• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 2010 Saltiga vs. Stella SW
November 24, 2010, 08:11:34 AM
Wait until a red, yellow or even green 2010 Saltiga comes out! Dig deep boys!

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 24, 2010, 12:47:01 PM
I have a few friends who work in the corporate offices in Anacaonda and Daiwa have a strict policy to all stores that stock thier items that price cutting is not allowed. Ever see the catalogues when they have thier 30% off all fishing equipment (excludes DAIWA branded items). Price fixing at its bet, Daiwa Australia is controlling what the retailers sell for so inflated prices on Saltigas are here to stay!

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 24, 2010, 01:36:15 PM
Having used the new Saltiga 5000H - I really like them.  The Drag is great, v.good spool capacity, very water resistant, good size / weight and sensible retrieve ratio's available to the Aussie market.  I expect they will handle the rigours of what they've been built for and they look the goods also. 

I'd have one in a flash, and keep my Stella's also.

Cheers David

Tony Busscher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 24, 2010, 06:34:56 PM
i see there on ebay already Z500H JMD, Price  Aus $1253.00 Plus air frieght say $35.00 with insurance .

mark gaal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 24, 2010, 09:44:25 PM
I had a play with a couple of them at a mates shop the other day and they feel very nice, good to see a reel with a larger spool that fills in the gap like the 8000sw   My only gripe was the spool colours don't really match with the grey rotor etc. Soon as they release a red one I'm grabbing it. Price was $1300 for the larger model. Thanks for the correction.
Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:58:51 PM by mark gaal

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 24, 2010, 11:06:18 PM
SW6000 Stella?? not the right size to compare to the saltiga5000 or the 4500. The current SW6000 is a PE3 reel, ie small like the previous model 5000, just with a little more capacity.

The current comparable Stellas are the 8000 and 10000, with optional Yumeya 12000 spool.

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 24, 2010, 11:52:35 PM
Although these new saltigas are in the smaller size  its a fair guess  the larger sizes when released will be comparable in terms of workmanship. i have had a dogfight for nearly 3 years and its only been used on lbg i have never had any complaint i think its a tank  . I did buy the 18000 however  due to weather over the last 12 months in qld have yet to fully test it out on something decent
 the main reason was for purchase was to i needed a reel match with a ripple fisher tuna 86 loved how smooth the gears were .  When Daiwa bring out the larger models i will be interested to see reactions. 
what i found interesting recently was a conversation i had a one of the larger tackle stores i frequent  one of the guys who works there and i wont name names or the tackle store said earlier in the year they went out with one of the sponsors and  a number of brand new Stella 18000  7 out of 9 (i cannot confirm what he said)  structuarly failed totally  i.e gears   supposedly 1 wouldnt even wind from the box  among the group who went on the experdtion sometimes all manufactures get a bad batch.
 i would love to really check the details however doubt if i can confirm and its hearsay . As this is the first time i heard of  the SW  failing

regardless of reviews i will not be influenced by somebody who takes a reel apart and thinks they know it as well as the engineers who built it !!!
 i will fish with both Saltiga and Stella and compare over time . My Stella has yet to go through the punishment dished out on the rocks  yes you don't often get giant gt but the conditions  when rock fishing put your reel through more wear especially high speed spinning where you are casting and winding at full speed for over 6/8 hours in a day secondly salt water and all the other stuff .  the 10000 SW became  last year the new reel ppl were using as the season kicked off some happy some have sold i am the only one with the 18000 simply i wanted to move into popping at some point and the fact you can up grade spool size if saltiga had a spool as big probably might have got it . It to often becomes a polarised debate i wil buy the new larger saltiga next year and give it a thrashing. instead of doing that to my stella and spare 200000 spool though probably do both if the waethers good
Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:00:04 AM by Gareth Branicki

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 25, 2010, 02:01:44 AM
Amazing how many times you hear stories about Stellas failing this way and Saltigas failing that way...... never seems to be first hand. I really don't think we need another Stella vs Saltiga debate full of second hand stories.

What is relevant at the moment is the performance of the new (incredibly expensive) small Saltigas.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 25, 2010, 07:36:34 AM
I agree, Mark. I don't know how many times I have heard these fables emanating from tackle stores about how we broke 14 Stellas or crushed 10 Saltigas and everyone of them failed. If we are going to get breakages, I'd expect to see more of them from our membership here than anywhere else for the simple reason that we ask more from the reels than most, if not all other forms of fishing. 7 out of 9 Stella 18000s failing? Please ........   ;)

I wonder how much of this rubbish is driven by the fact that some stores are aligned with one manufacturer.

I'm also aware of another wannabe manufacturer who goes around telling tackle stores that he can't even get one trip out of a Stella without it breaking.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Damian Fantozzi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 25, 2010, 09:49:20 AM
After reading alan hawk's review, it seems that there are some features of the saltiga which are a little dubious in a reel of that calibre. If its supposed to be the pinnacle of spinning reels why would it be made with 2nd rate bearings for example? maybe it makes no difference to performance but it says something about the objectives of the person who designed and made it, if they set out to make it the best it could be, it would not have used anything but the best components available. And theres the adoption of some of the things shimano use such as one piece bail, tapered spool lip, but the failure to pick up on other things like  the below spool/ twin drag. shimano may not have invented these ideas, but they do seem like good ones.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 25, 2010, 10:23:59 AM
Amazing how many times you hear stories about Stellas failing this way and Saltigas failing that way...... never seems to be first hand. I really don't think we need another Stella vs Saltiga debate full of second hand stories.

What is relevant at the moment is the performance of the new (incredibly expensive) small Saltigas.

Agree totally....

always second hand tales.

The most disturbing thing for me out of all this is WHY Daiwa Australia are putting such an obscene price on this reel when there is no justification for it for reasons Brandon has already outlined.

Pete

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 25, 2010, 10:26:13 AM
Isn't price fixing "illegal"??
AKA: Sunny

Jim Isherwood

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 25, 2010, 10:32:20 AM
Looks like were in for another marathon post !!! this ones going to be priceless . :)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 25, 2010, 10:42:43 AM
Isn't price fixing "illegal"??

Only amongst competitors, where this more like shooting oneself in the foot  ;D

'Go Ford'
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 25, 2010, 10:48:38 AM
Some real experience stories, preferably about the new Saltigas, would be good :).

I did once break a Stella SW18000 by the way... I dropped it onto a stone floor and cracked the housing. Hardly Shimano's fault :).