wswong

info neede on the gipang 83H
April 04, 2011, 03:50:45 PM
Hi all,

I am new to popping and i am intending to get the gipang 83H and pairing it to twinpower 8000HG. casting lure size is about 120-150g. line use is PE4 or PE5. but i have not seen it in action, i wonder is the rod too stiff for me? anyone kind to comment on this rod?

tks
wswong

Mike_Tan

Re: info neede on the gipang 83H
April 04, 2011, 09:10:19 PM
The set up sounds ok except for your choice of line class. IMO PE4-5 is way too fine for casting plugs over 100g. You'll probably lose more poppers to line trouble (tangles/wind-knots/worn line) than getting reefed by fish. PowerPro, Tuf Line XP or Izorline Spectra in 65lb test is a safer bet and will still give you plenty distance! I'm not sure about your fitness level but I think for beginners its best to stick with 80-120g lures. Less tiring! Rods like the Daiwa Saltiga Expedition GT86, Smith WRC 80P/35, Seed GT Casting 88 and Hot's Gipang 83 are all easy casting and reliable rods. You can't go wrong with them.
Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:14:25 PM by Mike Tan

Michael Adolfsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
April 05, 2011, 12:21:38 AM
on a recent trip to the Andamans i used a Gipang 83 and a Carp. sp 80 and i just love the Carp. The Gipang was doing fine, but the Carp was my favorite, casting just as far. Just my opinion

Thien Dao

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2011, 06:00:24 AM
On a trip to Lord Howe last year, I used the 83H mated with a Stella 18000 and pe6 to cast and work Craftbait Gt3's and Cubera 150 without a problem. The outfit was very light and easy to cast with. Didn't hook anything on it so can't really tell you how it loads on a fish.

wswong

April 06, 2011, 01:02:42 PM
The set up sounds ok except for your choice of line class. IMO PE4-5 is way too fine for casting plugs over 100g. You'll probably lose more poppers to line trouble (tangles/wind-knots/worn line) than getting reefed by fish. PowerPro, Tuf Line XP or Izorline Spectra in 65lb test is a safer bet and will still give you plenty distance! I'm not sure about your fitness level but I think for beginners its best to stick with 80-120g lures. Less tiring! Rods like the Daiwa Saltiga Expedition GT86, Smith WRC 80P/35, Seed GT Casting 88 and Hot's Gipang 83 are all easy casting and reliable rods. You can't go wrong with them.

Hi mike,

i intended to use castmen PE5 which is abt 65lbs. will it still casue line trouble?

wswong

April 06, 2011, 01:04:17 PM
On a trip to Lord Howe last year, I used the 83H mated with a Stella 18000 and pe6 to cast and work Craftbait Gt3's and Cubera 150 without a problem. The outfit was very light and easy to cast with. Didn't hook anything on it so can't really tell you how it loads on a fish.

Hi Thien Dao,

does the 83H have a gimble?

Thien Dao

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 07, 2011, 11:09:09 AM

Hi Thien Dao,

does the 83H have a gimble?
Nope, just a rubber butt cap.

Mike_Tan

April 08, 2011, 09:59:03 AM

Hi mike,

i intended to use castmen PE5 which is abt 65lbs. will it still casue line trouble?

Hi there, it's not really the breaking strain that matters. Its the diameter. I've seen lighter varivas avani gt and ygk castman snapping off too often when anglers tried to use heavy plugs with them. Their fine diameter leaves little room for error.

Re: gimbals, personally I find gimbals a hassle and prefer the standard round Fuji rubber butt caps. Easier to place on your fight belt when there's an unhappy fish struggling at the end of your line!

wswong

April 22, 2011, 04:35:33 AM
Hi all,

thanks for the info.....great to have you guys around.

cheers