Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why? Why?! Why??!!!!
December 01, 2008, 10:33:54 PM
There is an article in the latest BlueWater which I find just outrageous. I don't normally get too worked up from fishing magazine articles but I just can't see how an article like this has a place in any responsible sportsfishing magazine. There is an article this month on catching tiger sharks from a trailer boat. Well, that seems ok until you read the article. These clowns kill three big tigers on the same day and as far as I can see, the only purpose is for a weigh-in and a photograph. I assume the carcasses are then dumped after the photo.

On page 28 of the magazine, there is an article where some environmentalist group wants to close the entire Coral Sea in Australian waters to any form of fishing. Can't they see that running articles like the one describes above is only providing ammunition for these green extremists?!

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Colin P

Re: Why? Why?! Why??!!!!
December 01, 2008, 10:43:56 PM
There is an article in the latest BlueWater which I find just outrageous. I don't normally get too worked up from fishing magazine articles but I just can't see how an article like this has a place in any responsible sportsfishing magazine. There is an article this month on catching tiger sharks from a trailer boat. Well, that seems ok until you read the article. These clowns kill three big tigers on the same day and as far as I can see, the only purpose is for a weigh-in and a photograph. I assume the carcasses are then dumped after the photo.

On page 28 of the magazine, there is an article where some environmentalist group wants to close the entire Coral Sea in Australian waters to any form of fishing. Can't they see that running articles like the one describes above is only providing ammunition for these green extremists?!

Haven't read the magazine or article Brandon (I'm not a great magazine reader - I'd sooner chew the fat on the forum!) but absolutely agree with you. If they really did catch and kill those sharks, whether for photographs or not, they don't deserve to glory in the publicity of a congratulatory magazine article (would be ok if the mag had slated them!!). A bunch of letters to the editor might not go amiss.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 01, 2008, 11:48:26 PM
I've not seen the article either but it does sound like pretty senseless journalism, not to mention senseless fishing practice.

Game game fishing is a sport for the privileged, GT fishing, the more more privileged. I think through vehicles like this forum, GT fishing has become a very enlightened sport. I would hate to see a recreational activity like GT fishing damaged by senseless macho journalism like that described.

Let's do all we can to keep this sport safe for the fish too.

Set the ray to GeeT

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 02, 2008, 06:54:21 AM
Blue water has some really good articles in it most times. They had a great piece on the habits of yellowfin tuna. But by the sounds of it for that article they returned to the "Big Game" hunter mentality of kill kill kill. I'll have a read of it today , and its a shame if they have let something like that slip through.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 02, 2008, 06:58:37 AM
I totally agree with you on that one Brandon.
I saw the article and was a little disgusted... so much waste!
I agree with Tim Simpson's comments about it being an "exceptional catch"... however there are many Grander+ Blacks that are tagged at the Ribbons that also class as "exceptional catches"... some of which could very well be potential records!
IMO, pics and footage of 3 x 1000lb+ Tigers would have gained more respect from not only the fishing fraternity, but also those trying to shut us down. In this day and age there is only a small minority of fishos that would be impressed by 3 big tigers hanging from the gantry... the rest of the planet veiw it as a blood bath... nuff said
Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:19:27 AM by Robert Palcak
<*///><

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 02, 2008, 10:37:37 AM
Yep it's a real shame.  A couple of years ago One of the skippers up here put his son onto a world record tiger shark (which was killed of course).  It was quite well publicised at the time.  What most people don't know was on the same day they killed two other big tigers and after weighing them and taking the jaws and fins, the carcasses ended up in a dry creek bed just north of Cairns.  Truly pathetic behaviour and a real "f**k you" to the poor residents in the area. 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 02, 2008, 01:23:52 PM
I've written to the editor to complain
Will advise if he responds

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 03, 2008, 06:37:48 PM
Agree. Those sharks probably mature very slowly and these guys have no hesitation in taking them just so the weigh in has a wow factor (for the ignorant). Yet, remove a marlin and everyone is up in arms. (magazines included). I mean I don't get it. Catch and release bream but kill 3 tiger sharks that most probably do not even get to be used for food.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 03, 2008, 06:46:45 PM
Tim Simpson has responded to my e-mail.

I don't think it is right for me to post his response publicly but in essence, he has advised he shares some of the concerns I have raised but also that shark fishing is of considerable interest to some of his readers.

He does make the point that the magazine does encourage strongly conservation and selective harvest.

I understadn they ahve to sell a magazine but if they continue to promote such behavour, the authorities will end up banning the capture of tiger sharks and it will go on from there..........

Nathan

December 03, 2008, 06:54:31 PM
 You need to see how they actually fish for these monsters the guy's that i've seen land first hook the fish then wait till it comes to the surface gun the boat over to the leader and wrap it around the beefed up gun whale! I've seen this happen more than a few occasion to think that it was a one of too!
 Just don't understand the sport behind it?

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 03, 2008, 07:21:52 PM
Tim Simpson is a nice bloke and does have all types of fishing in his blood, in his early 'Complete Angler' days he was quite famous for his Big Shark captures and articles in the monthly mags, so there is a bias that I have seen come through BW mag of late that steers me away but others may be attracted too, I don't believe it is intentional.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Wong Kai Zhee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 04, 2008, 02:44:05 AM
with regards to killing sharks, a group of spore anglers experience the same thing in Port Stephens a few yrs ago.

according to them, it was the captain who made the decision to keep the sharks, for "scientific" purposes. as far as i know, the anglers didnt benefit from the kill, except had their pictures taken w the dead sharks.

a whaler and tiger were killed.