Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Yumeya 12000 Corrosion issue?
August 14, 2011, 11:46:44 AM
Guys,
i finally get hold a few yumeya 12000 spool not so long ago when they become available in the market,
but after the first use i found a corrosion start build on the spool lip(inside and outside), i just wondering if any of you guys experience the same issue?

its started small, but i am sure as it get used more, it easily getting bigger as i had one 10000 spool ended up with big corrosion inside the spool lip.
I've read a few different stories from different forums about the corrosion problem on some stella spool, not sure if shimano aware of this problem.
some people said, that you need to take out the line after use to prevent this, but i guess it would be hell inconvenience when you are on a big trip to remote area,  fishing hard all day, and in the end of the day you need to take out line from spool.

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Yumeya 12000 Corrosion issue?
August 14, 2011, 12:50:05 PM
Is it a corrosion issue or a coating issue?  ???

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 03:11:58 PM
You only need to take the braid off the spool after the trip as the salt moisture in the braid will start corrosion.

After each days fishing make sure you rinse with fresh water and if possible allow to dry in the wind outside.

I managed to catch my Stella spool just as the corrosion was forming on the spool drum - white powder had started to form - now after every trip I remove the braid.   
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 03:52:56 PM
i guess its both? once the coating is failed, the spool is becoming very prone to corrosion

that is normally what i did for all my stella since it happened on my 10000, but with this 12000 spool its just happened overnight, basically i was too tired after the trip, so i just give a very good wash to the reel and rinse the spool, line for good one or two minutes just to help get rid of the saltwater, and let it dry. in the morning when i took the line out, i notice the spool coating has failed again :(
not sure if this is a common problem now, or i just the unlucky one to get the imperfect product.my other few stella don't have this problem tough, but i guess for high end stuff this is certainly an ISSUE
now i  start to think how painfull its going to be when i go to 7 days live a board trip to remote area when resources like fresh water is so scare, and having to do this extra work after each day of fishing ::)
time to go back to saltiga? :o

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 05:31:36 PM
Do you wax your spool before spooling with braid?  ???

I don't think it is an isolated problem, I have seen pic's of other spools with this problem...I think it is a coating issue, can't remember what coating  they use on the spool lip but it doesn't seem to stay on. Naturally anodising etc... isn't the best protection for corrosion but it looks good... ;)

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 06:05:26 PM
checkout my frens blog

http://fahizhussin.blogspot.com/2010/04/shimano-stella-defect.html

he seems to also have corrosion problems

how can we avoid these?

cheers
izhan

Michael Mihajlov

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 06:48:04 PM
Like Gary said, buy Saltiga...no more corrosion problems!

I don't have the new Saltiga but several of the previous model, one of which is 8 years old and zero corrosion on any of them.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 08:49:19 PM
Dont know about Yumeya but my old 10000SW Stella spool had the same issue.
Im a Daiwa man now.

Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 08:57:26 PM
i didnt wax it, only put a bit of oil on that lip. but hey this is $250 spool, enough to buy the entire mid class shimano, daiwa reel. why do we need to do all of this, just like when people give the old daiwa saltiga a hard time, where people complaint about they sticky drag, people said why i need to pay extra to upgrade the drag when buying an odd $800 reel. with shimano luckily they replace my 10000 spool straight away, with no question ask,  but with this 12000 spool i dont know how they deal with this, as its so rare in the market and i dont think shimano stock them and i bought this from states as well.
i used to have both daiwa and shimano and already convert to shimano now, but just my fair comment on daiwa, i never took my line out to be washed, etc etc like i did with stella now, once i took all the line out from my expedition, i notice there are sign of salt powder sitting there but surprisingly no sign of corrosion whatsoever in there even tough it might already be there for a year or so as i didnt replace the line for more than a year

Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 14, 2011, 09:06:48 PM
it started small like my yumeya 12000, along the time as it cope more punishment from nature its becoming like that.
this spool has very minimal use, probably only been out less then 10 times, and the first thing after i do after finish fishing is rinse my reel in fresh water, and i give a good rinse on the spool, line for 1 or 2 minutes

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 15, 2011, 07:22:34 AM
I now use Salt-Away on my Saltigas and strip my line regularly.
Hopefully it will make the difference.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 15, 2011, 08:53:35 PM
Not surprised you see this on the Yumeya, i have seen it on the standard shimano spools from when they first released these reels.

I've have not gone to the lengths of stripping line off and washing it after every trip, but thoroughly rinse and heavily spray with anti rust since i saw it first happen. I have even gone to sanding rough bits down with fine paper for fear of the flaking chrome damaging PE line.

Shimano this should not be happening unless you are trying to turn us all into maintenance nuts :(
Set the ray to GeeT

Adrian Braun

August 16, 2011, 01:59:08 AM
I have even gone to sanding rough bits down with fine paper for fear of the flaking chrome damaging PE line.

Why do that instead of calling Shimano and getting a new spool for free?

Adrian Braun

August 16, 2011, 08:35:39 AM
i didnt wax it, only put a bit of oil on that lip.

Is that oil INOX? I read about this problem on another forum and the fisherman used inox on the reel.

Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 16, 2011, 10:45:58 AM
I contact the shop I got the spool from, and was told that as this is a jdm product hence no warranty on this.@+!'". At first I was told to contact yumeya direct, but instead I request them to at least give me a direct contact to yumeya or at least talk to their spool supplier first.I am a bit dissapointed, but what else I can do.