Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What size trebles and singles
October 19, 2015, 08:49:30 AM
Hello all.
I was looking at some VMC 7/0 inline singles or the equivent in Decoy or similar.
For the treble I was looking at the Owner ST66TN in 3/0 size. Poppers are around the 120 gram range. Stickbait a vary a little but mostly similar length to the poppers.
How do these hooks sizes sound? I'm a little wary of putting too big a hook on and hinder the actions.

Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: What size trebles and singles
October 19, 2015, 03:41:33 PM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but there seems to be no uniformity with regards to hook sizes. Especially Decoy cutlass singles which are massive.

To better explain it, take a look at the attached picture. The baker on the belly is made of Jigstar Ninja 13/0's and the tail is a Decoy Cutlass 10/0. Despite being a 10/0, the Decoy is larger than the 13/0 Ninja's.

To answer your question though, pending what lures you're putting them on to, you could probably go up to 4/0 or 5/0 st66 equivalent trebles (3/0 or 4/0 if you want the heavier gauge st76) and don't be scared to throw an 11/0 sj41 or equivalent single off the back. A single doesn't add too much weight and the weight it does put on is in the right place to help with casting and get a good tail down position in the water on your pauses. My opinion on belly hooks is to have a finer gauge with more hook than to go with a stronger hook with less presentation.

This is all dependant though on the buoyancy of your lure and also based on the standard profile stick bait being around 20cm+ in length.

It's all a balancing act you've got to get right and the more hook, the better your chances of a hook up but too much hook will destroy the lures action and turn a floating lure into a sinking one.

Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 19, 2015, 06:49:11 PM
Another thing I should have mentioned was the lure is a 130g ASWB F1 in its first test guise. So marginally bigger than your intended lure size. I'll take it down the foreshore like this with the biggest hooks I can get on it (as long as the belly and tail hooks don't interlock) and test swimming action in some dead calm water. I'll also take along some smaller singles and some trebles till I'm happy with action and the stance during a pause.

It's good to have an assortment of hooks and do a little R & D on your lures because they're bloody expensive so why settle on someone else's opinion on what you should have on it.

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 20, 2015, 07:26:18 PM
Thanks Mark. You're right and I should have mentioned they would be Decoy Seargents which are more closely aligned with the VMC's. I'll look at getting a few sizes to be sure.