Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hook alignment and length
April 10, 2007, 07:46:45 AM
Hi all,

With some lures, the middle hook connects to a fixed eye on the belly, and has a treble. But to change this to a single hook, means that unless you are using hooks that have an inline eye like the decoy jig hooks, the hook ends up not being in line with the body, and 2 split rings are needed. Is this the same method that others use ?

My only concern was while having a look at the stickbait, and if I put 2 rings, plus a jobu on it, the assembly looks quite long .Do you think that a long  this could lead to more missed hookups?

Else, a hook like a decoy sits close to the body....I havent seen up close the other owner hooks JS41/51 to see how they compare.

andrew

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Hook alignment and length
April 10, 2007, 09:15:46 AM
Andrew - unless you have an opposite eye hook (Owner do make one), you will have that probem. Your option is to go with a SJ-51 which is what I am doing. You will find that the length of this looks about perfect as it is a much shorter hook

if your lure has a swivel on the belly connection, it is not a problem. It only is a problem with a fixed connection
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 10, 2007, 11:59:56 AM
Brandon,

So with a fixed connection , you then use 2 split rings and the JS ...I havent seen any of them in the local stores so will need to get them online.

The Jobus should be fine on the tail if I decide to go that way.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 10, 2007, 01:34:24 PM
actually, with a fixed connection, I generally use the Owner opposite eye hook but will use the SJ-51s now for super heavy applications - with two split rings. With the Jobus, you will need two split rings too
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 10, 2007, 02:02:24 PM
Do the opposite eye hooks have a model number I can look up ?