Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Guys,

I read diverse oppinions on boards including this one.  Some seem to prefer high speed gear ratios for popper work whilst others like standard ratios.

Is there a correlation between this preference and the length of the rods being used?

I seem to read that the guys using 8'0" - 8'6" seem definately to like high speed, whilst guys using 7'0 like standard speed. 

Anything in this?

Is it because the longer rods therefore need a faster reel to pick the line up fast enough?

Is it because the shorter rod brigade are using heavy lined and big cup faced bloopers?

Just curious.......

Andrew

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Andrew - I haven't come upon too many guys who like using standard speed for popping. I think I'm in the considerable minority who actually uses a 20000 for popping and stickbaiting. I'll use this where i am using big cup faced poppers  and  stickbaits which i work quite slowly.

I haven't come upon any correlation in terms of rod length and gear ratio previously.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Che Carson

Hi Andrew,

I have both high speed and standard speed Saltigas. In most cases 8' & 8'6" rods are now my preference,  using a high speed reel with the longer rod regardless of lure type and line class (I use between 65-130lb) is definately the way to go.

I think high speed is especially beneficial when blooping large lures off long rods, although the technique is a fairly slow one, picking up line between bloops is done quicker and with less effort than with a slower reel. Thus keeping you in better contact with the popper.

Originally I used a 7' rod with a standard Saltiga 6000. This worked fine, when I went to a 8'6" rod and the same reel I noticed missed strikes and alot of winding just to stay in contact with the lure. Obviously this will vary between anglers depending on there technique.

I am so convinced of the impact this has I converted my Saltiga Expedition to high speed and bought a Saltiga 6000GT. I don't like the Dogfight, reminds me too much of a Penn :P. I have one standard speed Saltiga which is used for the short rod and jigging.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
that's right - you describe the Dogfight as a catfight!!  ;D

Che - how did you convert the Explorer to high speed? You need to change the internal gears to the ones from the Dogfight?

Che Carson

Yes Brandon, its not cheap  :( but I ordered a set of gears for a 6000GT: main and pinion gear and swapped them out. About 15 minutes from start to stop.

I have an allergic condition to anything Spinfisher like. ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
all right - tell us about it! You must have had a disaster with one some time in the past to be so averse to them! I still recommend them to people who can't afford Stellas and Saltigas. Only had one killed so far!!   ;D

Craig WILLIAMS

Hi Guys,

I acknowledge the benefit of having the high speed whilst working your lures but don't you find once your hooked up you would trade the world to have the standard speed Saltiga again?? I realise 99% of what we do is casting and retrieving / working lures and probably only 1% is spent fighting fish so I guess some would use that as the argument to suit your tackle accordingly (eg' use a high speed reel). I always find myself reaching for the standard speed over the high nowdays.

I guess its just one of those minor details which purely comes down to personal preference..?

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
WellI suppose you have a high speed reel because it puts the line onto the reel faster - ie less rotations until the line is taut and ready to pop again. 

A long rod will start the pop or stickbait jerk motion at a further distance from the angler and finish a further distance from the angler - ie the lure has more of a chance of having travelled further through the water than when using a shorter rod and hence there is more line to retrieve before the next action motion. 

So if you were working the lure quickly then I suppose I see how a higher speed reel could help you out on a longer rod.

Like many topics of discussion with such a niche activity I think it's more picky pedantics and something to ponder over between trips than a practical solution to put more fish in the boat.   

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I think it is a bit more than personal preference Craig.

A high speed reel like an SW18000 or a Dogfight both removes line slack more quickly (vital) and works surface stickbaits at the required speeds far more easily.

Like Brandon I have (only on occasion!) used a SW20000, and aside from sinking stickbaits which work on a slow sweeping retrieve, then stickbaits are completely out.

I can see that the lower gears of a SW20000 or Expedition might make life more comfortable lifting a big fish that has run deep. For me though, that potential benefit is far outweighed by the downside.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Tackle companies should release a 2 speed spin reel. Highly unlikely but would be awesome.
I agree that when popping a high speed reel is ideal though when fighting the fish, the standard speed is what you need.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
It looks like the age old debate, when casting and working the lure you want a long rod and high speed reel.  Upon hook up, it would by nice if the rod convenient morphed to the length of a jig rod and the retreive ratio dropped by half.  I guess thats why we see so many different rod lengths and retreive ratios on the market.

It's always a compromise hey! The situation is similar with jig rods, retreive ratios and jig weights and retreive styles.  Ireckon is very much a personal thing.

It also comes down to the amount of action at the back of the boat!  If the GT's are qued up at the transom with their mouths open - I'd be happy to cast a popper on the jig rod and the expedition / 20000.  If on the other hand you are spending the day prospecting the reef edge for only one or two strikes, a bit of length and retreive speed is invaluable.  Personally, as I get older, fatter and weaker I tend to opt for the lower speed reel more and more, whilst a shorter rod helps balance this, it will bugger up the casting distance - which kind of contradicts the idea of comming up with an easier solution.  I think the important thing here though is to select a slower retreive technique and lure combination (and keep the rod length for casting distance) IE slow chuggers, slow surface sticks (such as Uluas etc).  In windy casting conditions you'll just have a bit of extra work in taking up the slack!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Tackle companies should release a 2 speed spin reel. Highly unlikely but would be awesome.
I agree that when popping a high speed reel is ideal though when fighting the fish, the standard speed is what you need.

A two speed Dogfight.. now that would be my ideal popping reel  :D .