Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thanks as ever Andy.

I am sort of leaning towards a Saltiga 80TN as it has had so many recommendations and is the ideal length I was looking for.  The price appeals also as this is a rod I would not use that often.  On the other hand, Carpenter options re always so hard to resist!

Mark,

The 80TN is a beautifull rod IMO.
I really enjoy using mine.

Pete

Mike_Tan

Please consider the Major Craft Offblow Hiramasa Casting 710 Long Cast or 77 Power Game. I have the 710 Long Cast and its a wonderful rod for working 60-80g lures but will also fling a 100g Yo Zuri Surface Cruiser a long long way.

Al Morrison- Guess what, the Mike Tan who sold you that Tenryu is on this forum too! (Heard you ordered a Twinpower from Changi Pro? ;))

Al Morrison

Mike, great to catch up again.

Hey, that Tenryu was flinging Long Pen 110's over the horizon in the Maldives again last year and doing the business with smallish GT's too. Still a brilliant rod and a pleasure to use all day long.

I have a few of the very small major craft rods (bass rods) and they are all excellent. The Twinpower is old - I'm trying to get spare spools for it now.

Mark, I just received the tackle list for LPB and guess what - they recommend bringing a PE 5 rod (not a 9ft 6 inch one though !!) for light spinning etc at night. So I'm looking as well. My Shimano LP's are possibly a bit too light. Dave and Rudy recommend 7kgs of drag on the light spinning gear....... on what planet is 7kgs of drag light spinning ????  I cant wait.

Let me know how you get on with the Daiwa if thats the route you take.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Jarrad was kind enough today to give me a few swings with his OTI tuna sniper, 8'6. Strange rod in my book and I think it definitely should be tried before buying. I could not get it to load properly using 100 and 110 gram sticks - the casts were flopping out a bit and the balance of the rod feels very strange. It also has that weird loose-surfaced 'furry' type Eva grip which  I always associate with rod and reel combos from the supermarket!

As a comparison when casting a 110 gram Ocea Pencil, I was getting more distance with my Ripple GT82 and PE8, than I could with the Tuna Sniper loaded with PE5.  Not encouraging.

Al, I surely will and that option is feeling ever more likely.

Thanks for that Mike.

Rick Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Jarrad was kind enough today to give me a few swings with his OTI tuna sniper, 8'6. Strange rod in my book and I think it definitely should be tried before buying. I could not get it to load properly using 100 and 110 gram sticks - the casts were flopping out a bit and the balance of the rod feels very strange. It also has that weird loose-surfaced 'furry' type Eva grip which  I always associate with rod and reel combos from the supermarket!

As a comparison when casting a 110 gram Ocea Pencil, I was getting more distance with my Ripple GT82 and PE8, than I could with the Tuna Sniper loaded with PE5.  Not encouraging.

Al, I surely will and that option is feeling ever more likely.

Thanks for that Mike.

Just wondering if that is the new model Tuna Sniper with the k series guides? I wonder if the nano resin build has anything to do with the action/casting. Any other feed back? (was thinking about purchasing one)
Thanks!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Key feedback from me Rick would be to try before you buy as this is a quirky rod. Not saying it is a bad rod, rather it is a bit odd. It almost felt as if the 100 and 110 sticks were too light to get a proper load up but that can't be the case!  Jarrad from whom I borrowed the rod for 30 minutes, pretty much agrees with me.

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Mark,

It's a pity you want something longer than 7ft 8 or I would recommend the Smith KGS 70MH. It's a true PE3-5 rod and you will pull in those fish really quick. It will also handle lures up to 100g and match those reel sizes pretty well. Despite being only 7ft I still feel it is more than long enough. I can't say exactly how far I can cast with it, but on a good cast its far enough that when the lure lands, I really have to squint to see a 60g popper's action on the surface. This rod is especially good for chugging.

Alternatively, correct me if I am wrong but MC works dominates their local market for the niche that you have just described. Perhaps you could browse their 7 miles and explosion series:
http://www.mcworks.jp/rods/sevenmiles/sevenmiles.html
http://www.mcworks.jp/rods/explosion/explosion.html

I think Tak Otsuka will be a good source to ask about these, although from the pictures they are probably rods more inclined to stickbaits as he has mentioned (Carpenters, naturally!)
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Mark, I just received the tackle list for LPB and guess what - they recommend bringing a PE 5 rod (not a 9ft 6 inch one though !!) for light spinning etc at night. So I'm looking as well. My Shimano LP's are possibly a bit too light. Dave and Rudy recommend 7kgs of drag on the light spinning gear....... on what planet is 7kgs of drag light spinning ????  I cant wait.

On this note, Sebastien, who is especially adept at light spinning at night, uses a KGS 70MH as well. I can't say its really for casting out long distances though - there's just too much risk of something big eating your lure a fair way out while anchored up and immediately busting you off!

I would say the most ideal set up for night spinning, Al, is a shorter jigging type PE4 rod and lots of 40-80g bay rubbers with lumo finish. Often they'll anchor over shallow sand inside bays of the reef and you can really clean up on emperors, trout and little groupers from just under the back of the boat.
Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:24:20 AM by Kasey Leong

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
the problem with the MC Works are they are every bit as hard to get, if not even more so than Carpenters!
Al, I agree with Kasey. The best rod I have for fishing at night is a shorter jigging type rod. My favorite is a Saltiga Hiramasa 63s. I landed a very big GT around the 40kg mark with this rod when anchored up a few years back.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Mark,

It's a pity you want something longer than 7ft 8 or I would recommend the Smith KGS 70MH. It's a true PE3-5 rod and you will pull in those fish really quick. It will also handle lures up to 100g and match those reel sizes pretty well. Despite being only 7ft I still feel it is more than long enough. I can't say exactly how far I can cast with it, but on a good cast its far enough that when the lure lands, I really have to squint to see a 60g popper's action on the surface. This rod is especially good for chugging.

Alternatively, correct me if I am wrong but MC works dominates their local market for the niche that you have just described. Perhaps you could browse their 7 miles and explosion series:
http://www.mcworks.jp/rods/sevenmiles/sevenmiles.html
http://www.mcworks.jp/rods/explosion/explosion.html

I think Tak Otsuka will be a good source to ask about these, although from the pictures they are probably rods more inclined to stickbaits as he has mentioned (Carpenters, naturally!)

Many thanks Kasey - I really value your words there.

On MC Works, I have been after another rod from them (in a different class)  for a quite a while now. As Brandon says, so hard to source.

I will have another look at a KGS 70MH for sure, hopefully quite soon when I am in Singapore.  If I can get myself over the length issue though, I do think I would go for a Carpenter Black Current 75 - that rod seems perfect in every way bar my phobia about short rods. But I am determined to pick up a KGS 70MH and have a feel for sure - I have not done so for a while. And the Daiwa Saltiga 80TN still has a lot of appeal on price and the fact that 8 ft is really exactly what I am looking for :).

Al Morrison

Mark,

Apologies if my LPB mention has cross threaded this chat what with PE 5 "spinning" off their boat at night vs you actually using it one as a light GT rod !

How do the Saltiga Jigging rods (Hiramasa 63S for example) stack up performance wise against the Shimano Jigwrex's? I ask because i have a slew of the Jigwrex's in a variety of models (PE4,5,6 and 8 OH and Spinning) and they have handled 40kg Sambos off Perth (PE 8) and sailfish to 40kg plus (PE 4 and 5) with ease and are a pleasure to use. Budget rods I know, but i wouldnt have any fear loading 7kgs of drag on the PE 5 - 6 footer I have. I've not got to look at the Saltigas yet but the Shimanos do have a rather "forgiving, through action".

Might have to sniff that Smith out in Singapore myself.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Mark....looks like you are getting closer to a decision.

Did you look at the Ripple Fisher Aquila 7'6" they have 2 versions which I have heard good review on, i think there is a yamaga blank along the same lines. I am really quite amazed at the quantity of rod models that keep coming out from Ripple, i also note longer (over 8')versions of the ultimo range  have become available which I would love to try out!!. On another point I have a GT78Flex which i really like and also bought the Tuna 86 which i really don't like as I can't seem to fire lures very far on it compared to HLTN87, it just seems too floppy, anyway getting off the topic.

look forward to seeing what you decide on.

Andy
Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Cheers Andy. It is very hard to keep up with the Ripple/Yamaga offerings!  I was indeed looking at the Aquila range and also the Yamaga Blue Sniper 80/5. The latter really appeals on price and I have heard good things about it.

There are a lot of options to look at. This is a decision I really want to get right! I have hesitated on the Carpenter and Ripple options (frankly, they are my usual rod choices) due to price. As I said before I am not sure this rod warrants $1000 as I will not use it that often compared to my more "normal" popping rods.

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Al, a PE4 Jigwrex will be fine. In all likelyhood after a full days popping without stopping, you might have 2 drops at the back at night, catch one fish, and then collapse from exhaustion! And that's just the first night  ;D

Lumo bay rubbers are the key here, because as I have said, you will be anchored up mostly over sand and not structure and simply catching what passes through. Plastics would do equally well.

Mark, which MC works rod are you after? Perhaps I can try to help if you haven't already placed your order - but please don't specify a custom!
Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:20:10 PM by Kasey Leong

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Kasey, you'd have more chance of getting a custom MC Works rod quicker than a factory or factory special. Most of the factory rods are sold out as soon as (if not before) they hit the Japanese market. Time to get rid of the Mogi special maybe??  ::)
AKA: Sunny