Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Surprised that the Ryobi Carnelian is in the 'rubbish' group. I've read where one of the New Cal operaters use them with 100lbs braid, and Samurai rods successfully. Of course, longevity is unknown....

Mr Hawk's review closes as follows:

The Carnelian is badly designed, extremely heavy, needlessly complicated, cheaply made using comical components, assembled by people who couldn't care less, and all of that was manifested in poor performance and unpleasant time on the water. I am declaring this reel the single worst reel I have ever tested in my life, and I'm moving on.

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/rycar.html

Patrick Parisienne

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Well that's a pretty emphatic NO I guess!!!! Still surprised by the Penn Torque over the Saltiga!!!!

Robin, thanks for that feedback.  I too use a couple of Berkley rods for other fish, and am happy with them.  I can see the gist is that people  support buying a premium reel, and play with different sticks accordingly.

I've never held a 'premium' GT rod before (only up to an Xzoga 7710), and I thought that was nice. Can only imagine the top end stuff.....
As I found out with bream tackle, you don't know just how good the higher end stuff is until you use it yourself.

We'll see if my reels can handle some Bluefin Tuna (hopefully big ones), before I head to QLD.

Cheers,

Pat

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The Penn Torques would appear to be up to it. They're built very strongly. I'd suggest the primary reasons are that the reels appear more suitable for jigging and the price. At their prices, most people probably opt for the tried and true
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
At their prices, most people probably opt for the tried and true

Wise, wise, wise words that many people simply do need heed.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The Penn Torques would appear to be up to it. They're built very strongly. I'd suggest the primary reasons are that the reels appear more suitable for jigging and the price. At their prices, most people probably opt for the tried and true

And they look like drag queen's ear-rings  8)

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Wow - that's some serious bling  :o

Not a good look!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I'm not sure but looking at them, they way they are built bears some resemblances to the Van Staals and ZeeBaas. Were they designed as a surf reel?

Personally, I don't really understand why an angler would want to spend that kind of money on a reel with no pedigree in the sport but each to their own, I suppose. At least to Penn's credit, there has been none of the nonsensical claims which we have seen with some other reels but I will say no more as the last thing that gtpopping wants is for Pierce/Jeff Eldrin or whatever he calls himself these days to reappear.  :o
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
the last thing that gtpopping wants is for Pierce/Jeff Eldrin or whatever he calls himself these days to reappear.  :o

haha too true mate! wow that penns a very gold reel, i thought the stella was already a little too gold!
Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:03:36 PM by dan colebrook

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I'm not sure but looking at them, they way they are built bears some resemblances to the Van Staals and ZeeBaas. Were they designed as a surf reel?

Definitely some Zeebass and VS resemblance, but seemingly more robustly built? I am pretty sure they were designed as a surf reel Brandon.  Most of the profiles of the reel I have read on American tackle sites, imply just that.  My brother actually owns one and uses it for heavy cold water surf fishing.  I also note that there are bail-less versions.

Also I guess we have to remember that for American manufacturers, the popping and jigging market is tiny compared to surf-casting.

Patrick Parisienne

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:

I see on the Jarvis Walker website, that this model isn't sold in AUS, by them anyway.....

I suppose it will be hard for another brand to establish a following these days: You need people to buy them to get feedback and reputation, which then convinces people to buy them.

All the same, it seems there isn't really a viable alternative to spending $1K + on a GT reel. Saying that, what about 6500 Saltist's and 18000 Saragosa's??

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I have already recommended Saragosa 18000 twice in this thread Patrick.  Whenever we have these discussions about middle market reels for GT fishing, this one seems to come up as the favoured recommendation.
Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:40:14 PM by Mark Harris

Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Slightly off topic but may be relevant.  :(
Heard a whisper that Jarvis Walker soon is likely not to distribute Penn and there will be a raft of "Penn like" reels from china being distributed by Jarvis Walker ;)

On the Torque reel review, don't forget USA reviewer for a USA reel... :), but not a bad depth to details & explanation in the review.
Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!

Patrick Parisienne

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
You're right about the Saragosa's Mark, by bad........

Steve Li

Can consider the Saltist 6500 from Daiwa too. Have only heard positive feedback from ppl who have used it. There was a group who were using Saltists in Southern Oman on monster GTs and the reels performed to expectations........ And they look pretty slick too!
 ;)

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
I was surprised that the Saltiga came in a close third behind the Penn. Doesn't seem to be many fisherman using the Penn, can anyone comment as to why?
Its a bang for your buck rating and the new Saltigas cost much more than the USA Stella let alone the Torque. Not saying its a lousy reel in this company just that the $/performance equation is stronger in this case.