it is easy to seperate after use. I have owned a GT 86 and a DM for quite a while and the DM is built better than the GT86 with the GT special build not near the DM. Good mate of mine used one for about 3 months here and it just looked so second hand after that it was not funny. And it was not the fish doing it either. I am talking epoxy fading, a hint of corrision on the stopper in the butt section etc. Others may differ on this but my feedback is based on personal experience with these rods.

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
thanks for the replies guy's I've nailed it down to the Carnx or the monster mesh.

I would prefer the monster mesh becaue of the cost but just want to know if you guys think it's worth paying double for the shimano? The carnx is hard to come by, but i did have a feel of the monster mesh and it does seem to have a fair bit off balls, enough to handle kings off the rocks.

Also I want to be casting a range on weights probably from 100-250 but more on the lower end of the scale do you think the monster mesh can handle it?

Andrew I've been wanting to get into spinning gars as well, do you find you can cast a fair distance given the low weight of the gars? care to share you rig and technique for spinning gar? do you use fresh or salted gar for this?

Cheers guys.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
From memory the Mesh is rated at up to 200grams for casting weights.  I haven't thrown any poppers around the 200gram mark on it as yet. I have used metals like raiders at 125grams and that works easily.

Else you could look at the GT T curve special which can cast heavier weighted lures.