Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Guide to buying a GT rod
January 26, 2012, 11:17:46 AM
Hi Simon,

I bought my first rod, a DJ83MH, for the exact same reason as you, fishing Bali and Lombok. As an allrounder I think you will find it hard to beat, a little lighter than the MH80 I think but it is a dream to use all day long on stickbaits to 170g and poppers to 150g.

If I had the choice again I would still buy the DJ83MH even after using the MH80 and the CV79, both of which are spectacular rods.

Dean Kubiak

January 26, 2012, 07:01:00 PM
Brandon great info on the rods but what do you think about the Stella 1800 SW for some of the rods that you mentioned,
is this a good reel and what do others think .
I'm also a new member and just starting to get into this type of fishing .
Thanks Dean.

Dean Kubiak

January 26, 2012, 07:02:18 PM
Brandon 18000 stella

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 26, 2012, 07:31:34 PM
Dean, you're asking about a reel on a thread on rods!  ;D
The 18000 Stella is arguably the most highly regarded reel for GTs. It will pretty much suit all the rods mentioned in this thread.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 09, 2012, 01:58:56 AM
Hi Brandon excellent article. Hope you can help me here I live in the uk and nobody stocks gt rods.
Which means I'm going to have to get it of the internet.
I'm looking for an entry level gt rod to go with a Shimano SW Twinpower 12000hg reel and 120gm lures
I not very big 5'6" and light frame, was thinking of the Shimano caranx kaibutsu pencil untill I read your piece, What would you recommened. I will be using the rod from both a boat and the beach.
Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:50:28 AM by doug terry

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 09, 2012, 10:50:25 PM
Shoot Luke a PM, I believe he has a very nice ex-demo rod at a great price..... If I remember correctly it's an El Toro 150?
Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:15:22 PM by Ben Furness

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 10, 2012, 12:35:01 AM
Doug, I am going to need a fair bit more info before I could give you any suggestions.

Where are you planning on fishing?
What weight line do you intend to use?
What kind of shore based fishing do you intend to do?P

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 10, 2012, 01:02:32 AM
Hi Brandon hope this helps.
Finally booked the trip to Aitutaki cook islands having had to cancell last years as I fractured 2 vertebra in my back.
 I have some 7" williamson Jet poppers weight 115 gm and others of a similar weight.
The twinpower holds 270m of PE6,or 350m PE5.
 will be shore fishing inside a lagoon where the surf from the reef comes into it.
I belive the GT's can go to 35kg's?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 10, 2012, 06:22:44 AM
So you're essentially looking for a PE5 to 6 rod that you're going to be using from both a boat and from the shore. From the shore, you're generally going to need distance so I'd suggest you find something that is at least 8 feet long and preferably 8'3" to 8'6" long.

Can I say, I don't think your set-up is ideal. I generally suggest PE6-8 as a starting point for GTs, not PE5-6 but your set-up is dictated by the reel you got.

How much are you looking to send on a rod? I'm struggling to think of an entry level rod that fits that bill. Can anyone think of something that fits that bill that is reasonably priced?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 10, 2012, 11:56:30 AM
You can get 200 metres of PE8 on a TP SW12000 spool without problem, although the specs do not encourage it.   I use that spool with PE8 quite often fitted on either a Stella 10000 or Twinpower 10000. Therefore I would suggest Doug can fish PE6-8.

A Caranx Kaibutsu Long Cast might be an option (PE6-8, 8ft 2 in) ? although it is not a rod I can personally recommend.  My guess would be that you could find one around the $450 level.

So you're essentially looking for a PE5 to 6 rod that you're going to be using from both a boat and from the shore. From the shore, you're generally going to need distance so I'd suggest you find something that is at least 8 feet long and preferably 8'3" to 8'6" long.

Can I say, I don't think your set-up is ideal. I generally suggest PE6-8 as a starting point for GTs, not PE5-6 but your set-up is dictated by the reel you got.

How much are you looking to send on a rod? I'm struggling to think of an entry level rod that fits that bill. Can anyone think of something that fits that bill that is reasonably priced?

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
February 10, 2012, 09:55:39 PM
If its PE5 - PE6 you are still chasing, have a look at the temple reef BD 100 8'8", or BD 200 at 8'0" they max out at 120 gram casting weight but will throw a 100 gram into the next post code.

Whilst they are tuna rods, the price is right!  Not too many GT specific rods in that weight.  As mark says, no reason why you cant put PE8 on a 12000 spool!......and get a propper GT rod!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 10, 2012, 10:08:40 PM
It is far easier to think of a list of entry level rods NOT to buy!

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 10, 2012, 11:45:34 PM
Having read Brandan's original piece regarding entry level rods would the Shimano t curve gt special be suitable, as it will use pe3-8. and would I get enough 80lb powerpro super 8 slick on the reel to do the job.
Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:54:38 AM by doug terry

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 11, 2012, 02:10:49 AM
I am really struggling to think of an entry level rod with the specs we've discussed!
On the GT Special, I would personally try to find something else. It may be rated PE3-8 but I doubt the rod would bend on PE3 and I reckon it is strong enough for PE10.

Jimmy

March 01, 2012, 04:03:45 AM
thanks Brandon