Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bills Bugs
April 08, 2007, 10:02:11 PM
I can't see how you can catch anything on that Mega Pop, its that scary and mean looking it would even scare Doggies away. :o
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 08, 2007, 10:05:17 PM
the workmanship on the Bills Bug is every bit as bad as i remember!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

George Pang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 08, 2007, 10:55:56 PM
As the others have said, a bit rough in the finish. But great popping action! A really big boof for a relatively small popper and can bring up the fish. Easy to cast, and pop all day long and relatively hard wearing.

Neil has warned me about the possiblity of it pulling out, but I have wired poppers snap on the wire!

I posted some pics of fish that fallen for the bug and a snapped wired river2sea.

Cheers
George

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 08, 2007, 11:03:38 PM
Some great photos there George 8). I am yet to see a wire snap, wow :o I seem to recall you got a 35kg  off Frasier on a Bill's Bug a while back?

You may like to let us know a bit more about the crimps you are using. I know some of the others members and brandon would be keen to see how/what you are using.

George Pang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 29, 2007, 09:02:05 PM
Luke, I just use a thimble and crimps with shrink wrap over them, to reduce flash and wahoo mischief. I do short bite leader with a crimp and shrinkwrap over that as well.

As brandon eluded to, I had some issues with the bug as shoalwater.

I had to retire one of my favourite bugs, as the belly loop had been pulled at an angle. So I put another, newer bug on. It didnt seem to pop like the old one and seemed a bit heavy, unable to float a Decoy 8/0. So I checked out the other bugs.
The newer ones are heavier, two 116g, two 118g and one 120g. The older ones with twisted wire loops weighed 102g, 104g, 106g.

So I decided to weigh the hooks with rings  which gave interesting results
Trebles
Decoy 8/0         24g
GT recorder 6/0  20g
ST76 5/0           22g

Singles
Owner Jobu 10/0          16g   (recommended by nomad)
Decoy Sergeant N 8/0    8g
Gama Livebait 8/0         12g
Decoy Cutlass 10/0       10g

Blade     8g

It becomes apparent when you are trying to  getthe best popping action how important the balance of lure is. My old bug popped fantastically, but the newer bugs need a different setup, maybe two single sergeant'N will give back the balance.

Cheers
George

Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 07:50:27 PM by George Pang

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 30, 2007, 08:45:45 PM
George - you didn't try the bug with a single during the trip, did you?

I also cannot deny that the Bills Bug has got to be about the best lure for the money you can get. They get a great pop and while their finish isn't fantastic, they GTs hardly care about that. Beautiful finishes like the top of the line Japanese poppers are designed to catch the fisherman and they do a damn good job of it!!   ;D
Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 08:53:36 PM by Brandon

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 09, 2007, 07:32:24 PM
Great informative post George, Thanks! :D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 11, 2007, 07:27:35 PM
I just received a small number of Bills Bugs from Mo Tackle in Coffs Harbour. They cheap as chips compared to most other poppers out there. They obviously moulded but the new models feel heavy for the size.

I think George is right - putting a big treble onto this won't work as they will sink and won't work properly. They may need a relatively light single like a Decoy Sergeant. Btw - I am a broken record player but the finish is disgraceful!!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 14, 2007, 09:29:56 PM
here George - here is a picture to make you happy - 4 bugs!!