Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shimano TCurve GT Special
January 07, 2008, 02:13:54 AM
depending on the model Steven, but average around the 420 - 430g mark, I think. This is excepting the WV83XH-S which has a really heavy butt (extra long).

The Shimano actually reminds me more of a Seven Seas.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 07, 2008, 08:35:45 AM
The GT Special is around 550 grams. It is comparable to a Carpenter WV, SS Amourclad, Fisherman GT Monster in both terms of weight and application - TRUE STUMP PULLERS :o

Tim Mitsopoulos

January 07, 2008, 04:04:35 PM
Hey Luke .
Finally convinced my local tackle store to get me a GT special in to look at ( being in Melbourne they don'e sell too much of this gear )  Since they are the ones organizing the trip to Monte Bello i'm going on  they knew i would buy it for that trip if i liked it.Most of the guys are using the Nitro Godzilla for that trip.
I get a members discount with them but when they told me the price $350 :o i nearly ran out the store with the rod and didn't ask twice , needless to say i'm the proud new owner of the GT special.
Got to say never having done any popping or seen a popping rod before , the thought of a fish being able to bend this rod in half is nuts  ;D
It also came with a great rod bag that stores the butt section in a seperate pocket . Thanks for the advice very happy with my purchase.

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 08, 2008, 07:33:32 AM
Tim, You are a thief ;) Well done!!

"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 08, 2008, 04:55:38 PM
Ok what about this guys, Shimano GT Special versus Daiwa GT 86? I own one of the latter but I haven't really been happy with it and am considering selling it and buying the Shimano.

Hi Jay. I have used a Daiwa GT 86 and really like it but it is more suited in my opinion towards pencil poppers rather than larger and heavier cup poppers. I find my Caranx Kaibutsu more suited to larger cupped poppers and heavier pencils. It is also a fair bit gruntier as far as lifting power is concerned. Be good to have a feel of the GT special loaded up. Sounds like a real grunt stick. I should be getting my WV80 soon so that should make for an objective Caranx Kaibutsu and WV comparison.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 22, 2008, 10:22:28 PM
Six weeks since the last post, so, Stephen, Tim, Anthony and anybody else that has had a play with the GT Special, can you give an update on your experiences with, and how you find the rod.??
 Thanks Guys
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 22, 2008, 11:26:59 PM
Greg, I'm in the process of editing some video from today that will show the GT special in action, as well as my Calstar.  I should have it done by tomorrow so I'll post up the link in my report from today. 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 23, 2008, 09:54:35 AM
Thanks Stephen, also with the Calstar 700H will be a bonus as I haven't had anything on mine over 10kg, YET!!  :( ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 23, 2008, 09:57:42 AM
I've added the link to my report, or you can watch it here

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=t0nFpz1-5Yc

Fraser's in the blue hat using the GT special.  Both rods using PE8
Cairns Bommie Basher

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 23, 2008, 08:27:56 PM
Bought one today - as someone who hasn't fished for such big fish before I have to say it really is a stump puller...very solid.  Picked it up for $450 which seems standard I think?

Laurent Thiriet

July 14, 2008, 11:05:19 AM
hi luke
i live in new caledonia and i was told you tried the shimano gt specail here
have you got any pictures of this fishing trip?
i think i'll soon buy this rod, not too expensive and looks reliable

anthony rizzo

July 21, 2008, 12:42:43 PM
Update on the gt rod, the best example I can give you of what I think of this rod is, due to work I have left the area were I used this rod weekly, but there is no way I would part with this rod even when I thought of selling some gear to upgrade my sounder, in fact i am planning a couple of trips a year just so I can put a bend back into this rod!

Medium gts were hard work and a dragged out process until I purchased this set up. But as Luke knows I am still waiting for that big GT

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 01, 2008, 09:35:46 PM
Hey Greg,

I got my GT special at Cost price.... :o

My God what a top rod for the money even at normal retail....But at cost price I was a happy man. :D

Pete

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 01, 2008, 10:34:40 PM
Tops Pete, I popped one nearly all day at Marion and was very happy with it's form, certainly has some power, congratulations :). It's getting near time to test those reefs a bit Sth of us where Liberty hooked a 30kger 3 weeks ago, also a report of a couple sth of the cape last week, you can test it on the northen Banks pinnacles on your next jigging trip ;D.

PS: A Shimano rod deserves a Shimano reel ;) ;D

Looks like Sunday rather than Monday is a goer, looks like the top end again unless the SSW wind drops off early.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Laurent Thiriet

April 29, 2009, 08:59:03 PM
hi!

a few pics of my home made poppers and a GT caught with my GT Special

after the attack :)

and the mama :

1m40 from the V of the tail and the top of the head

shimano GT special + braid 80lbs + daiwa saltiga 5000 + favotite "home made" popper : really nice