Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My new lure board....
January 10, 2012, 11:26:39 AM
Hey Warwick,
                  I've been using the gorilla owners instead of the sj41. Don't rust anywhere near as quick and the point on the hook is better. Drive em into bone! Always spray my hooks, belly swivels on poppers with a lubricant too. Last ages and saves a lot of $.
        Chris

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 11:33:40 AM
Gotcha Tony.

Just working the bugs out on the new machine on the home waters.  I managed a deep jigging session on Saturday for 6-8 kings in the 4-6 kg range (not huge but not bad for summer time).  More encouraging, was that I was comprehensively smoked on two occassions on PE5 after a mid water hookup!  Burried into the reef both times, so there are a couple of bigger fish still out there.

I'm keen to get up to the bay as soon as the crowd subsides, probably first couple of weeks in Feb.  I wasn't aware they did the Shoal Bay ramp, has it got much gradient on it? Those bunk trailers are a right royal pain in the %$*# on your own on a flat ramp.

I'll drop you a line, when I'm heading up if you are keen for a kingy luring session, any reports coming in of fish in the shallows?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 11:48:45 AM
Nice work Tony, I agree with you, armed and ready for battle!

We'll be the ones leaning over the side with the bent rods, not the ones fumbling around the floor of the boat looking for that 11H split ring - during a hot bite.

When you said you had a couple of FCL's, I didn't realise you were wall papering the house with them! 

What are you using to keep the hooks in new condition?  The down side of carrying everything pre-rigged of course!

Pete, on hook preservation and for what it is worth, I keep all mine in sealed plastic food boxes with rings already attached.  After each use I wash them thoroughly in cool fresh water and spray the eye (by far the part most susceptible to corrosion) with a spot of WD40.  That definitely helps.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 11:59:09 AM
Thanks Mark, maybe I just need to be more dillegent with my washing and lubrication. 

I find the SJ41's particularly troublesome, especially if stored with stainless rings attached!  Not just at the eye either, they seem to cause corrosion to break out all over the hook!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 12:08:31 PM
Yep agreed. In fact all of the owner gold colour singles (eg SJ 41, SJ 43, SJ 51) do not fare especially well.  I really only use those for jigging but the problem is the same.  All very good hooks but they do corrode.

For singles on casting lures I tend to use Owner Jobus which are far, far more corrosion resistant. Gorillas are another cheaper option but I don't like the non-welded eye on those.

I have had far fewer corrosion problems with the huge matt silver Decoy jigging hooks, but they are silly money compared to an SJ43 for example.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 12:10:29 PM
Hey Warwick,
                  I've been using the gorilla owners instead of the sj41. Don't rust anywhere near as quick and the point on the hook is better. Drive em into bone! Always spray my hooks, belly swivels on poppers with a lubricant too. Last ages and saves a lot of $.
        Chris

Hi Chris, I have used the gorillas before, they have the same point as the SJ51's. I much prefer the 41's point, a lot finer and sharper.
I have also found the 41's corrode quickly if not looked after but cleaning 1 set of hooks is easier than 10!

But anyways this thread has drifted off topic ::)

Mark is the wall of lure going to be part of some sort of shrine?! :P

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 12:16:29 PM

Hah! Kind of, it is all part of my grand design for a proper kit room (aka man-cave) :) .

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 12:39:20 PM

Hah! Kind of, it is all part of my grand design for a proper kit room (aka man-cave) :) .

Gotta have a man-cave. I am looking for property at the moment and one of the requirements is it needs to have a man-cave.

Chris

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 03:54:06 PM
Nice collection Mark can't wait to see the other boards.

How's the preparation going for Southern Oman? - decisions decisions on  which lures to choose.

I agree with changing hooks and not having every lure rigged, only takes a few seconds to split ring them on and off and  also less chance of all hooks rusting and loosing sharpness when not used for some time.

Good luck for the trip hope you get a monster.
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 07:02:45 PM
I don't want to harp on about this hook thing, but I spend a fair bit of time trying to get just the right hook combination for each lure so that it swims right and maximises the hook up rate.  Most of them seem to work with something different, not to mention changing lure sizes and variations in conditions.

I might be getting a little old, but I have enough trouble working out the right hook combination for each lure in the first place........never mind trying to remember it in the heat of battle.  Should it be Baker rigged with 11/0's and a Jobu or does this one swim better with a 5/0 on the belly and a 4/0 on the tail?...you know the kind of thing.  This is made all the more difficult when you have quite a range of lure sizes and styles, as I see some of you guys have.

What do you you guys do? tote around a lure rigging chart or something?  Or is there an Ipad app that you quickly flick to with the ungloved hand (he says tongue in cheek)?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 07:15:38 PM
 ;D @ Pete. Actually, when I choose my lures to go out with on that day, I usually rig them all once underway on the boat, and then hang them on the edge of a rubbish bin or something like that.

I find transporting rigged lures to be a real pain - you either have to use those annoying hook cover things which I always lose, or the lures just get hooked up to each other and everything else nearby.

I pretty much have it in my head which lures take which hooks which is made simpler by the fact that these days I almost never use singles on poppers or pencils, and sparingly on stick-baits.

@Craig - yes I think I have pretty much sorted out which lures I am taking to Hallaniyat next Saturday.  I will drop you a line as soon as I am back given your impending trip to the same spot.

Peter Heinke

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 07:37:31 PM
very impressive wall...

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 07:39:57 PM
Thanks Mark.

I'm Picking by those comments that you are not actually driving the boat at that time!

That not only frees up the hands......but also the mind! 

Nice lure board by the way!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 08:01:01 PM
I have been known to drive but not normally :)

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
January 11, 2012, 04:32:37 AM
Thanks Mark are you going to be running your lures with trebs on the trip?
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter