Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Discussion on various trebles
February 02, 2011, 08:38:55 PM
I think VMC trebles come as standard with XRap Magnums? If so, first thing I do is take them off and give them away :).

So do I. ;D

Pete

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 02, 2011, 08:54:48 PM
Thanks Aaron. Don't think I have come across those thicker gauge VMC trebles.

Tony Yancic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 02, 2011, 09:14:54 PM
I got some Shogun extreme trebles from fish head  they come i think from 4/0 to 10/0 they look the goods has anyone on here have any feed back on these trebles?

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 02, 2011, 10:40:50 PM
Mark,

The X-Raps come with 4X VMC's.
I have some old 6X VMC's which look like a miniature ST-76 in gauge!
They don't bend too easily though they are too small for most GT poppers.

Aaron.
To big for No 12 size Barra lures Aaron?
Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:34:59 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 03, 2011, 03:07:42 AM
many Owner ST 66 5/0 was open,

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 03, 2011, 04:24:01 AM
many Owner ST 66 5/0 was open,

Hi GeGe ,

If you look closely , STBL66 4/0 and 5/0 share the same wire thickness and in 5/0 , it's just too much a leverage while in 4/0 it's just right .

Jon .
Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:06:27 AM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 03, 2011, 04:41:39 AM

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 03, 2011, 05:41:12 AM

Hi Gege ,

Nowaday I use treble on the belly and single hook pointing upward on the tail , GT tends to hit from the side aiming the front part of the lure/fish , hence the need for treble on the belly and single hook at the tail does less damage to the fish unlike when treble is used at the tail .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 03, 2011, 07:01:16 AM
My problem Jon is that I am an atypical fisherman  ;), I fish almost all my GT in tail of lure and when I fished with 2 treble, it was the treble on the belly which damaged the GT, perhaps for me

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 03, 2011, 08:59:14 AM
My problem Jon is that I am an atypical fisherman  ;), I fish almost all my GT in tail of lure and when I fished with 2 treble, it was the treble on the belly which damaged the GT, perhaps for me

Ditto that Sacco - i'm not sure if it's because I work the lure faster than most or what but the vast majority of my fish are on the tail hook and they are never swallowed to the extent that you see in a lot of other photos, in fact I don't think i've ever had a GT swallow an entire lure.  To that end it was always the belly trebles that ripped up my fish when I used them as well.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 03, 2011, 02:47:39 PM
Gege / Travis ,

I stroke / twitch the lure slow to get the maximum time in the strike zone , 1 treble is definitely less damage to the fish and single hook at the tail is just an added insurance for those fish that strike from behind . With other species as YFT n Sailfish , off the belly treble n only single hook at the tail .

Jon .

Aaron Concord

February 03, 2011, 06:13:04 PM
Bun,

I bought the 6x VMC's in size's #4, #2 and #1 for jack and barra lures, though I found at times the heavy wire of these hooks added too much weight to the whole lure and killed the action.
Once up to 120mm in length, I just got rid of the belly treble and it didn't stuff the action up on these size lures.

Travis,

When I was pegging poppers all over BreakSea Spit, the most commonly used popper was a 150mm BillsBug.
These things got swallowed all the time!
I remember seeing a photo of Tim Baker with his arm down the throat of a massive GT up to his shoulder.
If you don't know Tim, he's 6'3 and a damn fit bloke, so it was a looooooong way in!
Since the lures ended up on the inside of the mouth, the Gamakatsu Treble 16 5/0's we were using held together most times.
Jaw hookups were where hooks got twisted a fair bit more, which is one reason why we looked for stronger hooks.

Aaron.

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 03, 2011, 08:04:10 PM

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 03, 2011, 09:17:55 PM
I reckon about 70% of the GTs I catch on either poppers or sticks are on the belly hook.

I don't think speed of working the lure is the issue. Compared to others I have fished with I have a notably fast chugging style for example.

Perhaps it is more a factor driven by the conditions of where you fish regularly?

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 04, 2011, 01:04:46 AM
Perhaps it is more a factor driven by the conditions of where you fish regularly