Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Leader for jigging - what knot do you use?
January 29, 2009, 05:36:02 PM
I notice wind on leaders dont get much of a mention... ??? ???

People had bad experiences with them... ???

Pete

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 29, 2009, 10:11:04 PM
Cam and Dave Foley, plus a few of their jigging 'crew' use them all the time in NZ, they are all set up ready to connect to a Bimini, the Kiwi Jiggers are split between the PR knot and the Windon  ???. I started off jigging with the Windon years ago as a follow through from my game fishing days and always have them on hand, but as I am a 'Knot Nut' I use a full range of knots except for the PR knot, no interest as yet  :-\. My 'guest' jigging combos on my boat are set up with windons, as well as an easy setup it also covers me from the blame in case of knot failure  :P.
IMO the windon is the toughest/safest connection
Good cabin fever weather at the moment to make windons Pete  :D F#@&% winds  >:(
Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:36:40 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Kai Caiyang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 29, 2009, 11:36:57 PM
Yeah, never a problem!  Tie it enough times and you can do them easily in your sleep.

I have recently started using PR knots with a bobbin. Yes, the 1st few attempts were challenging but once you get the hang of it... no problems at all. In fact, i am starting to forget how to tie the other knots :)

I use it now both jigging & popping.

Brandon: Yes! the only time i don't appreciate my knot strength is when it get stuck. Had a hard time that day with PE4!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 30, 2009, 10:31:37 AM
Cam and Dave Foley, plus a few of their jigging 'crew' use them all the time in NZ, they are all set up ready to connect to a Bimini, the Kiwi Jiggers are split between the PR knot and the Windon  ???. I started off jigging with the Windon years ago as a follow through from my game fishing days and always have them on hand, but as I am a 'Knot Nut' I use a full range of knots except for the PR knot, no interest as yet  :-\. My 'guest' jigging combos on my boat are set up with windons, as well as an easy setup it also covers me from the blame in case of knot failure  :P.
IMO the windon is the toughest/safest connection
Good cabin fever weather at the moment to make windons Pete  :D F#@&% winds  >:(

Not wrong Greg.....3 weeks of wind now..!!!
January is a bad month I reckon. >:(

Pete

Marko Pekic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 26, 2011, 08:05:10 PM
bimini in the braid to gt knot flurocarbon leader. very quick and easy and has never failed me
When x meets y

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 06, 2011, 07:53:26 PM
PR Knot to 3 metres of flurocarbon. Works just fine.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 06, 2011, 09:25:24 PM
Hi Guys,

I use a bimini / albright combination when jigging. I have been using this combination for years and have never had any issues.

If the bight is hot and i bust off i have been known to just use a double uni when desperate but only if the fish are not overly large.

I am considering investing in a bobbin and trying the PR knot for jigging.

There is also the option of attaching a wind on but only when there are not too many anglers on the boat as tangles can get expensive.

Leader length and strength: I generally use about 2 -3 metres of 100lb.

Main line: 80lb TD Acudepth

Regards,

Chris

Matt Kris

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 19, 2011, 02:19:08 AM
I'm also interested in people's opinions on the bimini/double to allbright vs. single strand to allbright

Has anyone tested these against eachother?

A mate has recently run through tying pe.6 to 80lb flouro and has found a bimini double to slim beauty has outdone the allbright when pulling them till they pop...

I'm sticking with wind ons at the moment. Would be interesting to see others opinions on this as I'm keen on stickbaiting next season here would prefer to run knots instead of wind ons when casting.

Cheers

Son Pham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 10, 2011, 06:38:34 PM
yeah... Slim Beauty is gonna be a lot stronger than the Albright.  Albright is easy to tie and only good for light line, i find that you can get 20% stronger on the slim beauty.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 11, 2011, 06:28:14 PM
FG or PR knots all the way, after I learnt the FG knot I now use it exclusively right down to 20lb braid.
What a great knot :D

Ben Zamo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 13, 2011, 08:26:27 AM
50 turn Bimini and then the Improved allbright is what I use in PE6 to 80lb or 100lb  leader and PE8-130lb, the improved allbright is a lot stronger than the normal allbright only downside is that it ends up long and chunky but its only for jigging and bottom fishing so who cares. Never had one break yet, the braid will snap before the knot does when you get snagged. One day I'll learn the FG or PR.
Fish for the Future