Joey Falconi

Smiths 80p/35 Vs Zenaq Forkeeto FC83-5
December 01, 2008, 11:46:37 AM
Hi all,

I looking on feedback on the following two rods to use as my medium popping rod matched to a dogfight loaded with 80lb.

Have you used them and are they similar ?

Thanks

Joe Falcone

Jack Lai

Re: Smiths 80p/35 Vs Zenaq Forkeeto FC83-5
December 01, 2008, 12:13:21 PM
I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago on another forum. The 80p has more power than a fc83-7.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
December 01, 2008, 01:27:40 PM
I am associated with Carpenter but when I fish with friends , we exchange outfits to feel each other's tool and I have tried both WRC80P/35 n FC83/7 belonging to friends ;

In my opinion WRC80P/35 has wider power band than FC83/7 which tend to saturate quickly . However I have seen a couple of WRC80P/35RF broke when used with excessive drag setting and 80 lbs. braided line should be the highest one should use with either rod and that's mean a maximum of 20 lbs INITIAL drag setting which can spike to more than double of the initial drag set , in the case of some reels and cause the breakage of the rod .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Jack Lai

December 01, 2008, 01:37:14 PM
I have the 80p and to be honest I was going to load it with 100lb pe line but after feeling the rod I went down to 80lb. At 8kg (pulled straight from the reel) the rod had enough bend when I loaded it straight down the tip at 3m from the tip I can go to 12kg. 70g-120g is what I tried on the rod, should do the 140g.

Colin P

December 01, 2008, 07:35:48 PM
I have the 80p and to be honest I was going to load it with 100lb pe line but after feeling the rod I went down to 80lb. At 8kg (pulled straight from the reel) the rod had enough bend when I loaded it straight down the tip at 3m from the tip I can go to 12kg. 70g-120g is what I tried on the rod, should do the 140g.

Hi Jack,

A fellow 80P man! :)

I've had the debate about line strength before and I do load my rod with 100 test JB hollow braid. This is nothing to do with the rod handling 100 test on a strike from a big fish or the progressive pull experienced during a fight - that is down to the drag setting on the reel. Rather it is the strength of line I know I can hold to breaking point when I have locked up the reel by palming the spool and the rod is pointing straight at a running fish I know I have to stop. I believe almost any rod can be broken on even 60 test braid using a progressive pull at a 45 degree angle - not that I intend to try!

So for me the set-up on my 80P is dictated by -
- the poppers/stickbaits the rod will handle on casting and working (it easily handles lures to 150g on both counts and I would not be shy of going to the rod's stated rating of 170g lures)

- the drag setting the rod will handle on the shock load experienced from a strike or sudden run from a big fish. I confess I don't get overly scientific on this - I basically set the drag such that line is released when the rod bends enough - enough = the bend on a sudden pull that I can absorb without me being in danger of being pulled overboard from a standing position!

- the line test I can handle on a straight pull locked up.

I think that the ideal set-up on any rod is a combination of what the rod can handle and what the fisherman can handle - and both are best proven "in the field". Get either one of these out of sync and you are asking for trouble.

Jack Lai

December 01, 2008, 11:52:02 PM
That rod is very easy to load. The rod has a good grip length as well. If I were to go 100lb, will there be an advantage in hitting the 100g-120g? I don't think so. 12kg is what I'm happy with on this rod even though I can handle more, so I reckon 80lb for 12kg is fair. May be some will have different views.

Joey Falconi

December 09, 2008, 10:13:33 PM
Got the rod. Am about to run some GT avani 90lb through it. Realistically no more than 12kg max drag on strike.