Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Lure colours you love......
March 08, 2012, 11:35:46 AM
I disagree.  If you don't believe me try it a swimming pool (salt water can never get that clear) you won't be able to see the colour of the lure and for sure your eyes are better at colour vision than a fishes

I'm pretty sure thats how i came to my conclusion (mucking around while spearfishing and looking up from the bottom of a pool) - but yep maybe the fishes eyes process colour differently to what we do.
Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:40:55 AM by gavin chau

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 08, 2012, 12:59:01 PM
Here's my approach to  colour...
I always work on the theory that I am trying to tell a convincing lie to a fish who mistakes the lure for something edible(or something that at least requires a strike).
So I need enough colour/contrast/shape/size/splash/ speed/ to be the most convincing lie.
As an example in dirty water along the coast, big poppers, contrasting colours, big bloops, slow retrieve. So maybe big ebipops, bigheads etc

If in still clear water around the offshore islands, smaller lures natural/neutral/hard to see colours/ faster retrieve, maybe neutral stickbaits?
The barramundi fishery has gone a long way with colour. The legendary gold bomber is black back gold sides, I think the reason it works so well is its mostly used in low turbidity tannin stained water so the black and gold become quite hard to see and there is enough movement and size to be detected but not enough vision to be proven as a lie. As the water becomes more turbid, contrasting, strong blotchs or bars (like the elton John) seem to outfish gold bombers, as the colour is unlikely to be seen as a lie.
I also think colour is one of the least important variables in lure presentation. Much rather have a good lure in dodgey colour that vice versa.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 08, 2012, 01:32:16 PM
I haven't got a bloody clue and won't until I am reincarnated as a fish one day (ironically, probably a GT) but I am still going to be attracted to the colours I like whether it makes any difference or not!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 08, 2012, 02:00:30 PM
That's the attitude Brandon :).

The idea of this thread was for folks to post exactly that - their favourite colours.
Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:12:15 PM by Mark Harris

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 08, 2012, 08:47:30 PM
That's the attitude Brandon :).

The idea of this thread was for folks to post exactly that - their favourite colours.

We did get a bit side tracked on the topic there  :D

For me, I look at a lure and it's colour and ask myself "if i were a fish does that look like something I'd eat?"

My other favourite colour is the fusiler, I have much confidence in that one!

Dustin Foo

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 14, 2012, 02:16:11 AM
Just a quick question guys. When you see baitfish of a particular type ie fusilier, scad or whatever.. is "matching the hatch" in colour and size considered worthwhile/desirable?

You can also pick up copies of any number of famous lures in Bali done with a very intricate mother of pearl shell finish. I have seen everything from Hammerhead I Cup to Halco Roosta copies done in this way. They look very nice but are only copies and the finish is very non-durable, so they are really for interest only.

I was just thinking as I read this - Maybe someone is doing this already... but could a shell finished, weighted "insert" be encased in clear plastic to improve durability, a bit like Pili and some other poppers (Kokoda - spelling?).  Modern urethanes are a lot more durable than the old polyester resin that would get chipped so easily.  With the magnification effect of the resin, a carefully sized insert would seem to "fill up" the lure body.  A shell lure does look beautiful, there's no doubt about it. 

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 14, 2012, 05:40:46 AM
Here are my favorite colors for my lures, but on the Poppers, the color is a pleasure to the fisherman but I think our GT do not care, it's just my opinion  ;), on the Stickbaits, it's very different I think.
I love the plug Orion blue white and red, it's curious   :)

Zimage

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 14, 2012, 05:47:07 AM
This color is not bad  ;)

Zimage

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2012, 07:22:22 AM
You have a Plug Tropic that is done up like drapeau tricolore!

Here are my favorite colors for my lures, but on the Poppers, the color is a pleasure to the fisherman but I think our GT do not care, it's just my opinion  ;), on the Stickbaits, it's very different I think.
I love the plug Orion blue white and red, it's curious   :)

Zimage

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2012, 08:06:17 AM
Dustin, I have seen some lures where the shell finish is below the urethane

Just a quick question guys. When you see baitfish of a particular type ie fusilier, scad or whatever.. is "matching the hatch" in colour and size considered worthwhile/desirable?

You can also pick up copies of any number of famous lures in Bali done with a very intricate mother of pearl shell finish. I have seen everything from Hammerhead I Cup to Halco Roosta copies done in this way. They look very nice but are only copies and the finish is very non-durable, so they are really for interest only.

I was just thinking as I read this - Maybe someone is doing this already... but could a shell finished, weighted "insert" be encased in clear plastic to improve durability, a bit like Pili and some other poppers (Kokoda - spelling?).  Modern urethanes are a lot more durable than the old polyester resin that would get chipped so easily.  With the magnification effect of the resin, a carefully sized insert would seem to "fill up" the lure body.  A shell lure does look beautiful, there's no doubt about it.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2012, 10:44:27 AM
You are very patriotic Gege - only French lures and one even done up in the Tricolore  ;)

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 15, 2012, 04:55:41 AM
Mark,
The french tricolor is a magnet to fish  ;), I have not only Orion lures from Eric, I have also Heru Cubera and this one  with some hooks and treble hooks  :P, it's a joke of course  :)

Zimage

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 15, 2012, 10:57:26 PM
Yu can hook 6 GTs at a time on it!  ;)

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 16, 2012, 04:16:50 AM
yes this is my dream and all GT greater than 50k for the fun Ah! Ah!  ;)

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 16, 2012, 08:36:26 AM
I would love to see the reaction of a guide if you tied that on, although I am sure you would struggle not to laugh.  ;D
Focus on the pop