luke bell

tweed GT'S
December 05, 2008, 08:00:21 PM
HEY EVERYONE, im planning on taking the boat up to tweed for a popper and jig session over the chrissy break i was just wondering if it is a good time to target gt's ? and is it worth jigging out wide or just fish the shallower reefs.i will probably chase a couple of marlin too, so if anyone has any info it would be appreciated. thanks luke

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: tweed GT'S
December 05, 2008, 09:15:23 PM
Luke, I have similar plans.
I'm just south in Byron and i reckon if they're in Tweed,(which they are now) they'll be here to.
I'll be exploring the Tweed over summer.

Im back from O/S on the 4th of January and can show you around some awesome fishing here as well.

Where are you based?

Will stay in touch. cheers Darren.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
December 05, 2008, 10:00:13 PM
Good luck on the trip guys!!
Ill be heading up to coffs for a snapper fish with plastics!!

Aaron Concord

December 05, 2008, 10:09:05 PM
In short, the answer is a resounding YES!!

GT's can be found on the reefs wide of Cook Island, the Nine Mile and off Kingscliffe....some Mega sized brutes live their!

Marlin will be around the fringes of those reefs as well at that time. Good numbers are off the Goldie already.

Cheers

Aaron.

luke bell

December 05, 2008, 10:24:46 PM
hi darren, im based down on the central coast. i will head up aslong as the weather is good, i went up in sept last year and got some good gt's on 9 mile and some good kings and aj's out wide but was not sure in jan if they were around  but i guess they are there.and more then likely i will stop back in at coffs so i might bump into nathan there to.did you have a boat to darren?

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 08, 2008, 09:26:06 AM
hi darren, im based down on the central coast. i will head up aslong as the weather is good, i went up in sept last year and got some good gt's on 9 mile and some good kings and aj's out wide but was not sure in jan if they were around  but i guess they are there.and more then likely i will stop back in at coffs so i might bump into nathan there to.did you have a boat to darren?
Hey Luke, yes i have a boat.
I fish out of Brunswick heads (such a joyfull bar crossing) a lot.
Snapper on plastics and jigging and popping kings, cobia etc.
I WILL find the local GT population this year and cant wait to check out the 9 mile.

Was looking at Cook Island from the headland the other day. Noticed the marine park bouys surrounding it.
Are the reefs around the island closed to fishing?
Cheers Darren.

luke bell

December 08, 2008, 06:02:55 PM
As far as i know the marine park is only about a hundred meters or so around the island (not sure if it has changed since last year) but there is still plenty of shallow reef around and out to 9 mile waiting for my popper. i would like to know if the current will be to strong to jig out wide or if anything would be out there kings,aj,cobes,tuna ect so if any one knows it would be appreciated? at the moment im looking for some accommodation(damm prices going up for christmas).

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 08, 2008, 06:33:50 PM
If you want to go jigging I would suggest going with a crew called "Reelfishn". They are based in tweed and will put you onto good Kings etc. I have been out with them a couple of times and can't recomend them highly enough. The biggest problem is they are allways booked. 

luke bell

December 08, 2008, 09:24:43 PM
Thanks chris. but i will be taking my own boat up and i have a few gps marks for a couple of reefs that i got some good kings and aj's on  but im not sure if the current might be running to hard at this time of year and if the fish move in closer over summer, but i guess thats part of the adventure!!!