Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
popping/jigging CQ
December 07, 2008, 05:23:42 PM
Hi all, well the weather was great here the other day so it was out to see if we could get our arms pulled off by a few solid gt's. We decided to check out a couple of islands in our area which have escaped us on previous trips and try the jigging thing out as well as launching some poppers and sticks around.
As it turned out the GT's were quite shy this particular day, we had plenty of good follows but strikes were rare. At one point Travis hooked a long tom and it was going nuts on the surface trying to free itself from the popper when a monster GT decided it was going to eat the whole lot at once popper and all! Unfortunately A few minutes into the fight the hooks pulled, it was such a good fish too! I had a monster grab a stickbait about 7m from the boat only to spit it straight out again, this thing was by far the biggest trevally I have ever seen it must have been near 8 to 10 inches across the shoulders! Ah well next time hey.

A little later I landed my first GT on a stickbait, stoked with that!

Also as this was our first go at jigging I landed a nice Spanish and Travis got a nice Cobia. Patrick lost a monster Spanish after it sliced through the assist cord.

The trip home saw us stop at an island that had produced some solid fish before and we were not disappointed. There were 3 or 4 schools of these trevally slicing the surface everywhere, I'm not too sure on which type they are maybe someone here knows? Closest I could find was a Turrum, they all seemed to be the same size.

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: popping/jigging CQ
December 07, 2008, 05:30:44 PM
That sounds like a great day out - well done.

Some nice pics too.

Interesting those other trev's, never seen them but I bet they were fun.....Just goes to show their is always something new ah.....

8)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2008, 07:00:15 PM
The Trevs are Bludger Trevally, we catch a few on the top of the Barwon Banks off Mooloolaba were we target big Spaniards.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2008, 07:35:00 PM
yep, they're bludgers all right - they go real hard!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 08, 2008, 06:44:59 PM
Yeah I looked around on the net and the Turrum was as close as I could find, it said they were also known as gold spot trev, yellow spot, bludger, I guess it comes down to where you are and what the general local name is. Definitely by the pic and description I found it was a Turrum.
Do they get much bigger than that? They also seem to be a schooling fish.

Aaron Concord

December 08, 2008, 07:52:49 PM
The largest one I have seen came off Break Sea Spit and fought like a possesd GT for its size.
Was a good 15-17kg fish.
The 'Eddie Lama' Kazama man got it on a favourite Sea Frog....man it went hard!
I have it on slide somewhere.....???

Aaron.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 09, 2008, 04:23:50 PM
For their size the bludgers did go hard.  There was plenty of them around, we caught them casting the poppers to where they were slashing, boiling and jumping free of the water like tuna!  Was very suprised to see MC pull up a trevally on the first hookup from the school.

The GT Warwick missed on the stickbait was freakin ginormous...I wish it hooked up just so I got to see him get dragged around the boat like a rag doll before being unceremoniously busted off  :D ;)