Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shore based GT popper style fishing?????
December 30, 2012, 10:32:28 PM
Some truly brutal sounding rods there.

I have always been intrigued by the Ripple Fisher Infinity Shore 102. Not a PE10 rod admittedly, but a PE8 rod designed specifically to catch GTs from shore at Tokara. It must therefore be up for some seriously heavy duty work. As few people seem to use chuggers in Japan, I am guessing it is a stickbait rod. It is a two piece and I am guessing a butt join?  And as is the Ripple Fisher way, very light at just 420 grams.

I was told that only a few of these were ever made.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 30, 2012, 10:56:26 PM
I have one, Mark.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Vinh Nguyen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 31, 2012, 06:28:31 AM
Mark, the RF Infinity Shore is a split joint I believe.  I think the only Japan butt jointed rod above 9ft would be the MC Works Raging Bull 938XX, the other Raging Bull models are split joints.  I read somewhere that Ripple Fisher were testing some prototype pe10-12 shore rods at Tokara but haven't seen anything released to into the market yet.  Pretty sick because they were catching Dogtooth from shore! :o

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 31, 2012, 07:33:21 AM
I think Dante is chasing the 9 footer because his fish will be fighting under and behind him anymore than 9 foot and he has a good chance of being flipped, hav'nt chased XO GT's like this but have caught some monster grouper in the pylon.
Go the 8foot6 and stand closer to the edge :-)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 31, 2012, 11:45:27 AM
I have one, Mark.

Great to know Brandon. I would absolutely love to hear a bit about this rod from an actual user! Please :)

dante green

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 31, 2012, 04:36:11 PM
I think Dante is chasing the 9 footer because his fish will be fighting under and behind him anymore than 9 foot and he has a good chance of being flipped, hav'nt chased XO GT's like this but have caught some monster grouper in the pylon.
Go the 8foot6 and stand closer to the edge :-)

Thanks Sydney, that's exactly my point.  In my opinion, a 10ft + rod just doesn't have much head turning power oppose to a 9ft.  For me, a 9ft is just right for distance and at the same time boosting leverage. 

cheers.

D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 31, 2012, 05:54:21 PM
The rod has a slower taper than what I am normally used to but that is to be expected for a rod its length. I see it as a PE6-8 rod. No problem with poppers up to around 130-140g, I think. I don't know what else to say - I don't have any expertise whatsoever when it comes to shore based rods.

I have one, Mark.

Great to know Brandon. I would absolutely love to hear a bit about this rod from an actual user! Please :)
If it swims; I want to catch it!

max renigado

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 12, 2014, 10:23:47 AM
some updates for landbase/shore gt fishing

zenaq defi muthos HHH is one option readily available from JDMTackle

right now i am borrowing a 10'6" Black Hole Surf rod matched to a 10k gosa n 65pp. used it 3 time so far casting lures ranging from 60g -120g. 100g seem to be the best weight the rod can cast in to the wind. works stickbaits very nicely and can pop/walk the dog a 120g heru skipjack very easily.

going out tomorrow with a buddy to get his opinion of the rod.

other fishermen from the island Of Hawaii are stretching bushido blanks 200-600 to 10'6". most are set up to cast overhead and one set up for a spinner.

i'll have to dig up the review of the stretch 600 that i have on my fb plugging page.

there is a few more rods that are being developed for hawaii shore gt popping. they should be getting tested this summer.

Blaine Tsukayama

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 12, 2014, 11:06:48 AM
I have a 938xx raging bull rod and this rod is nasty.  Solid backbone and can cast lures in the 180 gram range comfortably.  Only had it for 2 months and looking for a big fish on it.

Had the ripple fisher runner exceed final spirit 100sxh.  Another great shore rod and easily handled a 20# bluefin trevally. Sweetspot is 120 to 150 grams

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
April 12, 2014, 10:07:47 PM
We dont have GT's in the Arabian Gulf.

But that does not prevent me from preparing for trips later in the year as well as testing gear.

Here I am casting a 150g Cubera Popper with the 106BH Cape Cod.

The rod launch the popper easily out to 80 odd meters.

I also cast 80g and 90g poppers and stick baits with no probelms on distance...

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 13, 2014, 03:02:29 PM
Aloha Gerhard,

The 106N is one of the noodliest blanks available. It's a nice material, but is very much softer action than any other rod suitable for shoreline GTs. If you have room in the budget for a different rod, I would definitely search for another stick.

Good shoreline equipment is always hard to find, hope you are able to find something. It's even harder since the guys over on Kauai horde gear by the truckload (Blaine)!!!

Blaine Tsukayama

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 13, 2014, 04:51:51 PM
Hahaha.  Yes Nate we(aaron, andy and grayson) have a good amount of shore here. 

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
April 15, 2014, 03:00:00 AM
Aloha Gerhard,

The 106N is one of the noodliest blanks available. It's a nice material, but is very much softer action than any other rod suitable for shoreline GTs. If you have room in the budget for a different rod, I would definitely search for another stick.

Good shoreline equipment is always hard to find, hope you are able to find something. It's even harder since the guys over on Kauai horde gear by the truckload (Blaine)!!!

Howzit Nathan,

For now the 106N is fine for my needs as I dont have GT's here in the Arabian Gulf.

I would still love to try it from shore on GT's and will keep you posted...

Tight Lines from Saudi desert