2010 Saltiga vs. Stella SW
November 23, 2010, 12:48:23 PM

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 2010 Saltiga vs. Stella SW
November 23, 2010, 01:47:06 PM
Very interesting Jay and thanks.  Nobody reviews a reel quite like Alan Hawk  :o.

I was unaware of the significantly increased line capacity of the new small Saltigas.  That has to be a plus for the popping fraternity.

The rest of Alan's review hardly makes you want to run out and buy one in preference to a Stella though.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 23, 2010, 05:35:14 PM
yes, his review was less than complimentary in comparison against the 08 Stella. Anyway, I've got one so will be in a position to do a field test side by side against the Stella in a fortnight's time. No better way of doing a comparison.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 23, 2010, 05:46:43 PM
yes, his review was less than complimentary in comparison against the 08 Stella. Anyway, I've got one so will be in a position to do a field test side by side against the Stella in a fortnight's time. No better way of doing a comparison.

Will you be testing it for popping Brandon?

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
November 23, 2010, 05:51:33 PM
I was lucky enough enough to demo a 5000H over in NZ last week.  Gotta say it feels really nice.  Interesting review, particularly when you look at the price they are asking (compared to the stella). 

I think one of its greatest criticisms is also one of its greatest virtues though, I have about 4 spare 4500 spools looking for a new home, and I reckon a new 5000H will have me covered for PE4, Pe5 and now Pe6 work - with the collection of spools - you gotta love that.

I reckon the longer handle that comes with the saltiga (compared to a stella - even a yumeya long handle) makes a huge difference in comfort and leverage for a reel of that caliber!

I like it!  Saltiga 2010 - "Old Skool".....cool.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 23, 2010, 05:52:25 PM
yes indeed!

Will you be testing it for popping Brandon?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 23, 2010, 06:19:26 PM
What's the price comparison like in Australia guys?
Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:59:11 PM by Mark Harris

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 23, 2010, 07:19:16 PM
Mark

I hear retail for the 5000 is $1299 AU.  I note Motackle has them listed for $1249, they also list a Stella SW 10000 for $999 - if that's an indication of where retail is at!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 23, 2010, 07:54:50 PM
Whoa! That's a huge price difference. Madness!

Cheers Peter.

When I bought a Dogfight instead of a second SW18000, a key factor was it being a fair bit cheaper than the Stella option. That now seems to be reversing or have Saltigas always been especially expensive in Australia?
Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:00:23 PM by Mark Harris

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 23, 2010, 08:59:06 PM
Mark,

I think Shimano had a major price reduction about 8 - 12 months ago on the high end ranges.  Saltigas have stayed about the same, but the new model is significantly more expensive than the old one!  Ithink they are going to have some stiff competition, can't imagine they will be able to sustain those retail prices.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 23, 2010, 10:08:34 PM
there was a 20% or 25% price increase imposed by Daiwa on the new Saltiga. They were saying at the tackle show that there was going to be a price increase of this magnitude when the new reels came in. It's very hard to understand that when the exchange rate has moved some 33% in their favour (60 to 80 yen to the AUD) so if you look at it that way, then the price increase starts to look a little ludicrous. They can't blame Daiwa Japan for the price here because you only need to look at the price of the reel in other countries.

Paul Vogl

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 23, 2010, 11:34:46 PM

Mark, the Saltigas have been more expensive than the Stellas in Australia. However, this seems to be reversed O/S, particularly out of Japan.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 24, 2010, 12:00:52 AM
Thanks guys. Daiwa Australia must be absolutely raking it in, especially with that FX rate movement Brandon describes.

Previously as I am sure most know, Saltigas have been cheaper than Stellas overseas. As I said before that is the only reason I bought a Dogfight. Looking around, that gap has disappeared somewhat with the new Saltigas being priced similarly to a JDM Stella. In Australia though it seems the new Saltigas are massively more expensive than the equivalent Stella.

This all seems very strange and out of kilter.

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 24, 2010, 01:44:29 AM
You also must note that the Saltigas have been out alot longer than the 08 Stella.

If you look harder, Saltigas are only sold in Tournament dealer shop and as such competition between stores are minimized. Whereas the Stellas were readily available at any stores that carry Shimano product. Really the Stellas have been better value on average than the Saltigas. If the Saltigas were available to more stores, then you'll see the prices drop significantly.

Imo, both reels are just as good as each other but the Stellas just edges infront with more variety of sizes and the drag setup and performance is unmatched so far......

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 24, 2010, 01:53:37 AM
The old Saltigas were more expensive than the Stella FA series but when the Stella SW series come out , the Saltigas were cheaper but now the new Saltigas are released , the whole cycle is repeated again and usually during the first few months of the new release , prices are very high but 12 months later , they supplier will start reducing price to get customers . As for situation in Oz , as Brandon described the exchange rate is in favour of buying from overseas rather than buying from local retailer although with JPY there aren't much can be expected as JPY appreciate pretty much the same as AUD against other currencies , most of all to USD .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .