Adrian Gumban

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Terminal Knot with 2 Contact Points
July 21, 2013, 12:59:53 PM
After reading this thread I did a bit of searching on google & came across the palomar knot. It is super easy to tie & cinches down really well with heavy mono

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 21, 2013, 04:20:22 PM
After reading this thread I did a bit of searching on google & came across the palomar knot. It is super easy to tie & cinches down really well with heavy mono

I suspect it may be a bit bulky for heavy leader.

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 21, 2013, 05:56:32 PM
A good few knots here to try over the summer!! I've used a simple 3 turn clinch knot for a long time and never had any failure, the only thing is to make sure you seat it properly to start so there is no slippage. Give a good pull with the PE pullers till the leader starts to stretch and burn off the end.

A couple of issues this passed season with clients using the chain knot and also when clients have looped the leader around the terminal twice if not done correctly the leader overlaps and cuts or there is to much pressure on one strand and pops.

Cheers,
Nick

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 21, 2013, 06:07:12 PM
Along with a simple snell for eye-less hooks, I think the Palomar was the first knot I learned as a young kid. Works great with light mono and even with braid, but I can't see it with 200 lb shock leader.

Adrian Gumban

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 21, 2013, 09:20:42 PM
Along with a simple snell for eye-less hooks, I think the Palomar was the first knot I learned as a young kid. Works great with light mono and even with braid, but I can't see it with 200 lb shock leader.

You will be surprised. I tested this knot with 210lb sunline shock leader & it cinched up perfect. I used to use the trilene knot for all my connections but think I will start using this knot. It is just so easy to tie & isn't that bulky, no more bulky than any of the uni style knots.

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
February 14, 2014, 07:32:07 PM
Apologies for raising an old thread but I just wondered if anyone has had chance to field test any of the knots mentioned, particularly the Jansik ?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 14, 2014, 11:30:43 PM
Chris I use either a double threaded uni or a trilene (no real preference for either) every time I fish for GTs now.  No issues at all.

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
February 17, 2014, 02:59:29 AM
Very nice knots...

Time to learn a knot or two again.

Thanks for the info shared...

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 17, 2014, 05:42:23 AM
I've been using a crimped connection or a uni knot with no real problems for Kingis but really like the look of the Jansik knot , I mainly use 130lb leader , would two loops be okay or should I use three with this weight of leader , cheers ?

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 08, 2014, 02:04:42 PM

Gave the Jansik a try , but just interested if anyone else is still giving it the thumbs up ?

Jason Haack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
December 20, 2014, 08:45:23 PM
I've been testing the Jansik over the last 6 months and have found the knot fails regularly on the strike.
Today saw 2 jansik connections fail on the strike with GT's lost around the 30kg mark, the knots where pre tensioned and leader was 170lb fisherman. Both fish hit hard and my strikes were solid and this when the knot let's go.
I've tested the Jansik on leaders from 40lb to 200lb and found lighter leaders fail more regularly.
Won't be continuing with this knot and will go back to the Trilene which if tied well hasn't failed me yet.
Interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:52:28 AM by Jason Haack

Thomas Maxted

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 21, 2014, 08:36:22 AM
A good knot seems to be the one used on Nomad Sportfishing
There is a video on how to tie it I am sure it is a knot you have already mentioned it hasn't failed for them but it would be the only other knot I tie along with the 5 turn Uni knot.
Why did Brandon only use a 2 turn Uni knot ? I can tie a 6 turn Uni knot in 130lb leader and I would find another knot to tie in 170lb leader.