Janelle O'Connell

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The boys off Cooktown
November 24, 2008, 08:36:07 AM
I just had a phone call from the boys (Duncan, Brock, Scott and Jason) fishing the reefs off Cooktown.  They are just starting day 3 and are having an awesome time, including quadruple hook ups on GT's. 

They didn't talk for long - too much fishing to be had.  I am sure there will be plenty to report when they get back.

Janelle

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: The boys off Cooktown
November 24, 2008, 10:56:06 AM
  They are just starting day 3 and are having an awesome time, including quadruple hook ups on GT's. 

Now that's what I'm talking about - doin it in 4's - Yeah......  :o

would be quite interesting to see the out come of that? Looking forward to it.

8)

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 24, 2008, 02:00:43 PM
  They are just starting day 3 and are having an awesome time, including quadruple hook ups on GT's. 

Now that's what I'm talking about - doin it in 4's - Yeah......  :o

would be quite interesting to see the out come of that? Looking forward to it.

8)

maybe we should go up one day and beat their catch,s  ;D ;D ;D

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
November 24, 2008, 08:22:02 PM
triple hook ups sound like mahem..Me and 2 mates  had a tripple hook up on the 40ft Antares and it was the first ever triple hook up Le poisane Banane ever had!!It was crazy..

Janelle O'Connell

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 25, 2008, 12:41:34 PM
Had a quick chat to Duncan again today (the Sat. phone is too expensive for a long talk).  Day 3 was pretty tough fish wise.  He said the first couple of days was all or nothing.  Hours with no fish then full on.

Can't wait till they get back.  He forgot to pack his camera charger so I hope any big fish come in before the camera goes flat.

Janelle
(the one stuck at home)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 25, 2008, 12:56:53 PM
Nathan - you sure it was the first triple hook-up for LPB? I'd be surprised as they're actually reasonably common - you just have to find a school of fish. In the past two years, I'd say I would have been part of a triple hook up at least three times.

triple hook ups sound like mahem..Me and 2 mates  had a tripple hook up on the 40ft Antares and it was the first ever triple hook up Le poisane Banane ever had!!It was crazy..
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
November 25, 2008, 12:59:59 PM
Nathan - you sure it was the first triple hook-up for LPB? I'd be surprised as they're actually reasonably common - you just have to find a school of fish. In the past two years, I'd say I would have been part of a triple hook up at least three times.

LPB usually fish with no more than two customers. I think Nathan and his mates were the first customers on the Antares which caters for 4 anglers - so maybe he was LPB's first triple  ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 25, 2008, 01:01:04 PM
That's pretty typical for GT fishing though - hours with nothing and then it's on!
Have they left you running the shop? I think Duncan only has about another dozen trips planned in the next 12 months, doesn't he?!   ;D

Had a quick chat to Duncan again today (the Sat. phone is too expensive for a long talk).  Day 3 was pretty tough fish wise.  He said the first couple of days was all or nothing.  Hours with no fish then full on.

Can't wait till they get back.  He forgot to pack his camera charger so I hope any big fish come in before the camera goes flat.

Janelle
(the one stuck at home)

Aaron Concord

November 25, 2008, 09:10:30 PM
I hope the guys get to see a 'mobile bombie'.

These are a moving, mobile mass of GT's that typically move along the Ribbons during the marlin season.

I saw one in 2004 and there had to be 300 GT's in the school from 10-50kg....we had 2 quadrellas in that mahem....i t  i s   a w e s o m e!

If they see one of these it will make their lives, let alone the trip!  :o

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 25, 2008, 09:19:29 PM
I've seen the breeding aggregations a couple of times before. It's quite an amazing sight!

I hope the guys get to see a 'mobile bombie'.

These are a moving, mobile mass of GT's that typically move along the Ribbons during the marlin season.

I saw one in 2004 and there had to be 300 GT's in the school from 10-50kg....we had 2 quadrellas in that mahem....i t  i s   a w e s o m e!

If they see one of these it will make their lives, let alone the trip!  :o

Aaron Concord

November 26, 2008, 09:24:44 PM
Brandon,
I had a call from Brock Arifovic tonight (just before hitting the Pubs in Cairns!) and they DID come across one, hence the mayhem they had early in the trip.
They ran across a school of, his words, 'around 500' with the GT's ranging from 15-30+ kg....geez I'm stoked they got to see one!!

A W E S O M E !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron.