Steve Winsor

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Differences in stickbait rods
April 12, 2016, 08:14:48 AM
whats the difference between the actions of the following rods?

The Blue Lagoon

Coral Viper

Endless Passion

Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Differences in stickbait rods
April 15, 2016, 11:10:41 AM
As far as dedicated stickbait rods go, theTBL is the only one that's built for that purpose. Strong bottom end for lifting stubborn fish but with a soft tip for imparting action.

Both the CV and EP are capable of handling poppers. The CV being 7'9 makes it better for fighting fish but it reduces your casting distance somewhat while the opposite can be said of the EP. It's design makes it perfect for a less fit angler and takes some of the stresses away. Long casts without having to put your whole body in to it and a softer blank to reduce fatigue. The trade off is a rod with less lifting power to drag a fish sitting sideways in the current to the boat.

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 16, 2016, 06:30:00 PM
Hi Steve

The CV is a dual purpose rod, so it is also suitable for poppers up to around 140-150 depending on cup size. It is a VERY good stickbait rod though! I own both the CV79/40 and the TBL80/40. The TBL Wil not work the same size of poppers but it will cast a 200 gram stickbait better than the CV70/40. The CV is a bit more forgiving than the TBL.

That said I actually feel those two rods a pretty similar.

Hope it helps a bit.

Kind regards,
Peter

"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Steve Winsor

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 18, 2016, 08:37:23 PM
Thanks guys... im going a tbl 80/40

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 19, 2016, 09:21:13 PM
Hi Peter,

I read your reply post with good interest. I'll in the process in hopefully acquiring a TBL 80/40 and would like ask as follows;

Would the TBL 80/40 cast with good distance, rod tip work and handle the Carpenter lures models Pandorra 155g & Pandorra 155 + 30 = 185g wit what you say a soft tip ?.

Or would the Pandorra's prefer a rod with a stiffer rod tip like a Hots 79XH or the likes of a dedicated popper rod ?.

Appreciate your details please. I sent you a PM...but for some reason...in me checking if I wrote it right after I sent it...I cannot view an already send PM...which is strange. I'll have to contact Amr and see whats wrong..I've not had this issue before.

If anyone else would like to provide assistance info, please I welcome that as well.

Regards

Leo Sorbello

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 19, 2016, 09:36:34 PM
Hi Leo

I have never worked a Pandora but seen others do it. It is even more forgiving on the rod type than say Orion Bigfoots. So yes - the rod will probably work the Pandoras very well!

In this video, Kenjo Konishi is using the pandora on a remodelled CV79/40 (+2 inches) which is very close to the TBL:
https://vimeo.com/134887973

This is how he works it:

Doesn't look like a subtle stickbait to me :) Maybe someone else can chime in on the action?

As for casting, the sweet spot is around 140-170 grams in my opinion. And it will cast 200 grams as well.

Hope you can use the answer.

Kind regards,
Peter
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 19, 2016, 09:56:45 PM
Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for the links and insight of the TBL 80/40 and its lures sweet spots.

Mate...I thought Konishi-san was going to go over the front bow rails if he didn't lower himself fighting that fish  ???.

Take care...and thank you for taking the time in assisting me Peter.

Tight Lines !.

Regards

Leo