Joey Falconi

Port Douglas / Cairns Report *Pics*
November 30, 2008, 11:46:06 AM
Just got back from a hectic 10 days in Port douglas. Spent most of it pissing it up in the pool bar but did manage 3 great days out fishing for Gt's.

Although this is my first post I have posted under another user before but for some reason I couldn't get my old log in to work. ::)

First trip headed out with Fafun boat charters (Sole charter) and hit a few close reefs - Bat Reef. The current was howling and their was fusis holding on almost every bommie. Bait and current = GT's so for the most part of the day the action was hot with plenty of hits, missus and bustoffs.  :o

I landed 11 Gt's from 9kg to 25kg. I donated a few poppers to one bommie that held a couple of 35kg plus gt's that just couldn't be stopped.

Day two started off slow. Why ? Cause my shoulders were acking from the day before effort. We trolled for the first 2 hours for 7 Spanish Mac, one shark mac and three longtail. Then once I got the shoulders warmed up it was back to the real fishing  ;D

First cast at the bait and bang I was on to a great fish. It went 53lbs in the old scale and pulled like a mac truck. The second days fishing was still consistant with fist every 20 mins.

My third days fishing was with Kerry Bailey. This guy is a lengend and knows his stuff when it comes to cairns . Trinity beach area.

This is my 4th Popping trip and I'm totally hooked. I lost every popper and went home ligher in the pocket ! But one things for sure I had a ball.

Just booked Kerry and Adam for 4 days each in Feb again. 8 days fishing Cairns and POrt Douglas. I can't wait.

Joey Falconi

Re: Port Douglas / Cairns Report *Pics*
November 30, 2008, 11:48:11 AM

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
November 30, 2008, 12:36:05 PM
Great pics Joey, good to see you got a good mixture of fish there.

i shall post a report myself soon on a trip we did from Cooktown through to Cairns. We got into some good GT's but no coral trout or red bass. Looks like you guys had some good weather

What sort of gear were you guys using?

Joey Falconi

November 30, 2008, 12:49:30 PM
Brock,

I was using an expidition and a tcurve loaded with 60lb saltiga braid. Leader was 80lb twisted leader. Poppers - River 2 sea 150. Luhrs 140gr and yo zuris.

Joey Falconi

November 30, 2008, 12:51:58 PM
Just went out a brought myself some new goodies !!!!!

Check em out.

The black lure is a captiva in black/ With crab shell pieces.

Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 01:00:47 PM by Joey Falconi

Ray Stevens

November 30, 2008, 02:18:58 PM
Great photos Joey !
Can I ask how many lures you went through ?

Cheers

Bwanna Surya

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 30, 2008, 04:29:37 PM
Nice report and pictures.....

Hi Joey...what is the standard hooks on that Captiva lure?

ST66 or ST76?

Cheers

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 30, 2008, 04:40:27 PM
The captivas come rigged with 4/0 ST76's.

Bwanna Surya

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 30, 2008, 05:26:18 PM

Not too bad IMO....since the lure rigged with their top end hooks...

Cheers Darren

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 30, 2008, 05:54:33 PM

Not too bad IMO....since the lure rigged with their top end hooks...

Cheers Darren
Bwanna they are a run-out item at a store nearby me and they are so cheap its rediculous.

I got about 20 of them to use as sacrificials. The colours other than the black inlay model pictured are walking out the door for $10 each. The fishish wears off quickly but who cares at that price.
Almost $10  worth of Terminals and they have a great action in calm water. I'm hoping to desytroy a few in Fiji in a couple of weeks.

Sorry for the highjack Joey,......nice fish, well done. Batt reef is my old stomping grounds when i fished out of Cow Bay.
Cheers Darren.
Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:56:23 PM by Darren Cook

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 30, 2008, 08:18:15 PM
The Captiva are an upgraded Gillies Popper, a little bit better paint job and a big upgrade of hardware from their std models, Jordan's thread was of the gillies stickbaits, cheap but work :-\ They are selling now at 1/3 the original price.

Jordan Hack's tread:http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=952.0
Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:20:52 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Joey Falconi

November 30, 2008, 08:42:21 PM
Great photos Joey !
Can I ask how many lures you went through ?

Cheers

Ray,

I lost 3 River to sea Dumbells in the 150 Size. I busted River to sea.
1 captiva in Black, 2 Yo Zuri Pencil Poppers and 2 yo Zuri Stick baits.

All up Nine lures. But remember I'm fishing 60lb so Propably a little light on  ;D

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 30, 2008, 11:22:18 PM
Nice Catches Joe, the old dumb bells create plenty of splash for a relatively easy to work lure.

Barbed hooks?? ouch ??? good idea to crush them down, trebles do enough damage without the barbs.
Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:23:55 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Mat Selwyn

December 01, 2008, 12:58:40 AM
great pics mate.
I like those captiva poppers, use them alot. I reckon the other colours are a bit easier to work than the black ones. All that epoxy makes em heavier and sit low in the water., cast further though. They were about 24 bucks last time I stocked up, I better get to the tackle shop and see if they are going that cheap up here will stock right up if they do. Speaking of black that big black trev looks mean as.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 01, 2008, 07:06:52 AM
Nice going mate, sounds like you had a good time!

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher