Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aussie reel
March 16, 2010, 06:53:56 PM
would it help if i said they were a Garrick?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 16, 2010, 07:25:39 PM
Some kind of weird queenfish/amberjack hybrid

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
March 16, 2010, 07:59:30 PM
Yip, also known as Garrick here on our East coast, and Called Leerfish in the Med where they also occur:

They are an amazing sport fish, mainly found in the surf zone and estuaries of our coastline...

The area Mark and I are talking about is a tiny little marina, which is closed most of the year to the ocean, has a pretty big population of Carp and freshwater catfish, as well as bass and tilapia in it, but because the aquarium has released a couple big Leeries into it over the years, and the massive populations of big mullet, the chance at a real trophy Leerie, over 15 kilos, is pretty good... its hard fishing, but a 20 kilo plus Leerie is the achievment equivalent of a 45 kilo plus GT....

They are also known as the gentleman of the sea, as they fight clean... not like a GT... they tend to stay fairly high in the water coloumn, no diving into the reefs or structure...

But like GT's, they LOVE a surface lure skipped along the top, and are notorius for chasing a lure for a long time before commiting.... can drive you nuts when you have a big leerie chasing your skipping stickbait for 30 metres before finally either leaving it right at your feet or hammering the shyte out of it right at the rod tip...

To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 16, 2010, 08:53:28 PM
Guys - I think this thread has done its time and I'd ask you to start another thread if you want to discuss other issues (such as fishing for Garrick). We will leave it open should anyone be able to shed more light on Tufftackle reels but outside of this, let's leave this thread alone now. It has been a little disappointing that Mr Eldrin has declined to respond to what I felt was a not unreasonable request to provide the members here with some evidence of the captures that he claimed. In fact, Mr Eldrin posted that one post and has not logged back into the forum since that time.

Also, the owner of Tufftackle, Simon Ball joined on the same day. I expected that he might have responded to Travis's request and I would have been quite happy to arrange for one of our established members to visit the local factory (depending on what state it is in) to at least corroborate that they are an Australian made product. To be fair to Simon, I made the point to him upon approving his membership that I did not want the thread to deteriorate again so he may have chosen not to inflame the issue. In any event, that offer remains open should Simon wish to take it up.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 18, 2010, 10:39:32 AM
Just got this link sent to me by a mate... http://tu3be04.en.embiz.net/

WTF??? WTF??? anyone up for a tufftackle 7000 dogfight???
AKA: Sunny

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 18, 2010, 11:09:01 AM
Sunny, the address on that link is in Vic. You or Brock could go check it out if it's close.

Simon

March 18, 2010, 11:42:48 AM
Just got this link sent to me by a mate... http://tu3be04.en.embiz.net/

WTF??? WTF??? anyone up for a tufftackle 7000 dogfight???

Hi, That's not our add, it's robot directory generated.
The phone numbers are not ours, neither is the info.

The admin for this type of site does not exist, they cannot be contacted to remove the incorrect info.

It was most likley generated from one of the many Chinese (agents ) that work from their lounge room, trading on offering a good deal.

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 18, 2010, 11:47:27 AM
Simon, its the same address as on the tufftackle website (ie Amanda Court Seville VIC AUSTRALIA 3139) ..  ;) Unless you haven't updated it recently!

Dick Sweeney

March 22, 2010, 11:45:45 AM
I hate to say it - but this is all very fishy...............

Wouldnt it be great if these reels did live up to the hype - I think many fishos on here would be keen to see a cheaper / stronger and better alternative to whats out there.

Maybe the manufacturer could supply a few samples to some of the forum guys about to head out on a trip or two - and get them to give us an honest appraisel after the trip - that way I think some of these issues would be laid to rest. :o

Bertrand Loyeung

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 22, 2010, 02:35:34 PM
thanks chuen fan for posting the website. something really is very fishy.....

quote from the website:

"The Daiwa Saltiga 7000 size dogfight reel, re-bodied and branded for TuffTackle for $120AU delivered"

can somebody explain that to me? does that infer that daiwa DF are made in china and that anybody can buy it there and rebrand it in another casing??? is daiwa aware of that claim??? that's a serious issue...

i'm impatient to read what u guys think about that

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 22, 2010, 03:50:11 PM
Saw the 10000 Diablo in action this weekend jigging.
Sticky drag cost us a nice doggie and a few other fish so the angler switched to a 20k Stella. Reel was given to the charter operator to test.
Probably a Saragosa grade reel but a bit rough in feel and the handle is crap.

Simon Ball

March 23, 2010, 04:57:33 PM
Sticky drag cost us a nice doggie and a few other fish so the angler switched to a 20k Stella. Reel was given to the charter operator to test.

Hi what charter was that ? There's one loan (old style) reel out, with a charter in NSW and they are no where near Doggies ?

As far as I know no charters are using the old style reel except that one loan reel.

Steve at Australian angling has 4 out to chase doggies, I'm pretty sure they only left today.

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 23, 2010, 05:36:36 PM
Simon, I think Sachin is refering to Fiji, and yes.. a long way from NSW  ;)

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 23, 2010, 06:13:11 PM

Hi what charter was that ? There's one loan (old style) reel out, with a charter in NSW and they are no where near Doggies ?

As far as I know no charters are using the old style reel except that one loan reel.

Steve at Australian angling has 4 out to chase doggies, I'm pretty sure they only left today.

What..?

Havent you heard about the big doggies cruising around  the shelf off Sydney.... ;D ;D :o

Pete

Simon Ball

March 24, 2010, 03:07:51 AM
Steve is off to PNG I think, he helped us fine tune the drag 6 months ago when it was fresh. He told me he should come back with footage of 200 or so Doggie hook ups.
He's also testing out the current handles, on this trip

He would be the fussiest guy I've spoken to in Australia (after all he sells the best Japanese rods) but the torture he put us through on drag testing was worth the end result (38kg dead smooth)
But then again, Mark at Just tackle in Karatha, tested it by skull dragging a 200kg Tiger shark up to the boat and 2 guys holding him, and was happy with the standard wet drag. Ph 0891441166

Everyone has a different style and expectation I suppose.

I spoke to a pro jigger is SA, and I explained I had 2 confirmed cases, of the handles being folded, and I couldn't see how it could happen, when it can take 20kg of side load, and 80kg of push load.

This guy then showed me, how handles get broken on game spin reels.
(When some people get tired they pull back on the handles as well as the rod)
I know this puts a massive fulkrum load on the joint at the bend, and the shear load on the knob shaft.
Which explains how it is possible. depending on the style of operator.
(designed to be pushed not pulled)
So anyway, there is a new one that takes both directional loads up to 200kg, before it breaks.

If you have a handle and you pull on the handle to retrieve, send in the handle and we'll modify it the same day.