Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Capacity of Stella 10000FA for Tuffline XP
June 30, 2008, 05:11:26 PM
Guys,

Just a quick question about the capacity of the Stella 10000FA for Tuffline XP in 80 and 100lb.  I read some old posts that indicate this is the best line for performance/value so thought I would use it (reel yet to be purchased but not far off hopefully).  Also what would be the better size for general popping/stickbait conditions?  I am swaying towards the 80lb for improved casting distance?  Also what colour do people prefer.  I am swaying towards the green for no specific reason.

Thanks,
Simon

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Simon,
      I managed to get 200 yards of 80lb power pro on my 10k stella. Travis on this forum has the tuff line 80lb on his and i have compared the thickness and they are fairly similar if any difference the tuff line is slightly thinner dia. Hope that helps.
If you are to still purchase a reel some places offer free line, just shop around.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
gday mate - I reckon I managed to get about 220? yards/metres of 80lb tufline onto my stella 10000.  I've had no trouble with the line and would highly recommend it.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The 10000 spool will take 170m of PE8 so I think that you'd be looking around what the guys have advised - from 200 - 220 yards of 80lb TF XP.

As to whether 80 or 100lb is better, it really comes down to the area you're fishing and the size of the fish you are likely to encounter. There is no doubt that 80lb TF XP casts better than the 100lb and in the case of TF XP, it's quite noticeable. The 100lb, especially in white, feels quite waxy and tends to stick a little. On the other hand, if you're fishing in a tough location, you will have hell on 80lb if there are decent fish around.

The colour is not important to so go with what you like. I personally prefer white or yellow myself.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It's better not to overfill the spool lest you want to experience wind knot after wind knot , I usually leave 2~3mm from the brim of the spool thus allowing a couple of turns of mono leader in casting position .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks for the reply guys.  I think I'll stick with the 80lb for the casting distance and capacity.  I just have to hope that any big nasties I hook are nice to me......

What do you guys do with the 100 yards or so of line that is left over from a 300 yard spool?  It seems such a waste, but I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable having a joining knot on a spool of braid.

Also Brandon is it just the 100lb in white that feels waxy or would the 80lb be the same (I assume this would be the case)?  Also is the brighter line better for visibility of the angler?  I imagine the fish wouldn't be too concerned about visibiility of the line.

Thanks guys.

Simon

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Thanks for the reply guys.  I think I'll stick with the 80lb for the casting distance and capacity.  I just have to hope that any big nasties I hook are nice to me......

What do you guys do with the 100 yards or so of line that is left over from a 300 yard spool?  It seems such a waste, but I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable having a joining knot on a spool of braid.

Also Brandon is it just the 100lb in white that feels waxy or would the 80lb be the same (I assume this would be the case)?  Also is the brighter line better for visibility of the angler?  I imagine the fish wouldn't be too concerned about visibiility of the line.

Thanks guys.

Simon

Do be careful of the 'ping' factor in the 80lb - unfortunately, braided lines don't cope too well with high levels of shock. Many great fish have and will continue to be caught on this line class but it is something to keep in mind if you plan to go bull of the gates.

I would keep the remaining braid for other uses such as nail knots/whippings etc. It is rather short  so there's not much else you can do with it.

The brighter line is great for visibility for the angler AND for the SKIPPER! You won't have a problem using a bright line for GTs and most beasts.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
You could go for the 600 yard spool then when you get smoked there is plenty for a re-spool :D

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
One of the guides at Marion gave me a spool with 80lb Tuffline on it when I asked for 100lb outfit for jigging, he said it breaks well above the 100lb mark.
Greg 'FFF' Burt