67er

But baitcasting blanks are built primarily for accuracy, not distance. For distance with a GT rod, I cannot see how you can possibly cast a short handled rod as far as a longer handled rod. It is a simple matter of leverage

Never mind if it is not for distance. We are discussing about the furthest one can hit with 3 types of handle to conclude that short or longest handle is not necessary the right or wrong thing. It is all about using the right handle length for different action of blanks. There is a right balance to every blank and angler; the longest of handle will mean a shorter length to load and propel the popper. Too short a handle on a stiff and long rod will create too great a leverage against the angler. We gone down that path before on how I cant find the right rod to build.

Daniel Chee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Jon,
Never had that problem; with or without gloves as the grip was still big enough for me to prevent the fingers from "digging" into my palm. Havent compared but perhaps I have a small hand with respect to my size ;D

Anyway I tend to get more of the claw syndrome when I use only the top two "segments" of the fingers to grip onto a big grip vs when I can use the whole of the fingers to grip round the grip itself.

Abit of interesting read, the grip size was decided after testing with a focus group of anglers, where different sizes of grips were used to see which allowed the angler to exert the most force, and at the same time also hang on to a dead load for the longest period of time.

Cheers

Hi Dan ,

In my case , the foregrip size must suit one's hand , in tennis racket I use 4 1/2 grip and when I tried playing with my daughter's racquet , each time I do my stroke I wud twist the racquet due to too small a grip . My fingers are pressing against my hand and preventing me from gripping the racquet tightly .

The same with rod ( any kind ) , lest you want Brandon's " .... claw " syndrome , the grip must suit one's hand and I stand by my statement that Caranx Kaibutsu's foregrip is a little too small for me , it's no bigger than the butt grip of my bass rod . I am a smaller guy than you so your hand must be bigger than mine , I wonder how you can exert strong enough grip under substantial pressure from the big fish fighting for it's life ?

Jon . 

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
"Claw syndrome" cannot be avoided after five straight days of popping! The thing is I get it in both hands, not just the hand holding the rod
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Daniel Chee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Hi Yu Hock,
When I first started popping about 10 years back, there were hardly any purpose built rods that were available for us to use. That period before the influx of Japanese rods that came in saw us experimenting with quite a few different blanks to get something to suit our needs. One of the better working ones was a 2 pc Graphcast which was from CD if I remember correctly. If you dont mind a mid joint blank, the rod was not excessively stiff and yet had pretty reasonable power for mid size GTs to 30kg. Probably could be close to what you wanted if you wished to do your short butt pop rod.

But baitcasting blanks are built primarily for accuracy, not distance. For distance with a GT rod, I cannot see how you can possibly cast a short handled rod as far as a longer handled rod. It is a simple matter of leverage

Never mind if it is not for distance. We are discussing about the furthest one can hit with 3 types of handle to conclude that short or longest handle is not necessary the right or wrong thing. It is all about using the right handle length for different action of blanks. There is a right balance to every blank and angler; the longest of handle will mean a shorter length to load and propel the popper. Too short a handle on a stiff and long rod will create too great a leverage against the angler. We gone down that path before on how I cant find the right rod to build.

Daniel Chee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Hi Brandon,
On 2 hands?? :o
Are you sure you did not get the claw syndrome on your other hand from doing some other unthinkable thing? lol...

Jokes aside, reality is that I get that too, I guess it just is part and parcel of GT popping.....Squeezing on a squash ball to exercise the fingers several months before your trip helps a little though.......

"Claw syndrome" cannot be avoided after five straight days of popping! The thing is I get it in both hands, not just the hand holding the rod

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

Abit of interesting read, the grip size was decided after testing with a focus group of anglers, where different sizes of grips were used to see which allowed the angler to exert the most force, and at the same time also hang on to a dead load for the longest period of time.

Hi Dan ,

The problem with " static " test is that , what really happens during the real time may somewhat differ .

For example , putting the gimbal lower , say the bottom part of the gimbal just above the knee may proved to be cumbersome when you have to move around the boat to anticipate the movement of the active fish , for me the most favourable position is to have the fulcrum of the rod butt at just about where my vital part is , with Caranx Kaibutsu long handle , this is not possible by a long shot .

As for grip , too small a grip feel slippery around my gloved hands which in real time , must move as one pumps the rod ( upand down ward as well as sideways ) , again to counteract the movements of the fish , I wud prefer a bit more diameter for the foregrip than the one on Caranx Kaibutsu .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Daniel Chee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Hi Jon,

Obviously after "static" tests were done, real time tests had to follow to verify the specs.

Cheers

Hi Dan ,

The problem with " static " test is that , what really happens during the real time may somewhat differ .

For example , putting the gimbal lower , say the bottom part of the gimbal just above the knee may proved to be cumbersome when you have to move around the boat to anticipate the movement of the active fish , for me the most favourable position is to have the fulcrum of the rod butt at just about where my vital part is , with Caranx Kaibutsu long handle , this is not possible by a long shot .

As for grip , too small a grip feel slippery around my gloved hands which in real time , must move as one pumps the rod ( upand down ward as well as sideways ) , again to counteract the movements of the fish , I wud prefer a bit more diameter for the foregrip than the one on Caranx Kaibutsu .

Jon .

67er

Hi Yu Hock,
When I first started popping about 10 years back, there were hardly any purpose built rods that were available for us to use. That period before the influx of Japanese rods that came in saw us experimenting with quite a few different blanks to get something to suit our needs. One of the better working ones was a 2 pc Graphcast which was from CD if I remember correctly. If you dont mind a mid joint blank, the rod was not excessively stiff and yet had pretty reasonable power for mid size GTs to 30kg. Probably could be close to what you wanted if you wished to do your short butt pop rod.

Thanks Dan, but I got a FOC one from a manufacturer to work on. Just need to rework on the butt section a little to find my own sweet spot. Will definitely try your low mount method when opportunity arises. ;)

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Am about to set out getting ready for mi Maldives popping trip in March 09. Saw this rod in shop. Was advised by my kakis on board the same trip to try the rod out first due to its long butt.

Here, i read about Dan giving advise on using a lower mount belt to counter the effect of the long butt. Im using a OEM belt which was mounted, quite similar to a Sevensea belt. Im pretty sure, this would make mi stance very cumbersome due to the long butt. So i asked, which belt u guys have in mind that would suit the Kaibutsu without breaking the back and the bank?

Im looking at the 8'6 model. Would matching it with a Ryobi Safari be good?

An OT question here, Would a Ryobi Safari filled with Avani GT PE 5 be enough for the GTs in Maldives?

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Stockie. I use my Deep Monster Kaibutsu a fair bit. I personally like it and the long butt in my opinion is to enable a bit more leverage. I use a fairly wide gimbal belt with it. Made by Braid. A bit heavy but comfortable. I am 5 feet 11 and weigh 90kg. Also enjoy using my Wild Violence 80HX but have not found a fish big enough to seriously load it yet.

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi sachin chaudhry,

Thx for the heads up about the belt u use.

Any more suggestions?

Brandon,luke.. All the gurus here.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Firstly - I ain't no guru, not even close!  ;D  Second, we can all only give you our opinions. You have to feel and test it for yourself to establish your own comfort level.

I can't provide you with any advice on the use of the Caranx Kaibatsu as I just don't have any extended experience with the rod. I have, however, experienced the longer butt with a WV83XH STR and what I can tell you is that the longer butt doesn't suit me personally. It's a matter of personal feel but I prefer a gimbal that sits higher, just below my waist so the lower gimbal mount for a Kaibatsu dosn't suit me personally.

I also cannot provide you with any views on the Ryobi Safari outside of the fact that the people who have used it seem to have been quite satisfied with it. In terms of its suitability in the Maldives with PE5, it might be helpful for you if you PM wongkz who has a Safari and has fished quite a bit around the Maldives.

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thx Brandon,

Im looking for a low mount belt, any reccommand. Saw the GT Max, very very beautiful, but would it be suitable for a long butt rod?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
no, unfortuntely, it is not. That is one fo the belts I use and while you could loosen it and wear it lower, it isn't designed for this. The belt is curved and meant to sit higher.

You could look at some of the low mount belts like the Jigging Masters.

Thx Brandon,

Im looking for a low mount belt, any reccommand. Saw the GT Max, very very beautiful, but would it be suitable for a long butt rod?

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
The Bling Bling factor on the GT Max is so enticing!