Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I have a friend who own BC78HS in Base Custom model n when compared side by side with BC75MHS , the difference in length is attributed to the length of the handle pretty much like LR86 and LR89 LDC . The old BC75MH has 25mm ring on it's stripper guide hence when used with #4000/4500 sized reel , will make noise during a powerfull cast but the newer BC75MHS has 40mm ring guide and is no different than BC78HS in everyway .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Jon, so there's a 3 inch difference in handle length and the blank is pretty much the same length in both?

That sounds as if BC75MHS handle is very short then?  How would the handle length compare to something I know, say a CV79/40?

As usual, really appreciate your guidance on Carpenter rods Jon.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Jon, so there's a 3 inch difference in handle length and the blank is pretty much the same length in both?

That sounds as if BC75MHS handle is very short then?  How would the handle length compare to something I know, say a CV79/40?

As usual, really appreciate your guidance on Carpenter rods Jon.

BC75MHS has a shorter handle still than the handle of CV79/40RF SHP , it's a light medium rod so one needs no low positioned gimbal to use it unlike what is needed when using more powerfull GT rods such as MH models . I will try to get the photo of the handles , side by side but may not be in time to do so within this week unless my good friend can come to my house in these next couple of days .  :-[

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Scott Cushman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I've used the OTI tuna sniper, 8'6 40-60lb rod. It is a casting machine and is stronger than it looks/feels. I just sold mine as I wanted  a lighter rod. The OTI is 460grams, I bought  a Tenryu Spike Tuna 8' (pe 4-8), apprx 330grams. Sorry havent fished it yet but the weight difference is noticeable....

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Geez, the OTI sniper is very heavy. That's heavier than a Wild Violence.

Scott Cushman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Yeah, but have a cast if you get the chance, its a good rod for the $$$$. The tenryu is very light, I doubt it will handle PE8 but I guess I'll just have to try it first before saying it.....

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
I've used the OTI tuna sniper, 8'6 40-60lb rod. It is a casting machine and is stronger than it looks/feels. I just sold mine as I wanted  a lighter rod. The OTI is 460grams, I bought  a Tenryu Spike Tuna 8' (pe 4-8), apprx 330grams. Sorry havent fished it yet but the weight difference is noticeable....
Mark, I also fish a Temple Reef Black Devil 100, which I would class in the similar casting weights.  At 8'8" it casts a country mile with very little effort at all, but like the OTI it is a heavier rod, and can be a bit of a handful working surface stickbaits.  I find the longer rods (over say 8') really start to be counter productive in the PE4 - 5 range (if casting distance is not your number one priority), you end up carting around a lot of rod in order to get enough stiffness in the longer length.  For comparison, I think the 80 TN weighs in at 390 - 395 grams (about the same as a CV) and the STK 76 under 300 grams! - that makes a lot of difference when twitching surface stickbaits for long hours.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Very good points Peter and all taken on board. As always it will be a compromise :). What in our game isn't? :).

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Mark ,

Just got the measurements of the handles of BC78HS n BC75MHS ,

BC78HS    : Butt grip total : 425mm n Foregrip total : 245mm .
BC75MHS  : Butt grip total : 395mm n Foregrip total : 185mm .

The blanks for both rods and the realseats are of the length / size / type .

Jon . 

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
hey mark .

hmmm maybe you should look into carpenter blue chase rod - BLC83/16
which you wanted to handle PE4-5 and can handle 40-100g lure .
and it weight at 325g . only 5' longer than what your,re after ??
BLC83/16    : Butt grip total : 425mm n Foregrip total : 185mm

hope this help,s

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Cheers Jon. That really completes the picture on those Black Current rods.

Excellent recommendation Mick. I think the Blue Chaser is very hard to get though. Jon, are they getable?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Mark ,

Sent you PM on the availability of BLC rods , as for the suitability , I can't say much of this rod as I have not tried it yet .  :-[

Jon .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Mark,

I bought one of the BC75MHS after seeing a mutaul friend of Jon and mine belt 70 to 80 gram lures a looong way on it. He is a very skilled caster and was casting easily as far as me and i was using a LR88 and HLTN87 :-[. I believe he has also landed 35kg GT on it.

I have not tried mine yet, too busy with work, but look forward to trying it out. As the 78 version is too hard to get i was thinking of extending the butt section but still not sure about it yet.

Andy

Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks as ever Andy.

I am sort of leaning towards a Saltiga 80TN as it has had so many recommendations and is the ideal length I was looking for.  The price appeals also as this is a rod I would not use that often.  On the other hand, Carpenter options re always so hard to resist!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Mark,

Good point, for that class of rod it is harder to justify the cost of the carpenter :-[.

Cheers
Andy
Set the ray to GeeT