• Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aussie reel
March 26, 2010, 06:06:27 PM
WOW,

I think if everyone looks at specifics on forums they can get a bit entangled in " If it's written it's true"

The way I see it in general is
" I have fans of my products regardless "

And I have non fans, that generally try to offer non- proven failure claims, because they some how are offended that their "team" (brand) is somehow deminished by someones claim they like something else besides their choice of brand.

Each to their own.

What's interesting is whenever good news arrives (real world) bad news arrives on forums, about my products ??

I've busted many BS artists making BS negative claims on my products on forums.

I think more so than anything else.
With the brand debates, it's like football teams, unfortunately for a niche (minority market)
with my products, when someone has something positive to say, it gets slammed by a majority in another team fan base.

For the record in response to a comment about other brands having teams of engineers and decades of technology behind them, that's fine.
Except the best products in the world are often made by the smallest companies, without constraints of internal politics and massive overheads, and while a market is still in it's niche stage, attention to detail is at a high level.
(And before someone accuses me of saying my brand is better than mass produced, I'm Not)
I'm saying "we supply attention to detail, and adapt to any issue very quickly."

It is detremental to your choice of brand if you bully someone who has made another choice of brand.

So while my business, has it's fans, I have enough to sell out of stock before it's even made.
And I'm happy with it, and happy to maintain a level of quality.
So if you are a fan and reading this, don't bother defending something you believe in, just be happy with it.
the World wide internet has about 0.05% impact on sales in a country that is about 2% of the global tackle market. (who gives a ####)

Cheers
Simon

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 09:22:01 PM
Luke, I'm very sorry to say but I think this sort of chat should be done more personal & not for all us to be poking our noses in.

If this keeps going on the way it is it will last for a very long time over various issues.

I hope something issoryed out very soon, for the sake of all the members on this forum.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 09:37:13 PM
Luke, I'm very sorry to say but I think this sort of chat should be done more personal & not for all us to be poking our noses in.

If this keeps going on the way it is it will last for a very long time over various issues.

I hope something issoryed out very soon, for the sake of all the members on this forum.

I'm sorry Brock but I don't see any valid substance to your post. Iv only tried to be fair and objective in respect to this whole topic.

I think it's about time that such questions and issues were answered properly with complete transparency.

I do agree it's rather farcical that some of this discussion has been allowed to go on, however, since these issues seem to be the talk of the town so to speak I think it's in the best interests of our members for them to be addressed.

Simon Ball

March 28, 2010, 12:50:00 PM
Hi,
Yes I was banned from a forum, for accusing a reel reviewer of another product of being paid for it.
Mainly because I took on some feedback from his review of my product in 2007, where after I spoke regularly to him about changes in the pipeline of upcoming models.
At the same time an individual asked him via email if he thought he should distribute my product in Tasmania, His answer was very contradictory to the conversations I had with the same person via email.
I then read an internet review that this guy did on another brand product, which co-incided with other media formats, the review was such an outright ad, I nearly wet myself.
So with a certain amount of distrust I accused him flat out of being paid for his internet review, and subsequently the post kept getting removed by the forum.
There was no foul language or derogatory comments, just listed facts.
Then I accused the forum host of the same bias, and questioned why they would not respond to my advertising enquirey within the forum a year earlier,  As well as a right of reply, Hey presto I got banned.

As for busting people for posting BS comments on other forums, the links have been posted on this forum allready by Jeff Aldrin , who by the way I have no idea who he is.
Why do you assume I would ? Or have you realised that how vulnerable forums are for the abilty for propoganda to be too easily inserted, as it is an anonymous media arena.
Anyway I wouldn't do that because quite simply it's illegal to missrepresent a business for financial gain, massive fines and possible Jail terms.
So for all the floors associated with annonymous discussion forums, wher I once relied on for product developement feedback, I no longer do because I have learnt it is too easy to BS on bothe positive and negative, Now I rely soley on direct customer feedback for future design, and occasionaly look at forums to see any possible links to back up any improvements in discussion.
(Taken with a grain of salt)
So as a result of combining all available feedback, design and infrastructure moves forward based on all parts of the puzzle, it's called lateral thinking and something I was fortunate enough to be cursed with.
So in my opinion it is best to let the products speak for themselves, and go Fishing.

To breifly elaborate on Chinese copies, it's not that simple. R+D is currently shared with contractors, so some parts are sold on, for example there are alot of internal components of many brands that are shared between various brands and then use different bodies, hence you will see alot of asian made reels with the same gear ratio etc.
So you will see almost identical looking products that also have different internal parts, which is all about to change to remove any confusion about who made what.
There are so many differnet processes that do not occur in a chinese made reel, such as ultra sonic deburing of parts, which is how you bulk batch debur small metal parts at a reasonable cost, in china there is no such thing (cost too much)
The result of that is very ugly in terms of wear time of metal mating parts, not to mention a process I have seen in debugging involved using lapping paste instead of grease to wear in the oversized parts, and left in the reels.
If you don't know what lapping paste is it feel like grease with glass in it, it's used for grinding in valves on car cylinder heads, which is fine if it and the metal particals are removed once the lapping is finished,  and that's 1 in a 1000 issues associated with possible quality issues.
as for engineering in fishing tackle industry, I don't think there is many that get involved in fishing as a sport it's self, I know countless engineering projects , where the design engineers have the design skill but know nothing about all the design criteria from a broad lateral view of every possibility of product use.
And that's where I usually get called in, because I can see the end result of an idea before it even starts in a mechanical sense.
If i get time I'll dig out a project that might elaborate on this, and has nothing to do with fishing.
And this is not about blowing my own trumpet, it's a desire to be challenged by offering information that someone might read and genuinely compete.
Simon

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 28, 2010, 03:00:02 PM

I think to be fair it was Jeff Eldrin who wished to make the discussion public.
Brandon and Luke were trying to deal with it in a more private manner but that got thrown out the window.

The way I see it its all soughted......Brandon has offered to test the reels at Elusive Reef.
If the manufacturers back the reels so strongly then hey....Give him a few to test out fully and  he can report back on them.

Pete

Simon Ball

March 28, 2010, 03:48:30 PM

I think to be fair it was Jeff Eldrin who wished to make the discussion public.
Brandon and Luke were trying to deal with it in a more private manner but that got thrown out the window.

The way I see it its all soughted......Brandon has offered to test the reels at Elusive Reef.
If the manufacturers back the reels so strongly then hey....Give him a few to test out fully and  he can report back on them.

Pete
If I get feedback in the real world which confirms any identities, and any possible relationships with other companies that could happen.
I have been caught out before trusting a recommended local forum game fishing hero, who turned out to be some kid who had never seen a Jig reel, let alone caught anything bigger than a 3 kg snapper.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 28, 2010, 05:11:37 PM
I don't know how I ended up being compared to some kid who could or could not land a 3kg snapper. Simon, all I will say in response to that is that my credentials would be vouched for most of the biggest names in the sport who I know personally. Without any intention to be rude, I would suggest my name is far better known in international GT circles than your brand name.

For your information, the only company relevant to this topic where it could be suggested that I have any kind of formal relationship with is Fullscale Lures where I am the lure tester but that fact is well-known to forum members. I also have a close but informal relationship with Ripple Fisher and Carpenter but those relationships are based around friendships, not because I have any kind of sponsorship deals. I have paid for every Ripple and Carpenter I own.

There have been other companies from time to time where I have assisted with some testing of equipment but these have been on an informal basis. I have never been remunerated for anything and before anyone asks, I pay for every one of the Nomad trips I go on. I pay for my own equipment and I choose to do so. I do not accept sponsorship arrangements as I wish to keep my options open to use whatever I want to use and I do not want my independence to be questioned. I'm a (very) part time fishing journalist because it is fun, no other reason and I write on the only topic which I have recognised expertise on - which is GT popping.

I have in the past been accused of being elitist from an equipment perspective but that is because I have rarely found viable budget options for this sport. Heavy popping and jigging is brutal on equipment - and any weakness will be found out at possibly the worst possible time. Anyone who has taken the time to read my threads on "recommendation for poppers" and "how to choose a GT rod" know that I laud  any cheaper options that are up to the task.

Simon, I have nothing against your product whatsoever. If anything, I would welcome a quality locally made product. If you want your product tested properly, find yourself someone with the credentials to do it properly but you need to find yourself a kind and expert jigging angler who has the luxury of going on numerous trips a year and fishes for extreme fish. Customer/forum feedback is questionable if you don't know anything about the expertise of the angler.

Peter, I really do not have an interest in testing this reel. I was prepared enough to do this until I found out that it has a 4.1:1 gear ratio. That is not a popping reel, it is a jigging reel. We don't use jigging reels for popping for obvious reasons. If he reel had a gear ratio suitable for popping, I would simply buy one if I wanted to test it, not wait for handouts from the manufacturer.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Simon Ball

March 29, 2010, 08:47:24 AM
Hi Brandon,
We have a 4.75 ratio that could be tested soon.
And also a 12000 size (950 grams)

Full spool line retrieve
Line retrieve for the Sniper 10000 4.1:1 = 979mm
Line retrieve for the Sniper 10000 4.75:1 = 1134mm
Line retrieve for the Sniper 12000 4.1:1 = 1108mm
Line retrieve for the Sniper 12000 4.75:1 = 1283mm

The 979mm retreive has been tested on popping and was just enough, with a bit of effort, from someone you know.

To remove the missconception of gear ratio vs line retreive I am still thinking about only selling reels marked with line retreive and no mention of gear ratio except on the warranty card.

The Sniper tournament will have 5.8:1 later this year, (line retrieve 1400mm)
Which is useless for jigging, but will also be 4.1, 4.75 optional.
And no, the 5.8 will not fit in a Sniper standard.

And so we are clear, I was not assuming you know nothing about fishing, it's an experience I have had, so reel testers are thouroughly checked out before hand.

If you are in NSW, best to speak to Iain Ross, to organise any loan gear.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 29, 2010, 11:41:20 AM
Thanks for the link Travis... some very interesting reading there.

In particular, I was interested in Alan Hawks response on page 4 of that thread.

IMHO, Alan is king when it comes to doing a reel review... without an agenda.
<*///><

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 29, 2010, 01:44:01 PM
I think this thread has run it's course with everyone having the opportunity to state their opinion.

I don't think anything else constructive can be discussed.