Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lure colours you love......
March 06, 2012, 03:05:38 PM
I was prompted into doing this as it seems from comments elsewhere in the forum that a particular favourite lure colour/pattern of mine is about to be discontinued :(.

So I thought it might be fun to ask members to post some of their favourite lure colours/patterns and the reason why.  This might even throw up some little known colours. I do think that often lure colours are more important for anglers than they are for fish, but nonetheless I am sure many of us have our favourites.

I will get the ball rolling with my two favourite Craftbait colours:

Craftbait's Peacock Bass
is perhaps my absolute favourite colour of any lure, anywhere. As well as looking quite stunning, GTs love it!  I think there is just something about that fire orange belly contrasting with the various shades of greens which creates a pattern that predators cannot resist.

Craftbait Ballistoides Conspicullum is probably one of the weirdest looking lure patterns you will find. It is a representation of the Clown Triggerfish and has a very delicately designed textured area on the back.  A real piece of craftsmanship and it is shame to hear that Craftbait are apparently dropping this pattern from their catalogue. I have been busy buying a few spares since hearing that!

Both of those are very well known lure patterns. This next one isn't.  It is an obscure colour from Adhek's catalogue (colour code NF14) which I have never seen for sale anywhere:

The lures pictured are all mine and are (from top) Cuttle 140, Venus 125, Big Gecko 160 and PomPom 160. I think that is the 3rd Venus and 2nd PomPom I have owned in this colour - the others being destroyed by fish.  The Big Gecko pictured has also been well mangled. I love the combination of greens in this pattern and I think the pattern is so successful due to the light and dark contrasts of those green shades. Any of you who like Adheks might want to consider ordering lures in this colour direct, as like I said before, I have never seen this pattern available for sale anywhere.

Finally I was going to include a third colour - Shell Shaping's rainbow pattern.  I think this is quite stunning pattern but despite trying, I have never caught a fish with it.  That makes me reluctant to include it here.

I know others have lures in this pattern - has anyone ever caught a fish with it?  Brandon, I remember seeing a photo of yours showing a Twister F5 in rainbow - have you caught a fish with it?  Would be nice to know that the pattern works as well as looking so great!
Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:20:41 PM by Mark Harris

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Lure colours you love......
March 06, 2012, 04:29:15 PM
My favourite to date is the HALCO Roosta in "Yellowfin"

I have two nearly destroyed models and one spare in my box ready for action!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 06, 2012, 04:55:13 PM
This quote would work very well as part of a GT lure manufacturers marketing pitch, thanks Mark, I am humored.

often lure colours are more important for anglers than they are for fish,

Set the ray to GeeT

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 06, 2012, 07:46:18 PM
Most of GT fishing has been in Fiji and I gotta say, favourite colours- dark, dark, dark, dark, dark and deep blue.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 06, 2012, 09:29:31 PM
Hands down the best lure that has caught me..... GT2 Abalone.
I have one, it was an ornament for a while then I used it, caught 4 GT's and now she is a little worse for wear :(

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 06, 2012, 09:40:58 PM
Good topic - a good colour pattern normally boosts the angler confidence, which is paramount in all fishing situations  ;)  Plus a lure with some brightness in it is easier to track in the chop, so POP-timing and therefore action is improved.

Warwick, that abalone pattern is amazing - any idea how they did it?

We have found blue to be the most consistent - the normally good red head/white pattern that works so well for us normally in the bluewater, is a total dud for the GTs!   ::)  I didn't think colour would be too significant with this style of fishing but I have outfished mates with a blue pillie pattern over their different coloured options.

I do have a pretty sexy looking dorado pattern Adhek Pompom which I will be swimming next time I am in fusilier central on the outer islands.
Focus on the pop

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 06, 2012, 10:19:42 PM
I also think the Craftbait Abalone finish is quite special.

Andrew - this is done as a shell mosaic and then finished with clear coat. 

I have seen a lure from Shell Shaping with a shell finish which was quite stunning, but sadly do not own any. I think there is a picture of one in Brandon's guide to poppers.

You can also pick up copies of any number of famous lures in Bali done with a very intricate mother of pearl shell finish. I have seen everything from Hammerhead I Cup to Halco Roosta copies done in this way. They look very nice but are only copies and the finish is very non-durable, so they are really for interest only.

As for colours generally, I think the confidence point Andrew makes is a good one. I definitely fish with a bit more gusto and confidence when one of my favourites is on the end of the line, although deep down I know that it probably makes  little difference.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 06, 2012, 11:04:26 PM
Hands down the best lure that has caught me..... GT2 Abalone.
I have one, it was an ornament for a while then I used it, caught 4 GT's and now she is a little worse for wear :(

I just purchased one of these bad boys for a trip next month, can't wait to throw it

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 06, 2012, 11:24:34 PM
 8) 8) . Happy to humour you Andy :) .

In the end I think if we all fished with the same one colour/pattern of lure, it probably would make little difference. Much more important I think is the quality of the lure and what the angler does with it.  But where's the fun in that ?  And it would do little for my OCD tendencies (or Craftbait's bank balance).

This quote would work very well as part of a GT lure manufacturers marketing pitch, thanks Mark, I am humored.

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 01:12:25 AM
  I do think that often lure colours are more important for anglers than they are for fish

It would have to be abalone gammas then  ;D

I know a hetadesu who lost a few many moons ago  :'(
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 08:38:09 AM
I just purchased one of these bad boys for a trip next month, can't wait to throw it

It will never look the same.....

Here is mine after 4 GT's, while the abalone veneer stays on pretty good the clear coat over the top doesn't stick to the abalone very well and chips and flakes off easily.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 10:30:35 AM
Andrew - this is done as a shell mosaic and then finished with clear coat. 

I have seen a lure from Shell Shaping with a shell finish which was quite stunning, but sadly do not own any. I think there is a picture of one in Brandon's guide to poppers.

I wouldnt be suprised if SS lures abalone pattern was an actual shell piece mosaic but the Craftbait GT2 is, as Warwick mentioned, is an abalone veneer.  Much like can be seen here -> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Abalone-laminate-AAA-grade-inlay-luthier-app-5x9inch-/370542710387?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5646110e73
Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:33:45 AM by Travis Heaps

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 01:04:15 PM
Here is a photo of a couple of the shell mosaic Bali poppers I mentioned earlier.

The work is very intricate and impressive. They are just ornaments though as the finish falls off quickly if you try to use them.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 01:20:16 PM
If GT are in feeding mode I think colour matters little, matching bait colours in the inbetween periods may sometimes improve the chance of a strike, I wonder if this may also be true in areas where fishing pressure is heavier. Two dominant bait colours I've found in East Indonesia are the green and blue depending on location.

Mark, I agree with the quality / design factors which equate to effectiveness of the lure, I think also an important factor is the anglers comfort factor with the lure, i.e. can I cast it far and work it effectively for extended periods. A proven colour will add confidence and keep one casting.

I remember reading an article on what colours fish see, I must dig this up and have another look, it would be real interesting in the context of this thread.

8) 8) . Happy to humour you Andy :) .

In the end I think if we all fished with the same one colour/pattern of lure, it probably would make little difference. Much more important I think is the quality of the lure and what the angler does with it.  But where's the fun in that ?  And it would do little for my OCD tendencies (or Craftbait's bank balance).

Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:22:25 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 07, 2012, 01:30:19 PM
Fish vision is a subject I have read a bit about Andy and it seems there are some disagreements in the scientific community.

One interesting point though is that is seems predator fish can see in the ultraviolet light range. That would perhaps explain why outrageous and unnatural pinks, oranges and lime greens work as lure colours.