Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Saltiga Or Stella
October 26, 2011, 07:19:28 AM
We could also throw in the "New" TuffTackle "Brawn" reels to the mix, because acording to the manufacurers, they are waaaaaaaay better than the Stella's and Saltiga's, so that should make it a no brainer...... forget the Stella or Saltiga, and buy a TuffTackle Brawn.....  8) :o ;D  ::)

Ha ha ha was waiting for someone to raise that brand.

Did take longer than i expected though :=)

Patrick Cooper

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 26, 2011, 09:32:22 AM
I was all about the saltigas, now I have both and I will never buy another saltiga again... IMO the stella is a much better reel, though i cant comment on the 2010 saltigas as i don't own one.

Also as mentioned hundreds of times before, on this and other forums, if you have ever had the pain of dealing with the daiwa service team the decision is an easy one... just my 2 cents worth.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 26, 2011, 09:54:41 AM
ANDRE!!  >:(
You can get into a lot of trouble here for that but you get a free pass for your Bassas de India report. Do you think that Pierce is Jeff Eldrin or God knows how which other faceless name from various forums? If the Diablo 10000 was good for tuna up to 350kg and marlin up to 300kgs, Not to mention skull-dragging groupers up from 400m, the new reels could truly be wondrous.

We could also throw in the "New" TuffTackle "Brawn" reels to the mix, because acording to the manufacurers, they are waaaaaaaay better than the Stella's and Saltiga's, so that should make it a no brainer...... forget the Stella or Saltiga, and buy a TuffTackle Brawn.....  8) :o ;D  ::)

****Sorry Brandon, I couldn't resist.... especially seeing as these have popped up yet again in a newer version, with pics, in another forum, and recieved the same treatment... possibly I think  because once again it seems to be the same troll " I'm not affiliated with the company in any way, but these are a 100 times better than Stella/Saltiga" who is punting them... funny stuff....  sorry Brandon....  ;D ****
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Damian Fantozzi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 26, 2011, 11:44:55 AM
Ben,

The S-extreme Maverick came out a few years back.  It was an Aussie only retrofit.  The main thing being a full carbon drag.

Daiwa released an even more recent range in 2010 which has more advancements throughout the whole reel.

Aaron.

I thought the S-Extreme went to carbontex style carbonfibre composite washers instead of the full carbon ones used in the other saltiga Z series. the startup inertia catches you by surprise a bit, especially coming off a stella SW. Everything else aside the drags are smoother than the saltiga Zs out of the box. Im a Stella fan/owner/user but can admit that except for this most other comparisons between the reels are largely subjective, even though it is clear that the stella is the pick of the two ;)

Matt Kilpatrick

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 26, 2011, 12:26:53 PM
Does anyone have an idea when the Stella SW will be upgraded or replaced? I expect there will be a newer model released at some point in time. I'm thinking about a buying 20000 (to match my 8000, 10000 and 18000 reels) but I am in no rush to purchase. I just don't want to by one and then find a replacement model comes out 6 months later.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 26, 2011, 12:47:50 PM
Star,Flirty Girl, Awesome or excellent

SAY NO MORE ;D Oh! and FORD won the V8's on the Gold coast last week end  ;D, WHAT...who me?...BIASED  ;)
Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:52:38 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Adrian Braun

October 26, 2011, 01:54:00 PM

And a major dealer of top end jigging and popping gear in the US when quizzed by myself about the new Saltiga simply replied "piece of shit".

Sachin. Did he explain why? The reel looks very cool but reviews have been less than flattering since release and I was interested in knowing why he calls it a POS.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 26, 2011, 08:43:18 PM
Its for the reasons expressed in the reel review here. The mag seal does not work as well in the real world. The Stella still has the better drag and even to the point where bail arm flex under heavy drag came up as an issue. There were 4 other seasoned anglers with him and they all expressed the same concerns. I do not know how much use they put them through but the opinions were unanimous and unflattering as far as the Saltiga was concerned.

Ben Crarer

October 26, 2011, 09:00:16 PM
Does anyone have an idea when the Stella SW will be upgraded or replaced? I expect there will be a newer model released at some point in time. I'm thinking about a buying 20000 (to match my 8000, 10000 and 18000 reels) but I am in no rush to purchase. I just don't want to by one and then find a replacement model comes out 6 months later.

Me too (don't own those reels though)

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
October 26, 2011, 09:29:08 PM
Star,Flirty Girl, Awesome or excellent

SAY NO MORE ;D Oh! and FORD won the V8's on the Gold coast last week end  ;D, WHAT...who me?...BIASED  ;)

Gold coast pffft  ::)  who won Bathurst  ;)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 26, 2011, 11:25:23 PM
Don't start me  ;) ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Adrian Braun

October 27, 2011, 03:02:39 AM
Its for the reasons expressed in the reel review here. The mag seal does not work as well in the real world. The Stella still has the better drag and even to the point where bail arm flex under heavy drag came up as an issue. There were 4 other seasoned anglers with him and they all expressed the same concerns. I do not know how much use they put them through but the opinions were unanimous and unflattering as far as the Saltiga was concerned.

Thanks. The Allen Hawk review from Dan Wulf's link interestingly finds problems with the mag seal and bail arm flex. That Allen guy knows his reels!
Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 01:31:03 PM by Adrian Braun

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 02, 2011, 07:03:26 PM
Seems there is astrological pattern that determines this subject must be raised every few months :) .

For what it is worth, my opinion remains the same as ever - both are exceptional reels (although I can only profess experience with old Saltigas - I can't speak for the new Saltigas until they bring one out in a proper large size).

I own various Stellas and Saltiga Dogfight and Expedition. Have caught fine fish with them all and they are all all top notch reels. To be calling any of them rubbish is patently nonsense.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 02, 2011, 07:27:34 PM
You have been out for a while, Mark! The new 6500 size Saltigas are out now.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 02, 2011, 08:00:18 PM
Ah! :-[  Indeed I have Brandon - a lot happens in a few months :). I will certainly be getting my hands on one.

Do you have one yet? If so, how's the feel compared to an old Dogfight?  I know that like me, you were a fan of the old Dogfight.
Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:14:56 PM by Mark Harris