Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Carpenter: TBL vs EP
January 10, 2013, 06:10:19 PM
Hi Guys (and girls)

One for the Carpenter aficionados.

I am considering adding a medium weight outfit to my arsenal handling 80-90 lb (PE6) line and capable of working lures that would typically be 120-140g, mainly stickbaits but also the odd popper at the bottom of the range. Target fish would be predominately mid-range GTs with the possibility of the odd large fish (if my luck holds out!).

I've been focusing on both the Blue Lagoon and Endless Passion ranges. Although on average the EPs tend to be longer rods they share similar strength ratings with the TBL range and some portions of each almost overlap, even in terms of length (TBL 83/32 and EP 82/38 for instance). Is there a distinct difference with the way each range performs or is it fundamentally an issue of personal preference? For context, I use a Monster Hunter 80H for heavier work which fits me like a glove.

Regards,

Trevor     

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Carpenter: TBL vs EP
January 10, 2013, 06:59:31 PM
I suspect Brandon will be the man to explain the differences between the respective EP and TBL blank actions.

I have 3 different Endless Passions and one new TBL on order.  In my personal opinion all 3 of my EPs are more PE8 rods than they are PE6. That's certainly the case with EP 82/38 and, although I do often use EP 88/35 with PE6, it still feels better to me with PE8.

I have used TBL 83/32 once and it is softer than any EP I have used, and felt more suited  to PE6 work.

Just my own opinions and there is no way I would claim to be a Carpenter aficionado.
Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:10:59 PM by Mark Harris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2013, 08:29:04 PM
 :o. I reckon you might have more of them than I have!

Looking at what you're wanting from the rod, my inclination would be to point you in the direction of the EP85. The casting weights and the fact that you want some popper use from the rod in my view makes the EP preferable to the TBL. The TBL83/32 makes for a beautiful PE6 rod and is at its best in my view throwing 120g Gammas but it is not really ideal for poppers. To me, the EP82 is one weight class above and is a PE8 rod.

To me, TBLs are stickbait rods. All of that said, there are no absolutes here. So much of this comes back to personal taste.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 10, 2013, 08:50:24 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I guess there's no substitute for actually using the rod, very difficult if you're sold on a Carpenter.

It would make sense to stay with the heavier option due to where I fish and the fish that could hit the lure. My priority really is to be able to fish significantly smaller lures than the 'sweet spot' of the Monster Hunter rather than the weight of the outfit per se and it would be difficult to preclude smaller poppers from my tackle bag altogether although I seem to be going that way.

Now to get Nick to try and find me an EP..........   

Regards,

Trevor

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2013, 09:01:37 PM
Trevor, on that basis, and especially if it is smaller lures rather than lighter line that is your main consideration, I reckon EP82/38 (as a PE8 rod) and EP85/36 (as PE6-8, still leaning more to PE8 in my view) might suit you.

I tend to use the EPs mostly as stickbait rods but EP82/38 especially is very capable of working chuggers well, up to about 140 grams.

You could also look at Coral Viper 79/40 in the same light I think.

Brandon, nobody has as many as you  ;D ;D ;D .

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 11, 2013, 07:59:33 PM
Hi Trev!

I think both rods are good but the EP82/38 is a heavier rod and quiet a few of the Japanese clients have used them to good effect over the last season but mainly with PE8. I have used the EP85/36 a lot and have found this to be one of my favourite rods and have caught a good few decent fish on it with PE6. It casts like a dream with 120-130 range lure, has plenty of fighting power but very easy on the body. One of our clients caught a 60kg+ GT last season on a EP85/36 although with PE8, so can handle a lot of pressure but feels like a light rod. Works stickbaits very well and poppers if you fish the rod out of the harness, fishing it with poppers sideways tends to be a bit difficult loading the rod and lure. The TBL83/32 is a similar rod, I have not tested it against any of our big fish but feels in the same range and will be using one next month in Southern Oman.

I have the TBL83/32 and TBL80/40 shipping at the moment so you can check them out and see what you think against the EP85/36 in a couple of weeks. To many fine choices!

Cheers,
Nick

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 11, 2013, 08:54:13 PM
Thanks Mark and Nick,

So many great choices....think I'll take one of each!

Regards,

Trevor

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 11, 2013, 09:42:52 PM
I hope you make the right choice Trevor.  As Brandon said, these things are very personal.

That being said, I think you should really rule out TBL 83/32 unless the brief is for 120 gram and lighter stickbaits only, no chugger work.

I would still advise throwing CV79/40 into the mix now I really understand what you are looking for.  Otherwise EP82/38 or EP85/36.

Good luck.
Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:55:27 PM by Mark Harris

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 11, 2013, 10:32:08 PM
Thanks Mark.

I've sourced an EP85/36 which I've ordered. I'll have a look at the 82/38 when Nick gets them into the shop.

How many Carpenters do you have to own before you need therapy?

Regards,

Trevor 

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2013, 07:49:40 AM
I'd suggest it is driven by the desire to possess them rather than how many you actually have. Following that criteria, I think you reached that point  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 12, 2013, 07:01:24 PM
Wowzers Trevor!

Where did you source that from?!?!?!?

I was certainly taken with Nick's EP 88/36!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2013, 08:00:44 PM
EP 88/35 is a lot of fun. Bit long for using on a boat, but throwing lures that far is always fun :).

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2013, 08:01:41 PM
I'd suggest it is driven by the desire to possess them rather than how many you actually have. Following that criteria, I think you reached that point  ;D

LOL. Very profound  ;) .

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 12, 2013, 09:57:16 PM
How many Carpenters do you have to own before you need therapy?

I know the answer...1.

Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:00:43 PM by Trevor Skinner

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 12, 2013, 10:02:17 PM
Alex,

It's a very special one and if you're really good I'll let you take a picture of it in October.

Regards,

Trevor