dante green

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shore based GT popper style fishing?????
December 16, 2012, 08:21:35 PM
What is the record for GT caught by popper from land?

What rod suggestions for land based?

How much harder is it to land a monster class GT from shore vs. from boat?

cheers.

D

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Shore based GT popper style fishing?????
December 16, 2012, 09:05:34 PM
Hi Dante

The IGFA world record was caught from shore. You can see it here: http://wrec.igfa.org/WRecordsList.aspx?lc=AllTackle&cn=Trevally,%20giant

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=3008.msg25900#msg25900

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/unkoking/m/200606

Fukui San, has I think, 4 IGFA lineclass records (Most probably caught on his boat?). But you can see how he catches a nice sized GT from shore here:
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 16, 2012, 10:46:29 PM
What are you like at casting? Also the terain that you will be fishing in will be factors in rod selection

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 17, 2012, 03:57:30 AM
Depending greatly on terrain... Here in Hawaii, your chances of a monster fish from shore is about 1in 50 hookups of monster sized fish. Boat fishing is cheating compared to the rocks, but the rocks are a whole lot more fun because of it  :) :)
Good luck with your hunting!

dante green

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 17, 2012, 02:18:17 PM
Peter:  Thanks for the info!

Sydney:  The area I am fishing at is very deep with massive caves

Nathan:  What is the biggest GT on popper recorded there in Hawaii?

cheers.

D

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 18, 2012, 08:09:31 AM
Wassup Dante,

There have been rumors of a 98lb GT coming off a popper from shore here on Big Island, but i cannot say for sure. A monster class fish in Hawaii is 100lbs or 45kilos. Nothing compared to that dinosaur caught in Tokara, i cant even imagine dealing with a fish like that from shore or boat! Most times the bigger fish just bury themselves in lava caves once you hook them here, no chance. My own best is 32-33kilos, mostly luck though!
Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:57:01 AM by Nathan Tsao

Ben Lai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 19, 2012, 02:33:47 PM
Hi Dante

The IGFA world record was caught from shore. You can see it here: http://wrec.igfa.org/WRecordsList.aspx?lc=AllTackle&cn=Trevally,%20giant

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=3008.msg25900#msg25900

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/unkoking/m/200606

ROD : ZENAQ JIGGER TRUST FOKEETO FC83-7 Trevally
REEL : DAIWA SALTIGA-Z 6000GT + STUDIO OceanMark CUSTOM SPOOL ST6500VII
LINE : YGK YOZ-AMI GALIS ULTRAJIGMAN X8 #8 113Lbs
SPACER : SUNLINE DEEP ONE #30 220Lbs
LEADER : Momoi's Hi-Catch NYLON LEADER #94 250Lbs
FIGHTING LEADER : YGK YOZ-AMI SEAHUNTER #80 330Lbs
LURE : Maggy Gara MarlinModel redmackerel
FRONT HOOK : DECOY SALT WATER TRIPLE HOOK BIG 7/0
REAR HOOK : DECOY SALT WATER TRIPLE HOOK G.T.SPECIAL 8/0

Could someone please educate me about the line system used? What is spacer?

dante green

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 19, 2012, 05:01:02 PM
My inquiring mind also wants to know what the heck is a "spacer."  But hey who cares, he has the record ::)

Cheers.

D

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 19, 2012, 07:53:17 PM
Bite leader? Length of assist jigging cord spliced onto the heavy fighting leader that takes the brunt of the rocks and reef and the next lighter leader for casting and control of the fish once at the base of the rocks?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 19, 2012, 08:46:30 PM
Ben, I don't think you want to be educated on the system used. As I commented in another thread some time back, there are some incredibly complex systems out there and some have been developed simply as a signature rig for some celebrity angler. They offer no real advantage.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

dante green

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 20, 2012, 10:15:52 AM
Ben, I don't think you want to be educated on the system used. As I commented in another thread some time back, there are some incredibly complex systems out there and some have been developed simply as a signature rig for some celebrity angler. They offer no real advantage.

I agree with brandon here.  The more lines connected to each other the better the chance of a break-off.  Keep it simple, mainline to leader. ;)

cheers.

D

Ben Lai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 21, 2012, 06:24:48 PM
Right~
Some day I gonna develop my own signature rig consist of a specific brand of lifevest. LOL

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 23, 2012, 07:20:44 PM
Hey Nathan,
Where exactly in Hawaii do you go to catch GT'S from the shore ??? In NZ most of our biggest Kingies are caught "land based" be it land based may need a canoe to get to it at low tide.They don't get the same level of publicity as boat caught fish because it is hard work carrying all the gear to the right spot.,you cannot reach it from the car park.Most fishing mag writers aren't into this.Live baits are first choice which can mean carrying then in!!!PE8 casting rods are the norm with 200lb leaders.Others use overhead out fits but these are more susceptible to line failure due to rocky terrain.
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 23, 2012, 09:12:10 PM
Wassup Neville,

You can catch GT from shore just about anywhere in Hawaii, though our fishery is quite poor comparatively to most places. Most of the time i keep a few rods rigged in my truck and fish the areas around my workplace before work in the early mornings. Just today while i was eating lunch my friend landed a 21kilo GT on a popper from right behind my workplace where some jumbo waves were hitting the cliffs.
Typically the farther you get from people, the better the fishing gets around here. When time allows, the best spots are anywhere from 1.5 mile to 9 mile hikes in to remote areas.
As for overhead rigs, i experience the opposite. My preference is to throw overhead 80% of the time with long leaders. I find much better abrasion resistance with these rigs compared to spinning outfits, along with much greater casting distance. Lava rock caves are the great equalizer in our fishery, and sometimes the fish just bury themselves too deep in them to get them out. PE8 with 12m of 100-125lb leader + 2m of 250lb tippet is my standard shoreline GT rig. Casting distance of 100m+ is critical to getting bites at my spots, and overhead reels are the only way to reach that distance with a long leader.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is a spot in the middle of nowhere, where the waves will kill you if you're not paying attention. This is also what it looks like getting your butt kicked by a 30kg+ fish with poor footing in a dangerous spot. Lost this one big time ;D

Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 09:14:19 PM by Nathan Tsao

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 24, 2012, 05:58:07 PM
Hi Nathan, thanks for that,very usefull.We are not exactly comparing apples with apples but I understand where you are coming from.The overheads heads are often two speed and Livieswith ballons are lobbed out.Not the same as casting popper or sick baits.A Livie for a GT is definitely on my agenda .Reckon a Flying Fox Rig is the way to go.Will let you know if I have any luck
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!