Joshua Fifis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Solid Ring Instead Of Swivel From Leader To Lure
December 21, 2015, 01:32:33 PM
Hi everyone,

This has most likely been discussed before but I couldn't seem to find much. To keep the weight down off the nose of the lure, I was thinking of using a solid ring instead of a swivel. So it would go leader, solid ring, split ring, lure. Anyone doing this? Any reason why I should or shouldn't do it? 
There's always a bigger fish!

Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Josh,

Not the best idea mate. I think you'll find that it probably hasn't been discussed because it's not a good idea. The swivel stops your line twisting every time you cast. If you watch your lure next time you cast, you'll notice that it twists a fair bit in the air which the swivel takes care of for you. The same applies when you're imparting action on the lure with sweeps or chugs which can twist your lure also. And then again when it's lodged in a fishes mouth. Twisted main-line is especially bad with top water fishing due to the increased likelihood of line tangles/wind knots without twisted braid which will only get worse once your line is all twisted up.

If you're matching terminals with lure size, I don't know why you want to take weight off the nose? I like a heavier nose to help keep the lure in the water while sweeping the rod a little over enthusiastically or during rougher seas.

Swivels are also a good bit of protection when the inevitable GT by-catch like doggies and Spanish have a go at your lure. It keeps your vulnerable leader that extra inch or so away from their teeth.

Rich

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Solid rings work fine spinning reels themselves generate twist in the line it pretty much unavoidable it's one of the reasons making sure your line roller bearings are in perfect nick is so important. I don't think the terminal you use would factor to much, besides only ball bearing swivels will turn under pressure Crane or barrel swivels won't. Personally I use a fairly small swivel and split ring the main factor in the size is that everything moves freely and won't jam when working the lure. I seen a couple of split rings on hooks open but never a leader connection.

Joshua Fifis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Solid rings work fine spinning reels themselves generate twist in the line it pretty much unavoidable it's one of the reasons making sure your line roller bearings are in perfect nick is so important. I don't think the terminal you use would factor to much, besides only ball bearing swivels will turn under pressure Crane or barrel swivels won't. Personally I use a fairly small swivel and split ring the main factor in the size is that everything moves freely and won't jam when working the lure. I seen a couple of split rings on hooks open but never a leader connection.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. I too have thought that you probably can go a size smaller for the swivel and split ring on the tow point as these will only ever take the load of your drag (plus some water drag), where the hook rings can lever off each other and can undergo much more pressure.

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Unless you eat ball bearings and Tabasco sauce for breakfast every morning I don't see how you could possibly open a 150 or even a 100lb split ring in a straight pull with a rod and reel.

As with all things fishing there's plenty of ways to skin a cat when it comes to rigging, Fumio Suzuki uses a crimp connection directly to a split ring for example.

Joshua Fifis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Can't get much more light weight than that!

I'll have to have a bit of  play with a few methods to see if I prefer one way or the other.