Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Varivas Avani GT Casting Max Power PE
March 25, 2012, 03:01:28 PM
Anybody tried this line?

Slightly higher claimed average break than the usual GT Max power and slightly less than Super max power version. Comes in 300, 500 and 600m spools depending on the class. The main difference apparently is a coating of "super prime flouride" which claims to reduce friction through the guides. Average breaking on par with the varivas jigging lines, Tuna PE and Big One, so I wonder if it is just this jigging line with the flouride.

Set the ray to GeeT

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Varivas Avani GT Casting Max Power PE
March 25, 2012, 08:39:47 PM
Andy,
Is this new model? I have not found such model on Varivas internet site? May be you mean Varivas Avani Casting PE Max Power?
Anyway, according to their catalogue, all Max Power and SMP models you mentioned (both jigging and casting types) has the same SP-F coating, so it can not be a difference, I think... And the maker also writes that this line is specially designed for casting (though the material is the same Max Power). So, the question "why is the same material with the same coating different in strength depending on the model?" is really interesting. Anyone has an idea?

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 26, 2012, 12:31:25 AM
Hi Dmitrii,

Yep you have the name correct, and your question hits the mark, checking and translating all the definitions on the site give no more clarity.
Set the ray to GeeT

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 27, 2012, 06:00:38 PM
So does that mean the gt smp casting is pritty much the same as the 10x10 max power jigging braid without the 10m colour change?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 27, 2012, 07:40:17 PM
The mysteries of Japanese braid manufacturers :).

On a diameter versus breaking strain basis, I had actually always assumed that Varivas Avani GT SMP is more similar to  Varivas Avani Big One jigging braid.  Those seem to the two Varivas braids with the highest breaking strains versus diameter (?) and they are also of course the most expensive.

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 28, 2012, 12:09:00 AM
Dan,
According to Varivas homepage, "SMP PE (super max power PE) is max power PE with special additional coating, which makes the line more durable and friction resistant". Though both these lines (smp and mp) have absolutely the same treatment mark - "SP-F" coating mark. It is really mysterious. And it makes me think that "SP-F" coating might be of different level for different models. So, does it mean that it is not the coating type, but the coating level which makes difference?

And the maker does not say why the breaking strength of smp is greater than regular max power... I doubt it can be only because of the coating...

Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:11:27 AM by Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 28, 2012, 12:08:37 PM
Thanks Mark and Dmitrii, if its pritty close to if not the same stuff, do you guys think there would be any reason why i shouldnt use the 10x10mp on the casting gear too? Got 10x10mp in the pe3 and pe5 getting low on the jigging spools ie round 200m and going to re-spool them back to full 300m. Mite put the 200m braid on the casting spools as its in good condition?

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 29, 2012, 11:43:57 PM
I see absolutely no problem in using 10x10 Max Power for casting.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 29, 2012, 11:50:30 PM
I have done a fair bit of casting with Varivas Big One jigging braid without incident. I like the fact that a PE5 jigging braid tests at 80lbs (for example). Gives you very big line capacity.  And it's a good way to measure you casting distance  ;)

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 30, 2012, 12:42:39 AM
Avani GT max power by virtue of making it IGFA compliant seems to have somehow have achieved a better shock or strike load bearing capability :o ::). SMP and Big one both rated higher than max power do not fare as well under 'GT' type shock loads / strikes.

I'd like to try out Sunline in PE8 but until i can source it i am going to stay with what has consistently worked for me, i.e. the GT max power for GT applications. One day we may discover the science behind this stuff ;)
Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:44:16 AM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 30, 2012, 05:22:24 AM
awesome boys, thought it was a bit of a waste to bin it as it costs a packet!! As Mark said its pritty cool having the pe5 at 80lb, thats why i like it on the jigging spools as ya get alot on the 16000 spool. just dont spool it on the 8000 spool, comes up real short  :)

troy roberts

March 30, 2012, 12:05:02 PM
Hi Andy when i was thinking of spooling up dogfight i talked to the nomad guys and they had used that line but it was really bad for wind knots casting all day they put me onto the avanti gt still get the occasional knot .The other thing i noticed was the low breaking strength of the varivas pe 8 i was lucky to get 18kgs over scales and it never broke at the knot send spool back and they  reckoned it broke at 37kgs dont know how the japanese test these things very exe equipment i guess am using pe 10 now dont know if this helps or hinders .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 30, 2012, 12:34:11 PM
Just for the record, I use Varivas Avani GT Max Power for all my GT fishing.  This is in my view, the single best line you will find for GT casting purposes.  The only exception would be when I can't get it for some reason and then it is JB Solid or Tufline XP.

I do use Big One sometimes when I feel extra spool capacity could be an issue - eg Tuna casting - and as I have it anyway as Jigging line, I don't need to buy anything extra for the very odd occasion when I do go Tuna casting.

troy roberts

March 30, 2012, 12:50:16 PM
Sorry guys it was the smp they told me to steer clear of .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 30, 2012, 12:57:59 PM
I think many would give you that advice Troy - it is very sound.