Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Momoi mono for shock leader
May 24, 2014, 03:46:09 AM
Is Momoi Hi-Catch mono leader good for use as a GT shock leader?  I ask because I already own a lot of it (200lb).  I use it in freshwater when I need abrasion resistance around rocks, etc.  My understanding is that it's a fairly hard mono, but I don't know how it handles the shock from a strike.  If memory serves me right, I think one of the S. Oman guides uses it for a short leader.  Thanks, Dan.

Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:50:37 AM by Dan Hanon

Andrew Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Momoi mono for shock leader
May 26, 2014, 07:37:05 PM
I have used Momoi in 150lb as a GT leader on several trips and it's been fine. Just make sure you tie you FG well and lock it down properly.

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 27, 2014, 04:57:41 AM
Andrew, thanks for the reply!  I know the Nomad guys like using 200# mono around those bommies.  I don't know what brand they use.

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
May 30, 2014, 12:13:03 PM
Hi Dan,

It really depends on the set up that you are using, some anglers use 200lb leader with no problem but terrain play a big factor and you have to consider that fact, I am personally using 300lb Leader, if you intend to use any PE line or main line over 100lb i would suggest you to get a 300lb shock leader you defiantly needed in places such as Southern Oman but not in New Caledonia were you pop in deeper water a lot of time , that recommendation is based on my experience on the water and from what I've seen in the field.

Tight lines
   Sami

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 01, 2014, 12:08:49 PM
Thanks Sami, I never considered 300# because I figured the line diameter would really cause havoc passing through the rod guides (assuming a long leader).  For S. Oman, is 130# mainline and 250-300# mono shock pretty standard? 

I can tie the Bimini-Yucatan and make a shorter leader too, as I learned from reading prior posts by Nick Bowles here on the forum, but it doesn't seem to be a popular method among GT anglers.  I haven't learned the FG yet because I can't find a good on-line tutorial.  I don't live near an ocean, so no one around here knows this knot!   :) 

Dan
Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:18:40 PM by Dan Hanon

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 01, 2014, 12:22:41 PM
Hi Dan - I would imagine Sami is using a short leader with the knot outside the guides?

Casting 300 lb leader through the guides is not straightforward as you say.

If you prefer to use a friction knot with a long leader, then in Southern Oman PE10 line (or 130lb) with a 200 lb shock leader is about right.

If you go for a short leader setup, then 300 lb leader will be fine.
Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:24:19 PM by Mark Harris

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 01, 2014, 06:41:41 PM
All Yucatans / Cairns Quickies are cast with the knot outside the tip guide. You can get away with casting within a couple of guides in lighter classes, say 80lb.

I tend to use 170-240lb on average and this length is generally short (1.5m to 2.0m). I also tie friction knot with supple 300lb and it can work well depending on the line diameter of your chosing. Twisted leaders are 150lb plus with the bite leader junction always outside the tip.

Don't get too caught up with brands that others use. Find something you like and tie knots with it. I tend to use softer nylons but everyone has own preference that varies. The Varivas 400lb hard shock is nice for crimped or nailed bite leader only - I use it when fishing for monsters of monsters - and when they aren't shy, the reasoning is well justified!