Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Yumeya 12000 Corrosion issue?
August 16, 2011, 12:10:07 PM
Would attaching a sacrificial anode to the spool help prevent this? Something like the Owner rust stop tape?

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 16, 2011, 04:17:03 PM
I have the same on a 12000 spool for my Twinpower - just got to look after the reels better imho ... the salt gets down between the spool lip and spool and the rot starts - could be because they machine the spool before bonding the lip hence no anodizing letting the rot in? I have to oil the top of the spool to stop it spreading (3 year old reel btw)

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 16, 2011, 09:52:27 PM
I have even gone to sanding rough bits down with fine paper for fear of the flaking chrome damaging PE line.

Why do that instead of calling Shimano and getting a new spool for free?

Fair comment Adrian, has anyone been successful in getting a new spool for free with this issue yet??
Set the ray to GeeT

Adrian Braun

August 16, 2011, 11:50:43 PM
I have the same on a 12000 spool for my Twinpower - just got to look after the reels better imho ... the salt gets down between the spool lip and spool and the rot starts - could be because they machine the spool before bonding the lip hence no anodizing letting the rot in? I have to oil the top of the spool to stop it spreading (3 year old reel btw)

Could it be related to a local Australian product used on the affected reels and reacting with the coating? Look at this, biggest site for Stella users on the net none of them had that. http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/stella-sw-spool-corrosion-21550/

Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 17, 2011, 12:03:45 AM
Andy, as I stated in my first post. I did get a replacement spool for free for my 10000 spool which have this issue as well.they didn't look too surprise when I brought the spool to them.nah adrian its not only in australia, here where I am currently based in indonesia, where after service quality is hopeless. Surprisingly the only stella recall shimano agent in here knows is the corrosion issue on 10000 spool. They even charge for a line roller which is a warranty recall

Adrian Braun

August 17, 2011, 06:10:54 AM
This has been posted on the thread I linked earlier. Saltiga spools corrode too. I will pay more attention to rinsing the spools of all my reels after fishing starting now!!! 
Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:13:22 AM by Adrian Braun

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 17, 2011, 11:53:12 AM
Sounds like it is fairly common for people to strip line after trips?!

I must admit I have never done this on my 3 Stella spools, and am not noticing any corrosion. Two are JDM spools, one is an SW Aus delivered.

Do people think it is actually necessary? Sounds like a massive pain in the ass!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 17, 2011, 12:51:22 PM
Andy, as I stated in my first post. I did get a replacement spool for free for my 10000 spool which have this issue as well.they didn't look too surprise when I brought the spool to them.nah adrian its not only in australia, here where I am currently based in indonesia, where after service quality is hopeless. Surprisingly the only stella recall shimano agent in here knows is the corrosion issue on 10000 spool. They even charge for a line roller which is a warranty recall

Hi Gary, yes I see you mention the replacement it in your 3rd post, I missed it. Just out of interest was that spool replaced by shiamno in Indonesia? I am based in Indonesia as well and have at least 4 stella spools with this issue, perhaps i can follow up with them. I am currently looking for replacement for faulty line roller off one of my 18K's in Singapore as i can't seem to get one in jakarta.

Adrian, I have the corrosion problem on both 10k and 18k spools. I have 5 SW stellas and have started to replace alot of my spools with SOM versions

Cheers
Set the ray to GeeT

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 17, 2011, 01:01:30 PM
You can change/replace/strip lines easily with the gadget below.

You need to strip your line each time after saltwater trip especially if you owned a shimano.

cheers
izhan

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 17, 2011, 01:37:19 PM
You can change/replace/strip lines easily with the gadget below.

You need to strip your line each time after saltwater trip especially if you owned a shimano.

cheers
izhan

Izhan, that's right these are good for stripping line only.

Putting it back on is a whole new issue and you can't do it simply with this gadget. It is a whole lot more labor intensive to get the line on correctly.

Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:51:06 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 17, 2011, 02:04:31 PM
How many people seriously strip line from all their spools after each trip? Not something I have ever heard recommended, but now I am worried. I do rub the spool with Inox or lanoguard before putting the line on but only take it off if I am respooling.

Adrian Braun

August 17, 2011, 02:19:27 PM
Two are JDM spools, one is an SW Aus delivered.

The two JDM spools you have, are they Stella SW spools or the older FA Stella spools?

Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 17, 2011, 02:24:59 PM

Hi Gary, yes I see you mention the replacement it in your 3rd post, I missed it. Just out of interest was that spool replaced by shiamno in Indonesia? I am based in Indonesia as well and have at least 4 stella spools with this issue, perhaps i can follow up with them. I am currently looking for replacement for faulty line roller off one of my 18K's in Singapore as i can't seem to get one in jakarta.

Adrian, I have the corrosion problem on both 10k and 18k spools. I have 5 SW stellas and have started to replace alot of my spools with SOM versions

Cheers

nah andy,
shimano in indonesia is hopeless to the max, they even charge the full price+ mark up for the line roller which is a recall.
i used to be based in sydney before, i just recently moved back to Jakarta a few months ago.
if u despertly need a line roller for the 18000, i think i have one spare i can give to you.
i used to use the tape from shimano which they mention to prevent line slippage, but i recently stop using it, and coincidently all the corrosion occur on the spool without that tape, i just wondering if that tape is actually a rust proofing tape like the owner rust stop that shimano secretly given and claim as anti line slippage tape  ::) i was thinking why its so flashy for a tape just to prevent line slippage. i guess you dont even really need it actually, just tie a uni knot on it and twist it twice, it wont slip.

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 17, 2011, 03:24:22 PM
Two are JDM spools, one is an SW Aus delivered.

The two JDM spools you have, are they Stella SW spools or the older FA Stella spools?

One is a 14000SW, the other is off a 10000HG (older model). Only the 10000 really gets any use from me though.

Dan

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 17, 2011, 05:58:59 PM
How many people seriously strip line from all their spools after each trip? Not something I have ever heard recommended, but now I am worried. I do rub the spool with Inox or lanoguard before putting the line on but only take it off if I am respooling.

I have been following this with interest... I don't think you have anything to worry about Stu, stripping off line after every excursion is just plain crazy. If you park your car up for a month do you take the tyres off?  ::) ;) This doesn't mean care should not be taken when it comes to rinsing/cleaning your reel/spool.

Here's some info lifted from the Jerry Brown Industries website...

There is also products you could use for sealing the spool and protecting it... Most metal polishes would suffice, I have not used this product but it looks the goods  :D http://gordsaluminumpolish.com/