Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I've had a number of questions about the rig which I described that was developed during the week at Shoalwater and I have had some difficulty describing it to people so what I decided to do was rig a stickbait up so people could see what I meant. I sincerely  doubt that noone has ever tried this before but I've never see it so I've decided to attribute it to the person who thought of it that week, Tim Baker.

As some of you would know, Nomad are very strongly of the view that single hooks hold much better than trebles. On the other hand, there is an acknowledgement that the hookup rate isn't as good. Also, while a single hook can be rigged to run very well off the tail, it doesn't work as well off the middle as the hook tends to point upwards.

I had some doubts about how effective this system would be - would the two single get tangled up? Would the lure swim effectively? What I can say is that while a few of us used this over the last three days, I saw enough to say I am absolutely convinced that this rig works brilliantly. As an example, one of the hardest fish to hook around is a long tom (who would want to?) but Damon hooked up continually with this rig.

The hooks system looks fantastic in the water as they seem to spread out when the lure is being retrieved.

I think I'll be rigging up a lot of my lures this way going forward. My only reservation is I think it is possible that a big fish may be hooked in a way whereby the two hooks are presed against each other and the split ring will bear most of the pressure. I sincerelyt doubt that a GT could straighten a SJ-51 so the split ring would be placed under enormous pressure. Anyway, we shall see!!

If it swims; I want to catch it!

George Pang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
How does the two hook rig affect the action? A had a wahoo rigged with trebles and it had no action, only after tim convinced me to go singles did the stickbait have the great rolling action. I would be interesting to see them side by side.

George

Wong Kai Zhee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
side track a little, but i am a little worried for the fish.

seems like if a fish broke off w such a set up, the multiple of hooks can easily restrict its ability to feed and breathe. most likey, the escaped fish will die.

same f the double hook rig used in skirts.

perhaps doing away with the middle hooks will be more GT friendly.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
George - it looked really bloody good in the water. The wahoo I was fishing next to it with the big recorder didn't look anywhere enar as good in terms of its action. I wonder why that is the case? Does the treble act like a rudder?

Wong - I agree with your comment but we were basically fishing barbless by crushing the barbs on the hooks.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I've been continuing to experiment with the Baker rig as I beleive this really is an excellent way to rig stickbaits and poppers. One of the problems we have found with the standard rig is that there is a tendency for one of the hooks to turn around. While generally it tends to right itself in the water, it is a bit annoying. I have experimented tying some of the hooks to prevent it from happening and this is what I've come up with. I will test this out on my few trips but I am pretty sure it will work well.

Rob Ciotucha

Hi Brandon in the top picture are they Decoys? Ive got a couple packs but the biggest i could get was 8/0 is there any bigger?

Cheers
Rob

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
yes Rob, they are. I think 8/0 is the biggest

Jigging Sergeants then SJ-51s then SJ-41s

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
G'Day Brandon , I may be wrong but I think decoys go up to 9/0 & 10/0 but they are almost the same price as big recorders etc  ::)
Cheers Chris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I found out today that the Cutlass goes up to 10/0. I don't know about the Jigging Sergent. I can't imagine the Jigging Sergents would be the same price as a recorder treble though!  :o

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Brandon, I can only find Sergeants to 8/0 at $5.00 each and the Cutlass to 10/0 at $6.50 each in Brisbane
Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 10:14:30 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
G'Day Greg & Brandon , 10/0 cutlass are the ones I was refering to , I also get them for $6.50 each. If you Baker rig them = $13.00 , more than top trebles  :o but a lot more versatile on lures where weight is an issue & I think would also be much better hookup due to larger gape

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
yep, two Cutlass' will be more than a Gamakatsu Recorder. That's expensive!

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Do the sergeants have welded eyes ? . I was thinking of running baker cutlass rig on belly & sergeant rig on back ( opposite eye = max exposure!) What do you think  ???

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
no, the sergeants do not have a welded eye. I don't think it'd hurt to try. I'll give this a try on my next trip (if I remember)  ;D

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
I've said it before - Decoy Cutlas JS-2 = Awesome hook