Aaron Concord

Hey Guys,
Went into Fish Head yesterday to be greeted with a choice of 75 Jai/7seas poppers.
There are 3 models from the Kingfish, Big head and Curvy Pop.
The Big Head is a newer version of the popper I got the big GT in November last year on...
At $29.95 a throw, I ransacked a bunch....Bloody Emanuel Eliadis and George Pang have put dents in the stock already.
They are cheap ( as far as tough poppers go!!) bloop well and most of all catch fish....
Just thought I'd share the info since my last bunch came from NOMAD as Damon usualy keeps his massive stock for the clients they work that well....

Cheers

Aaron.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nice looking lures, I had a look at them on the fishhead website.  If I found a decent wooden stickbait for that sort of money I'd be real excited!
Cairns Bommie Basher

Matt Hill

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
just did the same yesterday aaron. look great for $30 also grabbed a few of those new river2sea stickbaits for under $25 each. they look pretty shit hot too for the coin.

cheers matt

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
How do they compare to halco haymakers as the specs seem similar in terms of weight and size?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
just to clarify guys - it's not 7Seas as in the Japanese manufacturer which Matsutani was with previously. It's Sevenseas Proshop as is in a tackle shop in Bangkok.

Jai poppers work really work but don't expect the finish to hold up.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Aaron Concord

Yeah the paint isn't Craftbait tough....though they're in a damn fine price bracket with a truckload of big fish to their credit.
As you all know ANY tough popper is bloody hard to find in stock.
Through wire construction, 250-300lb swivel to hang your front hooks off...they are tried & tested performers.
These are a great fish catcher at a great price...by the time they should look a bit spanked, they're lost anyway!!!
The damn things catch with or without paint....seen it done plenty of times.
If you are worried about the wood sucking in a bit of water, hit them with some more 2 pack clear or urethane....for $29.95, what's to complain about IMO??
If ya don't like them, that's great!!!! There's more for me and I don't mind....just thought I'd share some good news. Thats all.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Aaron,thanks for sharing that information.

I did acknowledge that they really work but I think it is also fair for our members to know about the lack of durability of the finish.

The Jais end up looking like shaggy dogs after a couple of fish and trebles swinging around.

Perhaps what Aaron is suggesting in applying a couple of coats of a clear finish will help.

Aaron Concord

Brandom,
Jai has been working hard at improving the finish and I believe these are the best yet.
The original's I used DID look like shaggy dogs after a few fish, though the average fish I saw eat them was 30kg, which would make anything bar Titanium look shaggy ;D
If you want something to look pristine after a week of casting, perhaps spend the $90-140 for a 10 layer paint job....I am just going to spray some extra clear on them :)

Matt,
Bang for buck, they are hard to beat.

Andrew,
Specs may be similar though the Big Head bloops like no Haymaker!!!
They have the capacity to leave a splash a metre high if you put your shoulder into it!!

Stephen,
Yep, if there was a great sticky around for the same money, it would be a best seller!!!

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Price doesn't seem to equal durability.  I've heard the craftbaits have a tough finish, but my favourite Carpenters get smashed up very easily.  Blackjacks don't last long either.  If you want a tough finish get a plastic lure

Cairns Bommie Basher

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
if you want a tough GT lure, get an Orion!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Guys ,

Those lures that stay look " as new " generally don't catch fish , battle scars on lures are precious !  ;D

Jon .
Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 05:42:04 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Aaron Concord

Jon,
Having said that, your lures can take a heap of thrashing before they kick the bucket!!
Battle scars are precious!!!!!!!!
Nothing like looking at the fang marks in a lure that done a great job  ;D ;D ;D

Stephen,
"Generally" price is a good indicator for quality, though it's bloody hard to buy something that you have never seen or used and hope it's as good as the $$$ you paid for it should be....unless its a urethane(ALA Orion) everthing else I've used is timber to get the necessary balance and bouyancy right, which means a doggie or GT will ring bark it sooner or later!!

Brandon,
Since my girlfriend is French, perhaps I needed Orions more than the single malt whisky she bought me when she came back from Lyon last week....ya give a lady a shopping list and look what happens....I get drunk!!!!!!!
Cheers
Aaron.

Paul Taylor

Aaron,

Bought a few this morning myself.

In regards to the clear lacquer what type are you using and any other tips in application.

Regards Paul

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Guys ,

Those lures that stay look " as new " generally don't catch fish , battle scars on lures are precious !  ;D

Jon .

I agree.  Trouble is good lures still catch fish even when they're barely recognisable so I end up losing what would otherwise look very nice in my "retired lures" collection.  Both the lures pictured above ended up being lost to fish.
Cairns Bommie Basher

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Jon,
Having said that, your lures can take a heap of thrashing before they kick the bucket!!
Battle scars are precious!!!!!!!!
Nothing like looking at the fang marks in a lure that done a great job  ;D ;D ;D

Hi Aaron ,

Thanks for the compliment , Heru lures are proudly made by dedicated individuals , we try our best to give the best in value . The latest market we just opened is PNG thru you know who .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .