February 04, 2011, 01:08:07 AM
Bang goes my location theory then!  ;)

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Discussion on various trebles
February 04, 2011, 02:46:02 AM
In a second life in school and university, I would like to learn correctly GT languages to speak with them  ;) :D and.............................english  ;)

Mike_Tan

February 11, 2011, 02:17:34 PM
From a noob's point of view...

Durability- Decoy, Gama 22A and GT Recorder
Holding power (Better hook up/retention)- GT Recorder and Decoy
Sharpness- Owner and Decoy

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 11, 2011, 03:54:27 PM

Are you saying then that the Decoy cover all the bases in your opinion?

Mike_Tan

February 11, 2011, 11:24:40 PM

Are you saying then that the Decoy cover all the bases in your opinion?

Yes but it's terribly difficult to get hold of so I have to make do with other brands at times.
Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:26:40 PM by Mike Tan

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 12, 2011, 12:29:25 AM
I would not really agree with that and would say that Owner ST76s are more durable than Decoys and only beaten by Gamakatsu Recorders in that respect.

For hookup retention nothing will beat a single.  The points made earlier in this thread by Brandon and Aaron about using lighter gauge Owner ST66s for a better hookup are very interesting and valid I think.
Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:39:44 AM by Mark Harris

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 12, 2011, 12:35:56 AM
Mikey, The 8/0 are avail. I just took 15 packs! Cant find the 10/0 thou.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 12, 2011, 12:43:38 AM
I personally think the ST76 is even stronger than the comparable sized Recorder

I would not really agree with that and would say that Owner ST76s are more durable than Decoys and only beaten by Gamakatsu Recorders in that respect.

For hookup retention nothing will beat a single.  The points made earlier in this thread by Brandon and Aaron about using lighter gauge Owner ST66s for a better hookup are very interesting and valid I think.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 12, 2011, 12:45:26 AM
What about the weight to strength ratio? As unexperience as i am, from reading here and speaking to people like you, Brandon, the weight of the treble and spilt rings plays a big part in the balance of the lure with much more emphasis placed on stickbaits?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 12, 2011, 07:46:40 AM
I'm not sure I can answer your question on the weight to strength ratio, Chris. I can only say that among trebles, the strongest one in my experience for its size is the ST-76. I've seen pretty much every hook (both single and treble) used for GTs straighten at some point or another. Tak Otsuka managed to straighten a Jobu 9/0 and a Shout Kudako 7/0 on the same fish. Clearly, the fish was able to exert pressure onto both hooks and they gave. I think in the scenario, most hooks, especially the trebles, get compromised.

The lures that are most sensitive to the weight of the hooks are surface stickbaits, especially lures like Carpenter Gammas. That's why I use ST-66s on them. Sure, you can use heavier hooks but it does dull the action of the lure.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 12, 2011, 05:56:30 PM
That brings up the thorny issue of recommended hook sizes, even when the lure designer has thoroughly tested the lure.

Recently for example, I rigged a surface stickbait with 5/0 hooks as advised by the lure designer only to find it tending to sink. A quick inquiry determined that he had used Treble16 5/0s for all the testing and I had used my normal ST76 5/0. Large difference in weight, although the size is similar.  The lure actually works well with ST76 4/0 and 5/0s in lighter gauge trebles.

Then of course there is the Decoy factor who use sizes which bear no resemblance to those of other leading hook manufacturers!

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 12, 2011, 07:29:02 PM

For hookup retention nothing will beat a single. 
Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:30:42 PM by Dan Wulf

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 12, 2011, 07:53:24 PM

For hookup retention nothing will beat a single. 
So why use trebles if single hooks or single hooks in a baker rig setup provide highest level of hookup retention?

Well this discussion is really about trebles  :). The single versus treble debate has been done to death before and I think it is fair to say the jury is still out.

My experience is that you get fewer hook-ups using singles, but a larger proportion of them are solid hook ups. Hence the comment that hookup retention rate is better with singles. Does not mean you catch more fish with singles though as your miss rate is higher (well mine is, at least).

I have heard of those Owner barbless ST66s but cannot seem to find them reliably anywhere. As well as pinching down a barb I always file off any sharp bits left.  In that way you get smooth and completely barb-free hook.   Best to do a box a time at home rather than messing around with a file on board a boat.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 13, 2011, 12:39:26 PM
At the moment I predominantly use Owner ST76 5/0 as they suit a good variety of poppers that I use at home and for those trips away I've got GT Recorder in 7/0 and 8/0 for those bigger poppers. Also use ST66 4/0 for any of the smaller poppers I use, namely Sea Frog 120's.

What are peoples thoughts on the Shogun Extreme Trebles and the new ones Australian Angling have released?