Felix Neuer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
is rods still a point?
if yes, take a look at the Shimano Caranx Kaibutsu.
The Long Cast was my first popping rod and till today I still use it as a backup rod.
maybe a little heavy, but indestructible, which is important to me, as I love the fight in heavy surf.
prices are good, and you get a real solid rod for what you pay for.

greetz

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I think it is important to make the point that if you are going to opt for a Saragosa or a Saltist, please do not expect that the reels are going to perform to the standards of a Saltiga or a Stella over a reasonable period of use. That is just not realistic. They are at best a compromise based on price.

I have over a long period of time broken every single Saltiga and Stella I have used in some way or another and this extends to every Saltiga and Stella released by both companies since the F series Stellas. The only reel I haven't used and I have no intention to is the latest 6500 series Saltiga. I'm not going to go into the reasons why outside of the personal opinion I have that the Dogfight is a stronger reel.

I don't fish a particularly strong drag pressure although there will be times when the reel is asked to go to the mid-teens but normally, my set drag is in the 10-12kg range. This drag pressure used trip in and trip out have compromised everything in my reels ranging from the main gears to the main shaft. If this is happening to Stellas and Saltigas that are used regularly this way, what will happen to reels like the Saragosa and Saltist if they are treated in the same manner?

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying these reels. I am simply trying to inject a dose of realism into this discussion. The fact that the Saltist survived one trip to Oman is meaningless to me because I know nothing of the anglers and how the reels were fished. I note that the Saltist has a maximum drag of 15kgs which means its useable drag is probably more around 10-12kg. It would mean something if they survived trip after trip in the hands of someone who really knows how to fish for GTs but I know of noone in this category who uses these reels.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Cheap Option = Shimano Saragosa 18000F and Shimano T Curve GT Special - Looking at change from $600.

If your going to be doing it REGULARLY, save your pennies and get a Stella.

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Patrick,
For starting out GT fishing the greatest excitement is getting your lure to a fish and witnessing a massive strike. While important, catching the fish is less important. A decent rod like the Shimano GT Special will get your lure to the fish. I started with a Daiwa sealine bull 6000 hi, upgraded to carbotex washers and set the drag around 9 or 10 kg. When this cheap crap reel breaks I have set my sights on on a stella1800 . But like many I couldn't justify the dollars at the start. I am up to about 40 GT's on this reel. Sure I get dusted a few times but I don't spit the dummie when I can't get to 15 kg drag.

So I am sure you will enjoy GT fishing with mid price reels like the Saragossa or saltist. buy some halco roosters and a few dumbbell 200s maybe even some r2s doggie stick baits and have a go! You can go GT fishing on a budget, just not as consistently successfully reliably

If you get hooked then unfortunately your children will probably never see a cent inheritance

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
There is a guy at work that loves his US reels and his big spin number is the Penn Torque. He loves it and can't rate it highly enough. He's not a 'sport fisher' parse, rather he is a bit more sedentary  ;) having said that he regularly catches big Spanish & solid GT's (trolling lures).

He cant fault the reel. Having said that, because they dont distribute them here, importing from the states comes with its costs and warranty claiming issues.  They are a physically substantial reel as well. All told I think the cost runs pretty close to the two main players in this market anyway and you're still exposed to the support issues.

He has a black one that is accented with gold rather than the all gold model that was pictured earlier. It's a Slightly better looking reel but still pretty bloody unattractive  ;D
When people hear hoof beats, they think "Horses"
When I hear hoof beats.  I think "Zebra's" :)

Patrick Parisienne

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Brandon, I don't doubt that a reel half the cost, or less of say a Stella will not last as long, just logic. Those who believe otherwise aren't realistic. But I think 'bang for buck' is important. Still blows me away that you can kill even those sort of reels! You guys fish hard!!!!!

It's just good to know that as a beginner, or part time GT fisho, that lower end stuff can still do the job. I have started collecting lures, some of which Graham mentioned. I can already day any kids of mine will poor with how much I've poured into other tackle!!!

Steve Li

Brandon, I don't doubt that a reel half the cost, or less of say a Stella will not last as long, just logic. Those who believe otherwise aren't realistic. But I think 'bang for buck' is important. Still blows me away that you can kill even those sort of reels! You guys fish hard!!!!!

It's just good to know that as a beginner, or part time GT fisho, that lower end stuff can still do the job. I have started collecting lures, some of which Graham mentioned. I can already day any kids of mine will poor with how much I've poured into other tackle!!!

Well said Patrick! Highlighting the use of the reel at a place like Southern Oman and hearing only positive reviews from the users serves as a reference only. Its just saying that it should be a decent reel to be able to survive even ONE round at such a demanding place. A crappy reel may not even last through the day, never mind an entire week of heavy use. Nobody said the Saltist is as reliable or could perform like a Saltiga / Stella. That's just simply unrealistic expectations......

Buy what you are comfortable with that's within your budget. As for bang for buck, my recommendation will be the Saltist as I am primary a Daiwa user. There will be other suggestions and recommendations based on the preference of other anglers. Do some research on your own then decide what works for you. Cheers!

Steve

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Again, a Saragosa will do the job. I used one for years, a couple of liveaboard charters a year and some trailer boat trips and never had any issues!

I've up graded to a Stella now, and brought a new Saragosa for jigging!

Patrick Parisienne

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Just good to know if my current gear packs up, and I haven't got the $$ at hand for premium reel,  I can spend $300 and be confident...

Thanks also to some members who have offered well priced items for sale, to get me going. Much appreciated!!!!

Cheers,

Pat

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I was surprised that the Saltiga came in a close third behind the Penn. Doesn't seem to be many fisherman using the Penn, can anyone comment as to why?
Its a bang for your buck rating and the new Saltigas cost much more than the USA Stella let alone the Torque. Not saying its a lousy reel in this company just that the $/performance equation is stronger in this case.

What makes you say that Sachin? I can't find anything in Alan's reviews which state that monetary value is a negative on the Saltiga 2010, and that this effects his top 5 list? Certainly a chance I could not find a reference to that, but it seems he does not take it into account at all.

In summary his review is basically good on the Saltiga 2010, but the Penn is better and Stella clearly better than both.  Whilst there will always be some element of opinion in this, Alan does take an objective, engineering-driven approach to his reel reviews.
Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:13:52 PM by Mark Harris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Brandon's post is right on the money and there can be little to add to that.

Patrick, I hope you are able to sift through the replies here and come to the right solution for yourself.

Patrick Parisienne

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Yes, many thanks for all the advice!
from all this I can say that if and when my current reel gives up, and finances allow, an 18k Stella would be the go. ( nearly all my reels are Shimano, very happy) I would use this for Bluefin tuna as well. This is especially true if I contract a case of GT addiction!!!!

If the warchest is low on funds, then an 18k Saragosa will suffice.

Rod wise, I think a rod in the $500-$700(new) bracket (i have been gratefully offered some 2nd hand) will be the next purchase. Again if an addiction takes hold, and I upgrade, I know I'll have a good back up stick with me....

Cheers,

Pat

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
I was surprised that the Saltiga came in a close third behind the Penn. Doesn't seem to be many fisherman using the Penn, can anyone comment as to why?
My bad. He had some gear ranked by cost hence my thoughts.
Its a bang for your buck rating and the new Saltigas cost much more than the USA Stella let alone the Torque. Not saying its a lousy reel in this company just that the $/performance equation is stronger in this case.

What makes you say that Sachin? I can't find anything in Alan's reviews which state that monetary value is a negative on the Saltiga 2010, and that this effects his top 5 list? Certainly a chance I could not find a reference to that, but it seems he does not take it into account at all.

In summary his review is basically good on the Saltiga 2010, but the Penn is better and Stella clearly better than both.  Whilst there will always be some element of opinion in this, Alan does take an objective, engineering-driven approach to his reel reviews.

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Patrick,

The conundrum is trying to find budget tackle to do a top end task! Quality does outlast inferior budget gear, fact.  A crap reel is more likely to fail you, where as a carefully selected mid range rod like those mentioned GT Special, Berkley Viper etc will do the job & land decent fish, just weighing a few more grams or lacking a bit of finesse, might not work the chosen lure as sweetly as brand X.

GT fishing is pretty much the pinnacle of the angling sport, plus flavour of the moment appearing on all the covers of fishing mags / dvd's etc..  The evolution of the sport, tackle & ways of sharing information means that a serious GT adventure is top of the list for anglers of all ages & experiences.   

To do such trips regularly be it in QLD as you are or around the globe, and being equipped with all the best equipment required for every occassion, is a rich mans sport pure and simple... A quiver of quality rods and reels for a week long trip could surpass the entire cost of the adventure itself!

There are charters that provide top gear included in the price, effectively saving you the $1000's purchase you may use once a year.
You'd hate to lose your dream fish due to tackle failure.  There is also something rewarding about using your own gear & seeing it catch fish.

Good luck asking the boss for a pay rise!!

Cheers David
Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:01:09 PM by David Noble

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
If a Penn Torque had been released 12 years earlier would it have been labelled the best performing reel on the market? Would it have attracted legions of followers & therefor picked up the fashion award by default??? 

There have been many bold releases by tackle companies.  Just pondering style over substance and vice versa.