Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
BKK GT Rex trebles
October 10, 2015, 06:27:59 PM
G'day all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these trebles?

I'm more inclined to put singles on poppers and sticks but on a recent trip, I snapped a single on the belly and stupidly forgot to bring spares. On went a random treble I found in my gunnel and I felt the popper sat and swam better than when I had the single.

So I thought I'd grab a pack of trebles to test out and these BKK jobbies definitely look the business. Super sharp point and look/feel sturdy enough. Has anyone thrown them around who can weigh in?

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: BKK GT Rex trebles
September 19, 2016, 03:04:45 AM
I've used the 5/0 on my last trip to the Andamans with no major issues.
They are comparable size wise with Owners. At 14g they are slightly more robust than an ST66 (12g) but still quite a bit lighter than an ST76 (18g). They are a neat, well finished hook and it's a shame they aren't slightly heavier (say 16g). Having said that I will happily continue to use them under the right circumstances.
I believe Ed (No Boundaries) has been using the 6/0 & 7/0 in S Oman

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 27, 2016, 07:05:04 AM
They are an excellent treble. I find them extremely sharp and tgey go really well with lures that are sensitive to weight like the Gammas
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 27, 2016, 04:17:11 PM
What size are you using on a 140 or 160 gamma Brandon ?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 27, 2016, 04:30:36 PM
I use the 5/0 on both the 140 and 160, Chris. Don't go bigger than this as it retards the action of the lures. The general rule with gammas is go as light as you can

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 27, 2016, 05:59:04 PM
Hi Brandon, Can I please ask, what size ST-66 trebles would better suit the Bluefish 95g and 120g & Gamma 90g, 105g ?.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 27, 2016, 06:18:26 PM
Leo, I am at home in Brisbane and don't have any of the smaller lures on me. I know that I use 4/0s on the 120s. If I remember correctly, I go to 3/0s on the 105 and either 3/0 or 2/0 on the 90. The problem with the ST66 is that they straighten just a bit too easily. I would suggest you consider ST76s one size smaller.

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 27, 2016, 07:08:09 PM
OK beauty...thanks Brandon...for the suggested use of the ST-76's  :) and the smaller sizes.

Take care

Leo

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 13, 2017, 08:54:56 AM
I am generally not a big fan of the ST-76 although I have used it quite a bit in the past out of necessity. Your selection of hooks comes down to compromises just like with rods. If you go for a really robust treble like a ST-76 or a Gamakatsu Recorder, getting that damn hook to stick isn't easy. A thin gauge hook like a ST-66 or a Fisherman just slides in and there is a very noticeable increase is successful hook-ups but of course, they open more easily. I know some anglers will argue that a ferocious hook set ALA Okubo will drive a heavy hook in. Actually, if a GT is biting on the lure, their jaws are so strong that I doubt that ferocious hook set achieves anything. I have found over a very long period of time that the gauge of the hook has a noticeable impact on successful hook-ups.

I also have a view that the hooks with turned in point or curved shape inwards have better hook retention that a one that is straight to the point like the Owners but if the turn in is excessive like with the Recorders, this has an impact in terms of the number of successful hook-ups.

It is a compromise!

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 18, 2017, 02:43:40 AM
It looks like the BKK trebles tick a few boxes and provide that compromise. I still use ST76's in situations where a heavier hook is required but i had largely stopped using ST66's.

When would you use the ST66 (presumably 5/0 ?) Brandon ?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 18, 2017, 09:36:20 PM
I used to use the ST66 primarily on Carpenter Gammas. The lure is ultra sensitive to the weight of the hooks. Heavy hooks just kill the action. The other issue is that with a soft stickbait rod, I want the hooks to stick as easily as I can. I have swapped to the BKK GT-Rex from the ST66. Its a superior hook in every respect

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 20, 2017, 03:11:41 AM
What 4/0 treble would you recommend for 100 / 120g lures Brandon ?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 20, 2017, 06:05:51 PM
Are you referring to surface stickbaits, Chris? If so, I'd be thinking the ST66. If you want to go to a ST76, you could think about possbly dropping a size.

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 21, 2017, 12:03:12 AM
On the smaller poppers such as a 125 Cubera i've been using the 4/0 ST76. These seem ideal size and weight wise but unfortunately they make a mess of the lure in no time at all 😞If only there was 4/0 BKK GT Rex !

I've not used the 4/0 ST66 as i thought it would not be robust enough for GT fishing.

I use a 3/0 ST76 and a tail single on my smaller sinking stickbaits which seems to work ok but I don't have a lot of experience of using floating stickbaits. I've got a Bluefish 100 and a couple of  Bertox 110g stickbaits which i'm keen to try in the Andamans next month but I'm not sure what the best hooks to use with these will be.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 21, 2017, 11:20:14 PM
Yes, the ST76s are brutal on lures.
As a general rule, floating stickbaits are best served by light trebles