Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Popping off Mooloolaba
March 10, 2007, 03:00:43 PM
 Hi Luke, good to see we have a common love interest `STELLAS'.
 Q: Do you think if I upgraded from 15lb to 30lb [Nitlon] on my Emblem-Pro it would handle local popping, it's now matched with a Pflueger Conteder 7'6" 8-12kg rod, but could be put on a T-Curve BW 7'6" 10-15kg rod. Other options to concider are a Twinspin 6000 and a Stella 8000 on a GH Saurai 6' 30-80lb with 50lb Jigman.
 I have a collection of Halco Roosters, Shimano Oceas, Lively Lures Fat R's and others, all ready for when I sort out my outfits.
 My Local Jigging areas are 20-35nm off Mooloolaba and look very Popable with Tuna, Medium Trevs, Macs and Wahoo caught Jigging or on the troll.
 I would appreciate a little guidance. ::)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Popping off Mooloolaba
March 10, 2007, 03:24:20 PM

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 10, 2007, 03:28:36 PM
Other options to concider are a Twinspin 6000 and a Stella 8000 on a GH Saurai 6' 30-80lb with 50lb Jigman.

Do you mean the TwinSpin 12? I am not familiar with a 6000 model.

Do you have anymore information about the Samurai blank, as also i am not familiar with the specs of the blank to advise.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 10, 2007, 04:44:39 PM
Hi Luke, I just spent over an hour typing up some info but went back a page and lost it.
 In short I ment Stella Twinpower 6000 not Twinspin [I own one and get confused].
 I have three Gary Howard Samurai Rods [2 spin & 1 jig], the blanks are used in Rod Builders Workshop a bit and advertised by Frogleys Offshore in Fishing World magazine [a good read  ::)].
 I will get back with some more info later.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 10, 2007, 05:03:29 PM
I should've known mate! I was having trouble thinking of a Twinspin 6000! The Twinpower would do nicely as a light popping reel but generally i find that you need to move those smaller poppers much quicker to induce strickes otherwise they won't get noticed (this isn't gospel, i've still had many slower retrieve strikes). Just means you'll have to crank a little quicker.

On a whole, i've had very good experiences with Samurai blanks for lighter applications. I do have some other info that i might check up later on out of interest.