David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Twisted Leaders: Instructions + Diagrams
October 04, 2007, 07:38:00 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on forming end loops in braid using dacron like in this link? It looks good and saves on tying the 80 turn bimini?

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishingknots/spectra_fishing_line.html

I use something similar with braided mono on finer braid but wonder how it would stand up with 80-100lb ?

David,

I use 100lb+ Tufline and only ever splice the braid back into itself to form the loop when using this line (and i pretty much use this for a majority of my popping besides from when i use Varivas) - biminis are only tied if there is a breakage during fishing.

Hi Luke

Cheers for that, do you have a diagram of how you finish the splice? Is it just half hitches and a Rizuto or is it more hectic than that?

Cheers

David

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 07, 2007, 11:51:20 PM
Thanks for putting up that post of Che's diagram of the loop to loop connection Cam you mentioned a loop to loop connection on the Topshot packet. Can that one be undone?

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 08, 2007, 07:13:43 PM
Yip Sam,  the one on the TOPSHOT packet can be undone ,bit of a mission but it can be done,i got myself a pair of real pointy tweezers and they make it a bit easier ,although you do have to be careful not to damage the braid/mono/or dacron depending on what system you are using.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 08, 2007, 07:23:52 PM
Hi Luke

Cheers for that, do you have a diagram of how you finish the splice? Is it just half hitches and a Rizuto or is it more hectic than that?

Cheers

David

Hi David,

Only works with hollowcore 100lb+ GSP lines e.g. Tuf Line XP or similar.

Don't have a diagram, simply thread the GSP onto a needle, move 1.5 metres up the line and insert the line through the hollow centre until there is a small loop remaining. I no longer weave by going in and out instead just go straight through for the 1.5 metres or desired length. Apply some UV friendly glue to the loop junction just to help ensure that the loop doesn't close accidentally.

Aaron Concord

November 15, 2007, 08:03:49 PM
Hey Guys,
I came up with the twisted leader system after guide failure while casting bulbous leader knots back in 2002 on Nomad. I started with twisted 40lb on 50lb gear & quickly went up as the GT's got bigger and the rods & reel s drag setting capacities went through the roof.
I was after a slim connection from bimini to heavy leader. The twists add needed stretch under heavy load.
The system i use is twisted 150lb Jinkai, Shogun or Harris Shock Leader. 3m in length.
At the bitter end is a 300lb yozuri ball bearing swivel that is attached via uni knot.
However, I use 45-60cm of 120-150lb single strand wire from the swivel, to a solid jig ring that has a 11H Owner Hyperwire ring or Varivas 400lb split ring for quick lure changes.
I have seen big GT's wear through Twisted 100lb fluorocarbon...I have seen them knaw through 300lb single strand fluorocarbon.....single strand prevents a swallowed lure from being bitten off...its'the same rig for wahoo & dogtooth.
Line is Varivas GT Avani 10PE (130lb) with a 50-60 turn bimini as the double.
Leader attachment can be via a cats paw knot or better yet, pull the bimini through the twisted leader loop and pull the leader through the middle and to the right, then up the middle, over the other "leg"and to the left....do this 4 times around each leg, lubricate and snug down.
It doesn't foul...doesn't smash guides...has stretch and abbrassion resistance...and the wire acts as a thin spacer between the twisted leader & the lure....150lb single strand is pretty thin and inconspicuous!!!
Thats my usual rig...and it works for me.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Aaron.

Tim Mitsopoulos

December 07, 2007, 05:56:57 PM
Aaron i can't quite picture your leader attachment with the bimini and leader .When you say up the middle and to the left do you mean the after passing the bimini through the twisted loop you then pass the leader loop up and around the bimini legs left to right .

Aaron Concord

December 10, 2007, 12:33:19 AM
Tim,
When I get a chance this week, I'll try and take some pics to show how its done & upload them...it's quite easy & a very slim and strong connection.

Monte Bellows....heard they still get fish over 40kg there.....80lb or up I'd say!!!

Cheers

Aaron.

Tim Mitsopoulos

December 10, 2007, 11:28:12 AM
The pics would be  great Aaron , much appreciated.
With Monte Bello i'm def going with the heavier gear , better being overgunned than under and now knowing there are larger specimens up there i'm very excited.

Brad Bell

January 12, 2008, 03:54:25 PM
Hey Guys,
I came up with the twisted leader system after guide failure while casting bulbous leader knots back in 2002 on Nomad. I started with twisted 40lb on 50lb gear & quickly went up as the GT's got bigger and the rods & reel s drag setting capacities went through the roof.
I was after a slim connection from bimini to heavy leader. The twists add needed stretch under heavy load.
The system i use is twisted 150lb Jinkai, Shogun or Harris Shock Leader. 3m in length.
At the bitter end is a 300lb yozuri ball bearing swivel that is attached via uni knot.
However, I use 45-60cm of 120-150lb single strand wire from the swivel, to a solid jig ring that has a 11H Owner Hyperwire ring or Varivas 400lb split ring for quick lure changes.
I have seen big GT's wear through Twisted 100lb fluorocarbon...I have seen them knaw through 300lb single strand fluorocarbon.....single strand prevents a swallowed lure from being bitten off...its'the same rig for wahoo & dogtooth.
Line is Varivas GT Avani 10PE (130lb) with a 50-60 turn bimini as the double.
Leader attachment can be via a cats paw knot or better yet, pull the bimini through the twisted leader loop and pull the leader through the middle and to the right, then up the middle, over the other "leg"and to the left....do this 4 times around each leg, lubricate and snug down.
It doesn't foul...doesn't smash guides...has stretch and abbrassion resistance...and the wire acts as a thin spacer between the twisted leader & the lure....150lb single strand is pretty thin and inconspicuous!!!
Thats my usual rig...and it works for me.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Aaron.
I am pretty sure that Harros Knotted dogs have been on the market for about 8-10 years and he got the idea as far as i am aware of an American ????

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2008, 05:02:21 PM
got a question regarding finishing off the twisted leader if you're not tying a bite leader? What is the best knot to tie to the swivel with both strands?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2008, 05:35:56 PM
got a question regarding finishing off the twisted leader if you're not tying a bite leader? What is the best knot to tie to the swivel with both strands?

OK so I read that a 3-turn uni is used to finish the twisty to the swivel. When I tried this I had trouble getting the knot to pull tight?

Also, when I'm bringing the two ends of the twisty together to form the twists it starts off really well then it stops forming twists about 2/3rds the way into making the twisty? any ideas why this is happening??

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 13, 2008, 12:12:44 AM
Jay - if you having a problem where it stops forming twists 2/3s of the way down, what is happening is that you're not getting enough twists into the line before trying to form the twistie. I don't know how you winding the turns intot he line but you need more!

After the line twists up, close off the two ends with a half hitch. You then tie this end to the swivel with a uni knot. I can't really understand why you can't get the knot to pull tight. What is the problem?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 13, 2008, 09:19:30 AM
Maybe check the size of your swivel?  Using doubled 80lb I use a 2/0 size swivel and it ties pretty well.  It will still take quite a bit of preasure to tighten the knot - you may have to try holding one end of the swivel in pliers to get enough grip. 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 13, 2008, 01:41:24 PM
Ok Brandon so more twists is the go, thanks mate I'll try that next time.
I was using a spinning reel to form the twists.

I don't really know how to explain it but the 3-turn uni just wouldn't pull tight like it does with a single leader... I would pull it as tight as I could then a loop would form in the knot and I could physically push the tag through and untie the knot by hand... sounds weird but I tried 6 times and kept getting the same result.

The leader I am using is 100lb Black Magic Supple.

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 13, 2008, 03:41:58 PM
i would like your littie help on those leader photo that i make ..

i would like to know is that a good idea or not ???

let me know if i did some thing wrong ..
Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 04:33:39 PM by Mick