Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Diawa J-Braid vs. Diawa Boat Braid
December 20, 2015, 09:53:59 AM
I just bought a 1500M spool of #100 J-Braid. When I saw the price(wholesale) I thought it must be wrong because it was so low. I added an 1800M spool of Boat Braid in #100 in case I did not like the J-Braid.

Both spools came today and are stamped at .50mm each in thickness. There is a visible difference in line thickness with the J-Braid being much thicker. To the eye, I would say 30% thicker in the same # rating.

I only had time for a quick test but as expected in a bimini-bimini loop pull test, the thinner line(boat braid) broke first. I do not have a scale to go over #50 accurately so I was just testing 1 line versus the other, straight pull.

I plan on spooling up a few reels this week and hope to get out to do some testing on the water.

The only other visible thing of note is that the J-braid utilizes brighter colors.

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Diawa J-Braid vs. Diawa Boat Braid
January 01, 2016, 03:08:56 AM
Spooled up a few reels with the #100 J-Braid rated at .50mm to the following capacities:

Accurate 600NN- 300 yards
Stella 18k stock spool- 270 yards (just under tapered lip)
Van Staal 275- 280 yards

The Stella spool states that it should fit 300 yards of .50mm for reference.

I like the look and feel of the line. A little bit stiff with the coating on it but that usually wears after the first use or 2. None of the color came off on my fingers while spooling, FWIW.